NSD: 2009 PS SANTANA

SOMETHING LIKE THIS:

AVvXsEj7DpkTpX03kFPphEn_3VEi918F9zExKr3Pa6-6NHRtNgbXT_4GF8DqqRvxP6cTNykfc31mY2RLqLsljWzibdL2qapn90hK9yxwfzpTJt92hJ2MHFtEGXccPgAK3Lp2anQpu6mQSKgL5-uwrYjQ9VL5ZZbXKkD68k4kKLN-2umQ1STvPI9onMtTVujU=s4032

I'm digging the zebra pickups on the Santana body--that just seems so "right" (thinking of the original Santana & the West St. guitars). The gold polepieces were a nice added touch, too.

I'm digging the zebra pickups on the Santana body--that just seems so "right" (thinking of the original Santana & the West St. guitars). The gold polepieces were a nice added touch, too.
I think zebra pickups were very common on Santana IIs, if not the spec for a time. I decided to go with BKP VHIIs on this with CTS pots and 1K5 neck/2K2 bridge resistor taps. These pickups split incredibly well, the sound is divine. And the rock tones on this guitar are just insane. I need to knock the string gage down to 9.5 or 9s to get the slink back, but the tone is super rad. I discovered this guitar has Phase II locking tuners, so I'm waiting for compatible buttons to finish the look. Full body shot forthcoming.

A bit of frustration here, maybe someone can enlighten me. This guitar has what appear to be Phase II tuners, but I can't find buttons that fit properly, even with ones that say "Phase II compatible". These tuners have a button post that's wider in diameter than Phase IIIs. They have lands cut in them like Phase IIIs, but neither Phase III nor Phase I/II buttons will fit. The tuner body has a hole location that makes them look like they're Phase IIs. Installing Phase IIIs would require new holes. Don't really want to do that. Anyone seen buttons that fit these? I'm looking for natural flame maple.

lwe6oqgbsn99qewjprtc.jpg

Problem solved. I found some buttons by Tone Ninja that fit the bill. I wanted some curly maple buttons, but could only find ones in “White Galalith”, which sounded all Viking and badass so I decided to try them. They’re more opaque than I’d prefer, but they’ll work for now. (Edit: Looking at this low-light photo makes these buttons look like hot garbage, and frankly, they likely won't last long. I think I'll look for some curly maple versions after all. I am glad I found some buttons that fit, however. )

AVvXsEjtPV7G8ZVjT6Ol1L_WPxdHW-YMcgUeMwrACbxeuLTifywAqiEcVKYfbRcMPVJkhV9XELdyUT2-XJnTYfvivKymQnary-5QGQ3Uv5VEd0MNnPdLFaqN4v2fcc2q0mIbGq9VgBoMlWHRHP6gMvrtsYN8NYlROqDIZHXuzsSKN7LGZJ2nLZocibeT65VZ=s4032

Here’s the full frontal:

AVvXsEiQjwMq7h-Z-hKf_FK0TVA10V3vD5orwJ-GbVRHHFJ0jf91qw_vyeQcnNKJvB-TRbf5-FxMm3yoZxfp6eKmxeHIGBL46z3K2aFffELsQa5tXsb-XmYBHPDLsYGiGJFCw7d6_NlCkNbt0T466YLdOUfRG3ac9f4jEyqm2O_tmvkC1p7dc9ugRLcx52To=s4032

Not too shabby?

Last edited:
Problem solved. I found some buttons by Tone Ninja that fit the bill. I wanted some curly maple buttons, but could only find ones in “White Galalith”, which sounded all Viking and badass so I decided to try them. They’re more opaque than I’d prefer, but they’ll work for now. (Edit: Looking at this low-light photo makes these buttons look like hot garbage, and frankly, they likely won't last long. I think I'll look for some curly maple versions after all. I am glad I found some buttons that fit, however. )

AVvXsEjtPV7G8ZVjT6Ol1L_WPxdHW-YMcgUeMwrACbxeuLTifywAqiEcVKYfbRcMPVJkhV9XELdyUT2-XJnTYfvivKymQnary-5QGQ3Uv5VEd0MNnPdLFaqN4v2fcc2q0mIbGq9VgBoMlWHRHP6gMvrtsYN8NYlROqDIZHXuzsSKN7LGZJ2nLZocibeT65VZ=s4032

Here’s the full frontal:

AVvXsEiQjwMq7h-Z-hKf_FK0TVA10V3vD5orwJ-GbVRHHFJ0jf91qw_vyeQcnNKJvB-TRbf5-FxMm3yoZxfp6eKmxeHIGBL46z3K2aFffELsQa5tXsb-XmYBHPDLsYGiGJFCw7d6_NlCkNbt0T466YLdOUfRG3ac9f4jEyqm2O_tmvkC1p7dc9ugRLcx52To=s4032

Not too shabby?
Not that it matters but, I approve!

Not that it matters but, I approve!
It always matters, bro. :cool:

I just ordered some maple buttons to replace these with. They're too chiclet for my taste. I have plenty of other Phase III tuner buttons, I just mistook these in the photo for Phase IIIs. This guitar slays. The rock is mean and the splits are surprisingly good.

Back