Northern Lights In A Core Model?

phoenixbt

I love the northern lights finish, but don’t have the funds for a private stock right now. Have there been runs of core models in this finish? Ideally looking for a DGT or CU24, but wasn’t sure if this was done/where to even look?

Thanks!

LOL nope, pretty sure it hasn't. EDIT: I stand corrected. See below.

And just so's you know -- it's not exclusive for exclusive's sake -- it's a pretty fancy finish, that requires extra expert craftspersonship with the stain -- they don't even let everyone at the shop work on some of those stains. I don't know how many layers they have to get right to do that stain, but it's at least three. And it's not like a burst where one colour is next to the other, they actually sand and stain and sand the stained wood, and stain again with an entirely different colour, in a way that the different stains "take" to different parts of the grain, so the colours are interleaved.

The fuchsia is the same way. I don't know how many others there are.

It's worth it once you drum up the funds -- they've got a three-dimensionality to them that is just gorgeous when you move it around in the light.

Last edited:
Well, technically yes. I"ll explain. Some dealers order some special runs of guitar models from the Core line but then add on some fancy things which you might only find in a Wood Library classification of guitar model, AND they do apply some finishes to these guitars which are typically only available in the Private Stock line. I have two (maybe three) guitars like this which I bought from a very well known PRS dealer who spec'd out these special runs of guitars. In my case, each guitar is a normal core model with a really nice top, Brazilian Rosewood and a color typically reserved for PS. Northern Lights was one of the colors I looked at VERY hard and almost bought but wound up going with River Blue, Absinthe (green) and Frostbite Fade.

PRS-2016-594-RiverBlue_2764.jpg

PRS-2018_CU24-08.jpg

PRS-2019_Cu24-WL-CharFade-1.jpg

(When I bought this Frostbite Fade, PRSh was there, w both looked over this guitar and "Stunning" was the word we both agreed upon to describe this guitar. Then he signed the back of the headstock for me "To Danny".

Well, technically yes. I"ll explain. Some dealers order some special runs of guitar models from the Core line but then add on some fancy things which you might only find in a Wood Library classification of guitar model, AND they do apply some finishes to these guitars which are typically only available in the Private Stock line. I have two (maybe three) guitars like this which I bought from a very well known PRS dealer who spec'd out these special runs of guitars. In my case, each guitar is a normal core model with a really nice top, Brazilian Rosewood and a color typically reserved for PS. Northern Lights was one of the colors I looked at VERY hard and almost bought but wound up going with River Blue, Absinthe (green) and Frostbite Fade.

PRS-2016-594-RiverBlue_2764.jpg

PRS-2018_CU24-08.jpg

PRS-2019_Cu24-WL-CharFade-1.jpg

(When I bought this Frostbite Fade, PRSh was there, w both looked over this guitar and "Stunning" was the word we both agreed upon to describe this guitar. Then he signed the back of the headstock for me "To Danny".
Wow those are some stunners there! Are they all from the same shop? Thanks for the info too - I didn’t realize that on the special runs. I guess that’s what I need to keep an eye out for unless it’s a PS build.

Yep...I've seen some some limited dealer runs that had some PS finishes, Northern Lights being one of them. I've also seen Beach Fade and (as shown above courtesy of Hanger18) Frostbite Fade.

Yeah, as the others have said, special runs will sometimes get non-standard finishes, and you also have "sprayer's choice" that could be a one off finish. When I bought this back in 2017 the color was listed as "Bruise Burst." Now it's Violet Blue Burst, or something like that.

aZZrwSy.jpg

Ok cool - sounds like I need to keep an eye out for any special runs then. Or save up for the probate stock

We can turn this thread into Northern Lights and similar finish pictures - loving seeing all these beautiful ones!

Yeah, as the others have said, special runs will sometimes get non-standard finishes, and you also have "sprayer's choice" that could be a one off finish. When I bought this back in 2017 the color was listed as "Bruise Burst." Now it's Violet Blue Burst, or something like that.

aZZrwSy.jpg
Wow, Bodia - that is a beautiful top. And, the unfinished stripe down the middle really sets this guitar apart. Nice.

I think ‘frostbite fade’ might be referred to by something else now (like charcoal fade or something?). I say this because I’ve got one, and it wasn’t called that.

But to concur with what others have said, yes limited runs do happen!

Wow those are some stunners there! Are they all from the same shop? Thanks for the info too - I didn’t realize that on the special runs. I guess that’s what I need to keep an eye out for unless it’s a PS build.

As it so happens, yes, they are all from the same store. Just not all on the dame day, but probably more like a year apart each of them.

I think ‘frostbite fade’ might be referred to by something else now (like charcoal fade or something?). I say this because I’ve got one, and it wasn’t called that.

But to concur with what others have said, yes limited runs do happen!

The complexity of the color scheme is more apparent when viewed in person and this guitar was impossible to get a good photo of on the day I bought it. I'll need to redo the photos in better lighting conditions.

That being said, it has also been my experience that PRS colors and their names are not entirely consistent, and I'm certain that the wrong finish name gets assigned to the final finished guitar on a regular basis (when the colors are close to a different finish.) I believe that it has to do with different individuals perceive color differently and many of the Core colors and higher are complex colors which are made up of different colors blended together in layers. Some colors (finishes) are identical to other colors (finishes) with the exception of another color added or removed to/from the recipe. In this case, I'm certain that it is a frostbite fade regardless of what it might have been officially called... I'm not sure it said what color it was anywhere but I'll look the next time I go into the case.

I’m not bothered what mine is actually called, but it’s the same as that.

When stores have their 'anniversary' with PRS they can make a run of Wood Library model in Private Stock colors.
Wildwood guitars, Chuck Levins, Dave's Guitar Shop, Willcutt all have had such runs with Northern Light finishes the past 3 years.

You're gonna have to wait for that or check for used ones that show up from time to time on Reverb.

Here are a few I briefly owned from Wildwood (Frostbite fade, NL) and Chuck Levin's (beach fade and NL):
Se3olMW.jpg

rl8K9jy.jpg

That one I probably shouldn't have sold:
1hN1s8L.jpg

When stores have their 'anniversary' with PRS they can make a run of Wood Library model in Private Stock colors.
Wildwood guitars, Chuck Levins, Dave's Guitar Shop, Willcutt all have had such runs with Northern Light finishes the past 3 years.

You're gonna have to wait for that or check for used ones that show up from time to time on Reverb.

Here are a few I briefly owned from Wildwood (Frostbite fade, NL) and Chuck Levin's (beach fade and NL):
Se3olMW.jpg

rl8K9jy.jpg

That one I probably shouldn't have sold:
1hN1s8L.jpg
Thanks! That’s good to know. Those are all beautiful, but that 594….man

Back