non PRS competition

horax

We've all palyed a lot of guitars through the years.
We all love PRS or we wouldn't be here.

My question is: which guitars have you played that you'd be willing to place as 'on par' with PRS?

I love Heritage Guitars. I've had Gibsons, and they're amazing, but I personally think Heritage is better than Gibson for what I'm looking for.
Fender Custom Shop is nice, but I think PRS core has the edge in terms of quality.

A surprising runner up for me is the Ibanez Prestige line. Was VERY impressed with what was offered for the price, and would gladly put them in the same category.

heritage-artisan-aged-h-150@1400x1050.jpg

rg5320c-dfm-prestige-japon-hh-dimarzio-fr-eb-hd-175149.webp

USA Jackson guitars were the best I played until PRS. Would not call them on par, but are pretty high up the ladder for me. Other one might be Suhr guitars. Also very high up the ladder.

Still would not trade them for my PRSi

I would go Larrivée electrics. I have owned 3 from the early 2010's : RS-4, RS-2 and a TL-4. Still own the last two, sold the RS-4 when buying my Core SSH Ltd and because it was -heavy-, like 70's Norlin era Les Paul heavy but it sounded great.
They still make the successors to my TL-4 called the Baker-T.
Expensive ? Not that much compared to PRS and top shelf woods, excellent finish and playability. Also, until the NF53 came out that was a T-type PRS didn't offer.

Hamer made excellent guitars. I've never gotten my hands on a Standard (the Explorer shape), but I've wanted one for years.

There was a time when I had my first PRS (Custom 24) and a crap ton of Hamer USA guitars. Loved them!
I also had a Terry C. McInturff Glory Custom that I could kick myself for selling.

Back