Non locking tuners?

RJK Tech

So i just bought a really nice wood library 594 with a beautiful one piece top and rosewood neck.

I didn’t realize until it’s arrival today that it has vintage style non locking tuners.

I have several core PRS guitars most of which are wood library. All of them until now have locking tuners.

So i’m looking for some guidance and information on why anyone would want non locking tuners on a 5k PRS guitar?

Why would a dealer spec one that way?

I don’t subscribe to the vintage idea. So what’s left to convince someone it’s a good option?

Dealer can spec it the way they want. ( to a degree) If it's a 594, then it comes stock with the vintage tuners. I'm sure there is a drop in locking tuner you can swap in.

i’m looking for some guidance and information on why anyone would want non locking tuners on a 5k PRS guitar?

Probably because they're not at all necessary, whatsoever. I mean, it's debatable in the first place whether locking tuners really contribute that much to tuning stability with tremolo bridges. (Proper wrapping on the post--plus a well-crafted nut--are just as important, if not more so.) But with a non-tremolo bridge like on the 594? Forget about it. PRS likely uses vintage-style non-locking tuners on these because they look way more "classic."

Yeah, I just put PRS locking tuners on my 2012 SE Orianthi. The main thing they do is to speed string changes. The second thing they do is to help tuning stability right after a string change. Other than that, they do nothing. But if you want to do a gig right after a string change, they are a big help.

Yea, and on premium guitar with a lot of upgrades already, it sure would be nice to be able to do a quick string change.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Last edited:
They changed the 594s to vintage tuners starting with the 2020 model year. Shawn had said it had to do with a slight weight difference that PRS felt improved the tone, if I remember.

I was one who was not a fan of the change back to vintage tuners. They work, like the ones on my 70s guitars work, but it’s a step backwards. I get it that the 594 is a vintage type guitar, so the idea of a vintage looking tuner fits. But PRS Phase 3s were pretty unobtrusive with the little locking screw, and it did make stringing up a snap. And I stabbed holes in my fingers unstringing guitars, like... never, with the locking tuners and have reacquainted myself with that painful ritual again since using the vintage ones.

In the end, it was a zero-benefit-besides-looks change that didn’t make sense to me. A small niggle with a great guitar. They work, and that’s the important thing. If I was given the choice when ordering, I’d have chosen the locking ones every time.

I'm in the camp that like the ease of lockers too. I don't get why they couldn't use locking vintage tuners? I have a few sets that look the same with the locking from the top post vs a thumb wheel.

I'm lazy. I like lockers. The Phase III are a direct drop in. I replaced the vintage tuners on my 2020 DC594 with Phase III. There was a 1.5 oz difference between them. That dropped to .5 oz when I replaced the nickel tuner buttons with the Faux Bone buttons. They do make locking Vintage style tuners now. I ordered a set from John Mann to put on my JW Ltd.

I'm lazy. I like lockers. The Phase III are a direct drop in. I replaced the vintage tuners on my 2020 DC594 with Phase III. There was a 1.5 oz difference between them. That dropped to .5 oz when I replaced the nickel tuner buttons with the Faux Bone buttons. They do make locking Vintage style tuners now. I ordered a set from John Mann to put on my JW Ltd.
Cool! Going to look for those now,

cLTnyuv.jpg

Back