Non-Locking Tuners on Core Custom 22?

drdoom8793

THAT guy at Chick-fil-A
So I recent acquired my first Core PRS, a 2001 Custom 22. What is interesting about this guitar is the fact that it does not have locking tuners. The tuners do have a PRS logo on the back and look very similar to SE tuners. I contacted PRS Customer Service and they advised that during the late 90s/early 2000s, PRS did offer Custom 22s with non-locking tuners.

My question is whether anyone is familiar with these tuners and if any of the PRS locking tuners will fit or if there are any alternatives. I'd really like to avoid drilling new holes if possible. It's a stoptail, so the locking tuners are more for ease of string changes than tuning stability.

A pic would help, but I bet they're the same as used on the Hollowbody guitars at the time, which means Phase II will drop in.

Just like xjbebop said - if it's a hardtail then it's nothing wierd about it.
I've got non locking on my CU22.

6D1B0738-4E06-4002-8B99-8CC7FE8BC2EB_zpssuvtsbgx.jpg

5DDD0F91-7589-4400-979D-7CEFEF98FECC_zpsm5jl0oo9.jpg

If it's a hardtail then you really don't need them....
Yeah I know. The tuning stability is fine, but I prefer the locking tuners because it's a lot easier for string changes. Plus I just prefer the look of the PRS locking tuners

Yeah I know. The tuning stability is fine, but I prefer the locking tuners because it's a lot easier for string changes. Plus I just prefer the look of the PRS locking tuners

I've debated replacing the tuners on my HBII over the years, but the cost vs. benefit doesn't add up to make it a priority.

I just use the lock wrap as recommended by PRS, which is quick and easy. Requires very little string wrapped around the post.

John Mann is doing a mod to the non - locking tuners to add the locking very reasonable price

Back