Locking Tuning Machines

Tombo Baggins

I have been learning guitar for about a year and a half, using a PRS SE Custom 22 electric PRS SE P20E acoustic. I am thinking of putting locking tuners on the electric, but I notice that there are no locking tuners on any of the McCarty models, all the way up to core (I have been lusting after a McCarty 594). Is there some reason why locking tuners are not good for certain kinds of guitar?

I have been learning guitar for about a year and a half, using a PRS SE Custom 22 electric PRS SE P20E acoustic. I am thinking of putting locking tuners on the electric, but I notice that there are no locking tuners on any of the McCarty models, all the way up to core (I have been lusting after a McCarty 594). Is there some reason why locking tuners are not good for certain kinds of guitar?

I don't think it's that they're not good, so much as that Gibson didn't use heavy locking tuners in the 50's and the McCarty is a tribute to Ted McCarty who was the company president and designed guitars for Gibson in the 50's.

The guitars that the McCarty is a tribute to all had Kluson tuners.

Some people feel that replacing Klusons with heavier Grovers or modern locking tuners compromises the vintage tone and makes a 50's Gibson sound different than it did with Klusons.

My 594 (2016) has locking tuners on it from the factory. They did put locking tuners on some years. However, don't let that change your mind on anything. If you know how to string up the standard Kluson style tuners they work great. I use a string locking method, PRS uses the same method, when stringing them up. It reduces the number of winds on the tuner post and works great.

I also believe that GOTOH makes a drop in replacement for the Kluson style tuners that are locking. I think Kluson also makes some.

You can buy PRS vintage locking tuners.

I have a set of these on my SE245, not really needed other than helping a lazy man string up quicker. The unplated brass posts are a nice touch too.

Back