Non Disclosure Agreement

I bought a book on this subject a number of years ago. It was titled something like Music Law. I am not sure where it is at the moment. It had samples of documents in it as well as advice. It covered copyrighting things as well. One thing I remember from it is you can copyright the lyrics but not the chord progressions. If I can locate it I will post again with the types of things that are in it and the actual title of the book.

I bought a book on this subject a number of years ago. It was titled something like Music Law. I am not sure where it is at the moment. It had samples of documents in it as well as advice. It covered copyrighting things as well. One thing I remember from it is you can copyright the lyrics but not the chord progressions. If I can locate it I will post again with the types of things that are in it and the actual title of the book.
Well, let's discuss this for a moment. I have a background in entertainment law and have litigated copyright issues.

First, you own the copyright to your lyrics and music automatically when it's put into a 'tangible medium', like score paper, or a recording, or a MIDI file, etc.

You don't have to register the copyright for it to be valid, however registration offers an extra layer of protection by creating certain legal presumptions, and enables you to access the court system.

Second, there's no legal requirement breaking down each element in a musical composition as 'this is subject to copyright, that's not'. The determination is made based on a number of factors taken as a whole. Plenty of compositions based on chordal mode combinations are subject to copyright.

This can be extremely complicated stuff, and cases that are litigated often rest on the testimony of expert witnesses like musicologists, who often disagree with each other.

You might be surprised to know that the determination as to whether a copyright has been violated isn't a matter of law, it's a matter of the facts in each case for the jury (or judge if there isn't a jury) to decide.

Are you per chance a lawyer? If so, me too brother. I learned along time ago it’s best not to take myself or my (our?) profession too seriously.
I am, but I went into the music biz as a composer full-time in 1991.

I keep a hand in law negotiating music licenses for ad agencies and filmmakers from time to time, but it's something I do on the side. I liked practicing law, but as time went on I wanted to do something else. It was nice to have the opportunity.

What's your legal specialty?

Last edited:
I am, but I went into the music biz as a composer full-time in 1991.

I keep a hand in law negotiating music licenses for ad agencies and filmmakers from time to time, but it's something I do on the side. I liked practicing law, but as time went on I wanted to do something else. It was nice to have the opportunity.

What's your legal specialty?
I know you are. I thought I was responding to jxt.

I’ve been out of the game for over a decade. For the bulk of my career I did murder cases exclusively. I switched to political corruption primarily for the last 5 years of practicing actively. The problem is I’m in New Jersey. We do not have political corruption. What I learned is that there is more honesty and honor among murderers than among politicians.

I’ve been out of the game for over a decade. For the bulk of my career I did murder cases exclusively. I switched to political corruption primarily for the last 5 years of practicing actively. The problem is I’m in New Jersey. We do not have political corruption. What I learned is that there is more honesty and honor among murderers than among politicians.
i’m no lawyer, but i would read your book if you wrote one.

Switch to a practice in Illinois, it’s been like, three years since one of our Governors went to prison.

Oooops!!

I need new glasses.

I tried homicide cases for police officers early in my career; the firm I started with represented police unions, and the union paid for their defense. I felt criminal law was far more interesting than civil practice with all the dull depositions, but somehow I got into med Mal defense and later entertainment law.

I kinda went with opportunities that arose. Sometimes I miss law, but mostly I don't.

Oooops!!

I need new glasses.

I tried homicide cases for police officers early in my career; the firm I started with represented police unions, and the union paid for their defense. I felt criminal law was far more interesting than civil practice with all the dull depositions, but somehow I got into med Mal defense and later entertainment law.

I kinda went with opportunities that arose. Sometimes I miss law, but mostly I don't.
I always considered myself first and foremost a trial lawyer. I was probably as comfortable in the court room as you now are in the studio. So, yes criminal law is where the action was. I tried well over 100 jury cases to verdict. I could give speeches to large audiences and feel at home. Put a guitar in my hand and an audience of 3 and instant stage freight. Occasionally when I want to feel like a rock star I have my wife throw panties. Increasingly I find it more and more difficult to bend down and retrieve them. Plus, I noticed that they have gotten bigger and heavier over the years.

I always considered myself first and foremost a trial lawyer. I was probably as comfortable in the court room as you now are in the studio. So, yes criminal law is where the action was. I tried well over 100 jury cases to verdict. I could give speeches to large audiences and feel at home. Put a guitar in my hand and an audience of 3 and instant stage freight. Occasionally when I want to feel like a rock star I have my wife throw panties. Increasingly I find it more and more difficult to bend down and retrieve them. Plus, I noticed that they have gotten bigger and heavier over the years.
We share similar experiences! I was a trial lawyer as well. I loved being in court.

Cops couldn't plead out, they'd lose their career and were worried about being killed in jail. So in my first three years of practice I was handed opportunities many young lawyers don't get, and tried 20-25 cases to verdict, some large, some small, one that took two months to try, two juries, the whole deal. I tried cases for another 12 years in my own firm, but didn't count 'em up. Though in civil practice, there were fewer trial opportunities.

I tried medical malpractice cases to verdict, too (mostly on the defense side). Doctors didn't want to settle either, so those often went to trial.

I had no patience for the nonsense that often went on in depositions, and in general interrogatories were far less useful in most cases than simply getting testimony on the record. But that's what it was. Crim Law was so much more interesting. And the stakes were higher. Plus, constitutional law issues were fascinating.

But my Med Mal clients and companies I represented presented wonderful opportunities to build a firm, so I went in those directions.

Still, even in retrospect I'm glad I got into what I do now.

Last edited:
Thanks JasonE, much appreciated on the feedback! Les and Tiboy, thanks for your input as well!! I wanted to be a lawyer when I was a kid, and enrolled in the Criminal Justice program my first year in college. There, I started meeting lawyers and quickly decided that I did NOT want to be one of them for several reasons!!! I have some friends who are in practice, so they are not all bad (Les and TiBoy included as far as I can tell), but just the grind of constantly trying to prove x, y or z would have led me to alcoholism and/or suicide I am sure (not that I skipped out of the alcoholism part, pretty sure I nailed that for a couple of decades)!

I know the basics of copyright law, and am not so much worried about that part. I am more worried about the design patents for mechanical devices (which I believe NDA's are used for quite often) I want to discuss with this individual and the artist personas/names which I believe would fall under trademark law. I get that no practicing lawyer is going to participate in something like this, but was just looking for some basic "don't forget to include this and that" or "be sure to include a xyz clause" or "I got bit in the ass because I did not do xyz", but all good and understood! I will simply enjoy the jokes that every thread on this forum turns into regardless of it's original nature and intent.

Party on!!!

Don't sell yourself short, Les. This is the internet. You can be ANYTHING you want, on the internet. The world is your oyster.
It’s true. I once catfished a group of dudes into buying me a guitar because I posed as a 40 something unsuccessful male musician.

No way they woulda come through if they knew I was an attractive 22 year old Asian woman.

It’s true. I once catfished a group of dudes into buying me a guitar because I posed as a 40 something unsuccessful male musician.

No way they woulda come through if they knew I was an attractive 22 year old Asian woman.
LMAO!!!!

Back