Non Disclosure Agreement

Moondog Wily

Howlin' At The Moon!
I know there is a lot of jokes thrown about here regarding the number of blues lawyers who are members (along with dentists)! All fun but I do have a general question about NDA's for music related stuff.

I am about to enter into an agreement with a Producer/engineer to work with me on my upcoming album release as well as some mechanical musical devices I would like to build. I like what I have heard of his work on a production level, and he is also like me, a computer programmer by day. I want him to sign a NDA before we start working together (which he is all for) and although I am VERY comfortable writing a basic NDA using templates available on the interweb, I would like to know if anyone has any do's/don'ts on the topic of NDA's. Here is what I want covered:

1. All lyrics and lyrical concepts are to be protected
2. All music compositions are to be protected
3. All mechanical music component ideas are to be protected

I am just looking for advice to the effect of "Be sure to put in a clause about X, Y, Z" or "Don't forget to list all this that and the other". Lawyer or not, if you have any thoughts or suggestions on this topic, your input is most appreciated!

Here is a link to a print screen of the NDA I used an online wizard to generate. I think it covers everything, but any suggestions on additions or modifications very much welcome (XXX represents the party into which I am making agreement with in most cases - sorry not in text format but the wizard I used said it would be free and then wanted credit card info so I print screened it and will type it up later):

NDA_01.png

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
MW

Without providing legal advice - find someone who knows entertainment law in your area - the fact is that no one in the music business uses an NDA for a production agreement. It's completely unnecessary and inappropriate to the task. The originality of your work and your rights to it are covered by copyright laws.

As far as production agreements go, what you have there is inadequate. Don't be your own lawyer. I'd suggest finding someone who knows what he or she is doing.

Again, I'm not volunteering, I don't want the business, and will decline it if asked.

Deciding what kind of contracts are needed, and what should be in them, is not a job for amateurs. In fact, most lawyers are unfamiliar with entertainment law, and most will say so.

Once again, let me make it clear that this is not legal advice to a client. It's practical advice.

Last edited:
Without providing legal advice - find someone who knows entertainment law in your area - the fact is that no one in the music business uses an NDA for a production agreement. It's completely unnecessary and inappropriate to the task. The originality of your work and your rights to it are covered by copyright laws.

As far as production agreements go, what you have there is inadequate. Don't be your own lawyer. I'd suggest finding someone who knows what he or she is doing.

Again, I'm not volunteering, I don't want the business, and will decline it if asked.

Deciding what kind of contracts are needed, and what should be in them, is not a job for amateurs. In fact, most lawyers are unfamiliar with entertainment law, and most will say so.

Once again, let me make it clear that this is not legal advice to a client. It's practical advice.
I assumed the NDA was for Willy’s guitar pick-bladed circular saw invention.

That’s a drill, not a saw. Totally different.
I neither drill nor saw, Antoninus.

"Why not, master?"

"Too busy with snails and oysters. And I have slaves. Hand me that towel."

"Was that 'towel' or 'trowel', master?"

"Context is everything, Antoninus. I'm getting out of the tub. What do you think I want?"

"Here's your trowel, Master."

One spins on axis and the other would spin laterally! C’mon! Totally different pick attack.

Now I know why geniuses feel lonely.
Antoninus said the same thing to Crassus.

"What are your plans today, Master?"

"Well, after I have Spartacus kill you and crucify him, I plan to conquer Parthia."

"I wouldn't do that, Master."

"Why not, slave?"

"Because the Parthians will kill your son, send you his severed head, and then engage you in battle and kill you."

"Pffft! Whadda You know, you're just a slave!"

Agree. If you’re not getting proper legal advice, it‘s like putting on a condom with pin holes in it. You think your protected until you find out you really weren’t.

Back