Non-adjustable bridge

Is the adjustable bridge a wrap tailpiece swap with no modifications? Is it like a wrap tailpiece with saddles? Just curious.
Looking on purchasing a strait Core McCarty next..
Yup, John Mann makes a good one:
wfEa0Gq.jpg

I will say as someone who uses a lot of palm-mutes, I eventually found the one-piece bridge on my SE Tremonti uncomfortable and swapped for an adjustable replacement. Idk if it was the bridge design or the 10s I use, or maybe it's just in my head, but my palm began getting scratched and raw, and I really like the way the Schroeder bridge feels for palm-muting. Just my preference tho

I like them. They have been on Gibsons for 60 years and have worked. We as guitar players overthink a lot of things IMO.
But my Old 50’s Junior and Goldtop LP and Special never intonated very well.. Apparently after reading this thread, this is not an issue with Paul’s new bridges, which is great to hear…. I do like the Schroder design as well…

My 57 LP Jr. Plays and sounds great. Is it perfectly intoned probably not, do I care ? Not one bit. It plays awesome music. Just think of all the wonderful music these old guitars made. 1000's of classic tunes in all different types of music. Once again too much thought put into all this.

My 57 LP Jr. Plays and sounds great. Is it perfectly intoned probably not, do I care ? Not one bit. It plays awesome music. Just think of all the wonderful music these old guitars made. 1000's of classic tunes in all different types of music. Once again too much thought put into all this.
It’s not about to much thought. If I’m going to spend upwards of $5K or more on a new Wood Library McCarty, I want to be able to intonate it. Not to much to ask.. Good news is Paul figured it out….

Last edited:
The PRS Stoptail is one of the most comfortable bridges I've ever played, and it sounds fabulous. Less parts, less bull****. It's made to intonate perfectly with standard gauge strings in standard tuning, so if you're with the other 90% of guitar players who play in standard tuning, you're golden. If you need to diverge and need an adjustable bridge, then go get one.

Read thru this old thread as I just recently acquired a core McCarty. Interesting takes. I too was initially skeptical of a non intonable stoptail. But I do like the looks over intonable. I’ll post pics of the beauty once I finish cleaning her up

I always suggest that people try different bridges, to see what they like. It is an easier and cheaper way to change a guitar's sound, than changing pickups. I have several varieties of PRS bridges, as well as Wilkenson bridges that cost less than $40.

I always suggest that people try different bridges, to see what they like. It is an easier and cheaper way to change a guitar's sound, than changing pickups. I have several varieties of PRS bridges, as well as Wilkenson bridges that cost less than $40.
That’s a good point. I’ve done the same thing as well. My ‘93 Custom 22 (which is an amazing guitar with the Dragon 1’s) came with the original wrap bridge when I bought it used. The high e and b strings were buzzing cause the 29 year old bridge had seen better days and I replaced it with the newer PRS bridge with the brass inserts. It made a big difference in the clarity of the guitar for both solos/overdrive tones as well as clean rhythm …also installed a resistor/cap treble bleed on the volume control.. perfect now at any setting .I’ve got a Wilkinson on my slide guitar which was a bit to warm sounding… replaced that with a Mann Made intonatable bridge. Night and day difference in clarity

Last edited:
I have one on the most valuable guitar I have. Not inclined to replace it with anything. They're an elegant take on the old one piece wraparounds. The intonation, once you fiddle with each side, is pretty good. You can't adjust saddles but you can adjust the distance of each end of the tailpiece from the posts, which gives you some rudimentary control.

This is a very timely thread resurrection for me. I've been browsing Reverb and have to admit, non-adjustable bridges made me just glance over a lot of guitars I might find interesting.

Do the general statements about no intonation issues in this thread apply to all PRS guitars, including SE models and older models? Most of the specific guitars mentioned are higher level models.

This is a very timely thread resurrection for me. I've been browsing Reverb and have to admit, non-adjustable bridges made me just glance over a lot of guitars I might find interesting.

Do the general statements about no intonation issues in this thread apply to all PRS guitars, including SE models and older models? Most of the specific guitars mentioned are higher level models.
I used to own 2 SE’s, older ones and intonation wasn’t an issue.. my 93 Custom 22 has a wrap tailpiece as well and intonates perfectly with 009’s or 010’s. Paul and Ted McCarty figured this out a long time ago… never an issue. PRS and John Mann both make intonatable tailpieces as well with individual saddles

Back