Non-adjustable bridge

pallajt

I'm wondering what the technical/performance advantages are to the non-adjustable bridge? At first I thought those were just like a lower-cost SE thing, but started noticing them on some of the higher end models as well? On the face of it it doesn't seem like there would be any advantage to NOT being able to adjust the bridge - am I missing something?

I believe that the theory is that the fewer moving parts, the more vibration is transferred to the body and pickups. I have them both ways. If you use standard gauge strings, there`s not really a need for the adjustable bridge. It`s clearly not a problem because they are well placed, and well made. Hopefully, Shawn@PRS will weigh in on this. Paul himself usually plays guitars with a one piece bridge.

I believe that the theory is that the fewer moving parts, the more vibration is transferred to the body and pickups. I have them both ways. If you use standard gauge strings, there`s not really a need for the adjustable bridge. It`s clearly not a problem because they are well placed, and well made. Hopefully, Shawn@PRS will weigh in on this. Paul himself usually plays guitars with a one piece bridge.
Yeah - "Paul's Guitar" was one of the models I noticed with it. That makes sense, although I wonder how noticeable that difference in energy transfer really is. You've never had any intonation issues where you thought to yourself "I wish I had an adjustable bridge"? I have three other non-PRS electric guitars, all with adjustable bridges, and I've always found it useful at one point or another as far as assisting with/restoring the instrument's intonation.

The stop tail is a beautiful bridge , super comfy to rest you hand on and on the guitars I have with them ( 3 in all ) their is a solidness and an attack that is different on those guitars.
I also have ZERO intonation issues (My Modern Eagle II , CU22 , Core Mira have stop tails )
I have had one of the two piece bridges and did not bond with it ( I have troubles with Les Pauls also )
I know several who have the adjustable bridges and they are great also

The adjustable bridges are on two SE stoptails that I have. My core Mira has the one piece. I have bass heavy strings on my SE`s, which don`t have the intonation of my core guitars. The core guitars are spot on, the SE`s have had some work, mainly because i`m an idiot about good intonation. That`s why I only play PRS when I play electric.

I remember being skeptical of them at first too, back in the day. Coming from Strats, it seemed counter intuitive to not have individually adjustable saddles. But in reality, the PRS one-piece intonates great with typical string gauges and it is a breeze to set up. Sounds great. Feels great.

Tone, that's the beauty of the non-adjustable.
It's a more solid connection to the body than adjustable saddles.
......and they intonate just fine.

To me (personally) it is hard to believe that non-adjustable bridges should have good intonation (I am still at the initial string set, so I have not passed final judgement).
But on a 700-Euros SE 245 I find real hard to justify the reduction in flexibility that this decision implies.

N.F.

First off.. the solid bridge isn't non-adjustable. It's fully adjustable via two grub screws that move it in and out against the bridge posts. You intonate the low and high E strings and you're done since the individual saddles don't require adjustment.

If I bought a PRS with adjustable saddles I'd replace it with a non-adjustable one. I've owned both saw no advantages to it. Having adjustable saddles means having saddles that you need to adjust. It's like asking for more headache when it's not needed.

I'm actually kind of irritated that PRS caved in and started putting adjustable bridges on guitars that don't need them, but I also understand that it's easier to give people what they want than it is to educate them.

To me (personally) it is hard to believe that non-adjustable bridges should have good intonation (I am still at the initial string set, so I have not passed final judgement).
But on a 700-Euros SE 245 I find real hard to justify the reduction in flexibility that this decision implies.

It’s good to be skeptical (it’ll make the revelation even more impactful!). I was, too, especially since my first experience was with a ‘50s era LP Junior, which is...well, we’ll classify that wrap-around bridge as ‘special needs’. :rolleyes: The PRS design couldn’t be farther from those original monstrosities. If you play 9s, 10s, or 11s (48 bottom), you’ll have zero issues with intonation in standard E. Drop D and open G dialed in perfectly for me. It’s remarkable.

On a whim, I bought a USA wrap around PRS bridge to upgrade my SE245 and it works 100%. Does it justify the $$? There may have been a slight sustain and tonal change, but it’s debatable. No change in intonation stability...still perfect. Putting Duncan Antiquities in it is the only upgrade that dramatically improved this guitar.

The bridge in my SE One is stock and intonation is dead-nuts perfect. I bought that used for WAY less than the SE245.

You can trust PRS’ R&D, regardless of the price point. It’s something that comes with experience with the brand. And something every one of us doubted, at first.

N.F.

That’s ridiculous. Frankly, that’s an idea that lives in your head, and has zero basis in reality.

The advantage of a solid bridge without adjustable saddles is that fewer vibrating parts result in a certain kind of tone transfer from the strings through the bridge to the body of the instrument. PRS also offers models with adjustable saddles, and they have different kinds of tone transfer, and sound a little different.

But if it’s such a big problem for you (especially on an inexpensive guitar), why in hell did you buy it in the first place? You obviously knew the bridge didn’t have adjustable saddles before buying. This is a troll issue to stir the pot, and nothing more. If you’re all pissed off at this non-issue, sell the guitar and move on.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't realize that my SE 245 didn't have an adjustable bridge before I bought it (the photos on the seller site were not clear, and all my previous guitars - LP, Strat, SG) had fully adjustable bridges.

And I wasn't able to see any of these in first person (just recently there was a dealer in Greece).
Probably I should've bought a Zack Myers (which *has* adjustable bridge per string), but I dislike that green color.

N.F.
PS. Many are complaining about problems in intonation when doing drop tunes or heavy gauge strings, hence my remark about flexibility. It seems that if you are using these guitars with .09 and 0.10 gauge strings in standard tuning, the guitar is quite good.

I replaced the wrap around on a Hamer Slammer Special with a mojoaxe and it's great, which made it much easier to buy the PRS SE Custom semi hollow that I just got last week with a wrap around.

Throw me into the group that didn’t think a non-individually-adjustable bridge was a good idea, and was a cheap option. Also throw me into the group who have had their mind changed by PRS core bridges.

In my defense, the old Gibson “wrap the stop tail” bridge idea wasn’t the best. Playable, yes, but with no string length compensation was never spot on with intonation no matter what strings you used. I’ve had no such issues with the PRS stop tails on my PRS McCarty Hollowbodys. And there is some adjustability fore and aft should you need it (I use 10s, and have not), just not per string.

You can always say that something “should” or “should not” be on a given guitar, and your choice is to buy or not if it matters to you. In the case of a PRS core guitar, it’s no longer a factor for me. Their bridge works just fine.

Back