No Soapbars. Hmmm...

As long as we are dreamin ... a P90 DGT would be a delightful beast ( yes, Iknow this isn't)
hvuvpev04mtyxdnf5msk.jpg

Last edited:
Every time I look at that quilt, I’m like “Irmagaaadddd”.
I feel you. That top was a discard from a Japanese store run, I couldn’t believe it. I was in the Vault picking tops and Paul Miles slipped it to me after I couldn’t find what I wanted. The ripple and popcorn is ridiculous.

P90's hum pretty badly and that, I think, is why they are not more popular.

I actually prefer the sound of good Gibson P90's to Gibson humbuckers.

The Gibson humbucker was invented to capture the tone of a Gibson P90 without the hum.

They didn't succeed 100% in capturing the tone but they did succeed in getting rid of the hum.

There are hum-free or noiseless P90's available but they don't sound as lively as regular P90's.

I lined the control cavity and pickup routs of my PRS SE SOAPBAR with copper foil. Then rebuilt one of the Gibson P90's in that guitar to be Reverse Polarity and Reverse Wound so I would at least have humcancelling when the two pickups are combined.

But when either pickup is used individually it still hums as soon as I stop playing. So I just turn the guitar's volume to zero between songs.

Last edited:
I feel you. That top was a discard from a Japanese store run, I couldn’t believe it. I was in the Vault picking tops and Paul Miles slipped it to me after I couldn’t find what I wanted. The ripple and popcorn is ridiculous.
Dare I ask what the price of admission was?

Dream guitar. And if they actually do a regular production run of the semi hollow, I'm getting one.

P90's hum pretty badly and that, I think, is why they are not more popular.

I actually prefer the sound of good Gibson P90's to Gibson humbuckers.

The Gibson humbucker was invented to capture the tone of a Gibson P90 without the hum.

They didn't succeed 100% in capturing the tone but they did succeed in getting rid of the hum.

There are hum-free or noiseless P90's available but they don't sound as lively as regular P90's.

I lined the control cavity and pickup routs of my PRS SE SOAPBAR with copper foil. Then rebuilt one of the Gibson P90's in that guitar to be Reverse Polarity and Reverse Wound so I would at least have humcancelling when the two pickups are combined.

But when either pickup is used individually it still hums as soon as I stop playing. So I just turn the guitar's volume to zero between songs.

I’ve heard Fralin makes about the best noiseless P90 in the business.

Here's mine...594, fingerboard is ebony. It's a terrific instrument.

ETA: It's nice to see I'm still a "new" member, 9 years after I registered! LOL. I guess I should post more pictures of my guitars, cuz I really don't have much else to contribute (see all the NF3 threads).

46171601535_af142e1670_h.jpg

Last edited:
Back