No pickguard for Custom?

Mathachew

I started playing in July 2017 on acoustic and am preparing to get an electric. I haven’t quite figured out what guitar I want, but PRS is the front runner as I liked how they felt most.

One thing I am concerned with is scuffing up whatever beauty I end up buying. I have my eye on several Custom models, but I noticed none of them have a pickguard, nor am I able to find any that I can add like with the S2. Are there really no options? I couldn’t find any threads on that specifically, but I’m relatively new to electric, so maybe I overlooked it. I prefer to not scuff my guitar with the pick if I can help it, and a pickguard would go a long way to helping with that.

Not that I’ve seen. I think I’ve seen someone ask about it before but it’s such a rare occasion.

A long while back, someone posted about a wooden Les Paul style pickguard that was made by the PTC.

However, to the OP, I’d mention that it’s not difficult to control one’s picking stroke and not scratch the guitar; in fact, learning to control the pick and keep it over the strings makes for faster playing, because the pick doesn’t have to travel as far.

The exaggerated arm movements that we see with some players are strictly for show.

They don’t even get scuffed up that badly if you’re wearing wrist guards with nails embedded in them.

Enter picture of Casper, the most worn PRS out there...

casper309.jpg

A long while back, someone posted about a wooden Les Paul style pickguard that was made by the PTC.

However, to the OP, I’d mention that it’s not difficult to control one’s picking stroke and not scratch the guitar; in fact, learning to control the pick and keep it over the strings makes for faster playing, because the pick doesn’t have to travel as far.

The exaggerated arm movements that we see with some players are strictly for show.

THIS!

I'm in the camp of them not really getting that worn. The poly is pretty thick. If you're really concerned about it, I seem to remember someone using a screen protector that you'd put on a iPad or tablet.

I used to be so concerned about the smallest mark on my guitars. I now have settled into the camp that they are there to be played and enjoyed. They are tools for me to make music. Nicks are mojo!

I have an unlucky friend who used to get into weird fender-bender accidents, the other driver usually being at fault. Never had accidents when the car had some miles on it.

He became resigned to the fact that he simply had horrible new-car luck.

He’d get a new car, have an accident very soon thereafter, and say, “Welp. Now it’s broken in and I don’t have to worry about it!”

That kind of thing would have me being depressed and not wanting to leave the house for three days. I guess we’re all unique. ;)

Apologies to resurrect this thread but I have a question on this same subject and I figured resurrection is better than a duplicate thread...

The main concern in this thread was scratches - which I am not worried about. But what about grime from finger oils over time? How do they affect the finish? I play primarily without a pick and I anchor my hand above the strings by placing a finger on the body below the strings (usually my ring finger). You can see in this image of my main guitar (Yamaha Revstar) that my finger oils have done a number on the copper scratch plate. Granted, that scratch plate is unfinished copper, so it's a worst case example, but now having a PRS I'm worried about the long term effect of my hand oils on the finish.

I have an SE Hollowbody, which I'm almost positive is a polyurothane finish. I tend to think the poly finish is pretty non-reactive and should be resistant to it, but I'm curious what you folks think. I also bring it up because I'm aware that the new PRS core series have a Nitro finish I'm curious about them also. Might that finish not handle my style of playing well?

Pete needs a guard.

Wash your hands before you play and wipe it down regularly, you won't have any problems. And keep you nails short :D

I hate washing my hands before playing. It softens the fingertips. I don't really form proper callouses so that is something that gives me problems. My solution is to keep a bunch of alcohol wipes in my gig bag. Instead of washing with soap and water, I just wipe down my fingers/hands with the alcohol. As a bonus, this actually promotes the drying and toughening up of the skin.

I hate washing my hands before playing. It softens the fingertips. I don't really form proper callouses so that is something that gives me problems. My solution is to keep a bunch of alcohol wipes in my gig bag. Instead of washing with soap and water, I just wipe down my fingers/hands with the alcohol. As a bonus, this actually promotes the drying and toughening up of the skin.
Good idea!

Back