Nick/Ding on my PRS Blue Metallic Frost Finish

Paul Ferradas

Hi guys,

Sadly I got a nick on my PRS McCarty 594 S2 Thinline guitar. It's the Blue Metalic Frost color and I'm not sure how to move forward. I contacted PRS asking them if they sell touch-up paint but never got a response.

Does anyone know how I can match this color? I may try the repair myself and if I don't like the finish then I may take it to a luthier or just leave it alone and chalk it up to the guitar having some character. But unlike a relic Fender that would be more appropriate, I rather get it fixed. If I take to s luthier any idea what a repair would cost?

It's a small nick, about the size of a small water droplet but it's on the top fold of the guitar, not on a flat area.

You can see it here (link below), I temporarily applied some acrylic paint (not the best color match, I know), but the nick is down to the wood.

Thanks for any advice.

Paul

No, PRS doesn't sell touch up paint. I ordered a new S2 Custom 24 in Dark Aqua, and it came with a little nick on the headstock, and some very tiny spider cracks in certain places. They did however, offer to repaint my new guitar for the price of a new guitar.

As SinSir stated, nail polish. Another alternative is to try automotive touch up paint. Either way you go, expect the touch up to be bubbled up a bit and in need of careful wet sanding and polishing. I've done this on my guitars and had good luck. I did this most recently on my S2 Custom 22 Semi-hollow where it got a small chip in the side of the finish. I touched it up with black nail polish, smoothed it over with 3000 grit wet sand cloth, followed that up with 4000 grit, and then 5000 grit both wet and dry. After that I used Sonax Perfect finish on an orange foam foam cutting pad (hand held) and that leveled it off perfectly. It's very near invisible unless you REALLY look for it. FWIW, this is the same technique I've used to touch up stone chips in cars in the past.

Back