NGD - Wood Library 10 Top 594

bodia

Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved
Man, that is outstanding! I am quickly becoming a huge Autumn Sky fan! Congrats on a stunner!

Bruddha

Slightly damp microfiber cloth(water). No polishes or chemicals...anything like that will make it gloss up. 0000 super fine steel wool will remove any shiny spots that develop from the oils in your skin. Use it VERY lightly, gentle.
Noob question maybe... But don't you have to refinish the guitar after using steel wool?

WA Paul

All dogs go to heaven
Very nice, enjoy!

I like the satin finish better than the standard V12 (is it still called that?). Just feels soooo sexy when playing guitar. :)

shimmilou

Established in 1963
Terrific guitar! I want my next PRS to be a 594, maybe semi-hollow. Yours is gorgeous!

ViperDoc

Plugged In.
STELLAR WOOD ON THAT BEAUTY.

I have a satin finished Martin dreadnaught, and it has been polished by 20 years of use where I contact it the most, like the armrest area and neck. If you want to protect the satin finish, do not use polishes or solvents to clean your guitar. But by no means should you avoid playing it! I'm sure you won't have a problem with that.

Tone-y

Noob question maybe... But don't you have to refinish the guitar after using steel wool?
No, the very fine steel wool, applied carefully and gently mind, only dulls the finish that is there, it doesn't remove it. Turns gloss back into a satin.

Alnus Rubra

Loving nature’s wonders
No, the very fine steel wool, applied carefully and gently mind, only dulls the finish that is there, it doesn't remove it. Turns gloss back into a satin.

I would debate with you on this.

Application of treatment with any abrasive, will result in removal of material, no matter how slight.

Therefore, use of even the finest wire wool, does remove some of the lacquer. Granted it may be minimal. However, repeated treatments may result in removing enough finish to go through to bare wood.

Not a process for the “weak-hearted”!

Tone-y

I would debate with you on this.

Application of treatment with any abrasive, will result in removal of material, no matter how slight.

Therefore, use of even the finest wire wool, does remove some of the lacquer. Granted it may be minimal. However, repeated treatments may result in removing enough finish to go through to bare wood.

Not a process for the “weak-hearted”!
I almost went on to say that obviously done lots of times you would eventually wear through the finish but deleted it from my comment. I think what we are talking about here, is only roughing up of the very surface of the finish though rather than removing material (granted, some material is removed) and therefore re-finishing would not be necessary. It would take you a while with the very finest grades of abrasive to work through the finish

Alnus Rubra

Loving nature’s wonders
I almost went on to say that obviously done lots of times you would eventually wear through the finish but deleted it from my comment. I think what we are talking about here, is only roughing up of the very surface of the finish though rather than removing material (granted, some material is removed) and therefore re-finishing would not be necessary. It would take you a while with the very finest grades of abrasive to work through the finish
Indeed, proceed with much care for such beautiful instruments!

Yours is very nice! I love myself some natural maple:D

Tone-y

Indeed, proceed with much care for such beautiful instruments!

Yours is very nice! I love myself some natural maple:D
I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to do it to a full gloss core model. SE maybe, and to re-satin an already satin finish in areas that had been buffed - though I don't think it would be worth the effort as it would only buff again.

Alnus Rubra

Loving nature’s wonders
I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to do it to a full gloss core model. SE maybe, and to re-satin an already satin finish in areas that had been buffed - though I don't think it would be worth the effort as it would only buff again.
As I said, your guitar is a beauty and I have a photo of it saved as inspiration :D

Bruddha

Thanks for the clarification!

Orange Tiger

All, thanks so much for the kind comments. I hadn't thought of comparing the quality of the top against most high-end Gibsons, but the comment made me chuckle and rather smug - Thanks!

It really is lovely and i'm very proud of it. Got its first gig on the 29th, looking forward to hearing it in a big space.

:cool::)

Orange Tiger

Thanks also for the cleaning tips. I've bought a dedicated microfibre just for use on this guitar so that it can give it a quick rub don after playing when it needs it.

Alnus Rubra

Loving nature’s wonders
OT I hope you don’t mind me uploading this. It’s just the guys from Peach are crushing it at the moment. The tones out of this baby are lush!