NGD - PRS SE SVN Stealth Satin Quilt

starscream67

Hi All,

I think this is a European limited edition, but pretty happy with my latest NGD. I’m not normally a fan of quilt but the satin finish more than makes up for the lack of flame. Plus I finally made the choice between the SVN and 277 without playing either first, which thanks to this colour, I think was the right choice.

zQgjFCP.jpg

48hS8YG.jpg

LhYxQbR.jpg

90L2kOZ.jpg

I am a big fan of the satin finishes! So how does it sound @starscream67 ? I just could never quite get the hang of playing a seven string though I like how they sound.

I am a big fan of the satin finishes! So how does it sound @starscream67 ? I just could never quite get the hang of playing a seven string though I like how they sound.

I’m still playing it as it came out of the box and it sounds pretty good but I’m going to let it settle before I look at the fret buzz and put some Elixirs on it.

For me I was worried about scale length and string gauge, which I think the SVN has a nice balance - I prefer lighter strings and I can just do the 3rd to 7th fret stretch for Tool’s Lateralus still (I know it’s not in drop A but I only know 1 song in drop A# currently). The low B (which will live in drop A) doesn’t sound flubby so the 26.5 scale length was a good call by PRS.

I think being so familiar with PRS SE’s made the 7 string jump feel less daunting (mentally as well as neck width/profile) as it still feels like a PRS just with an extra low string, if that makes sense.

Nice! Looks even more \m/ than my solid black old school SE 7.

Curious to know how you like the 7-string 85/15 S pickups.

I've taken to keeping my SE 7 in drop A as well. It's best for the big-interval jazz chords and I think it facilitates more interesting low string runs and a better pseudo bass sound.

Pickups sound ok on first impressions, I have no immediate plans to swap them which is a good sign.

I just noticed on the headstock photo... does the nut look cut weird? I only just noticed that the thicker strings are barely seated and I don’t have my other SE’s to hand to compare what it’s supposed to look like. This is the 2nd one I’ve been sent so need to make sure it’s ok, the QC defo feels rushed on these.

lsmkKNx.jpg

Pickups sound ok on first impressions, I have no immediate plans to swap them which is a good sign.

I just noticed on the headstock photo... does the nut look cut weird? I only just noticed that the thicker strings are barely seated and I don’t have my other SE’s to hand to compare what it’s supposed to look like. This is the 2nd one I’ve been sent so need to make sure it’s ok, the QC defo feels rushed on these.

lsmkKNx.jpg

Looks good to me.

Sweet! I was hoping to get my hands on one of these last week, but they didn't bring one to the PRS event at my local dealer. I love my SE-7. I'm also curious about the pickups. I liked the stock ones on it well enough, but swapped to a set of Holcomb Alpha/Omegas.

That guitar looks like a “beast”, loving what looks like a “streaky” ebony fingerboard!

And the quilt looks immense. Enjoy:D

I’ve been adjusting the pickup height as I felt the neck pickup sounded a little boomy and the bridge a little thin - kinda reminded me of the VB/HFS issues annoying me with my Custom 22. The plate bridge of the SVN is a lot flatter than the stoptail I’m used to, so it will take time to find good pickup heights I think - bridge currently 8 64ths and neck 10 64ths, but might try 6 and 12 today. The action on this is lower than factory spec by 1 64th both sides so that would prob sort the fret buzz if it doesn’t go when I buy some Elixirs.

I’m a little disappointed that the PRS setup guide on their website is horrifically out of date for all their new models/ bridges etc as I like the factory spec setup.

Back