NGD | My first PRS, hoping I will fit in around here. | 1998 CE-24

Beautiful guitar, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks! Happy to be here. I keep asking my Alexa enabled devices for the "answer to life, the universe, and everything." I get the response you should expect, and my wife looks at me puzzled, but has no interest in asking what just happened or why.

Nice looking guitar. My buddy had a 98 with birds and yes I guess they were rare because of the up charge to get them. I got a 98 McCarty and it has No Birds! I was saving money lol.

Nice score Michael!

I was reading the prs book earlier today... and I have some questions regarding the old CE models, that maybe some of you with more experience can clarify...
  • I saw that they came both with solid mahogany body and with the maple top. Is there a way to distinguish them aside the weight? Maybe the maple top ones had transparent colors only, and the ones with solid colors are full mahogany body?
  • I see they came stock with rotary, and a "McCarty electronics" as an option? What is really? Basically the coil tap and the 3 way toggle?

Thanks.

Nice score Michael!

I was reading the prs book earlier today... and I have some questions regarding the old CE models, that maybe some of you with more experience can clarify...
  • I saw that they came both with solid mahogany body and with the maple top. Is there a way to distinguish them aside the weight? Maybe the maple top ones had transparent colors only, and the ones with solid colors are full mahogany body?
  • I see they came stock with rotary, and a "McCarty electronics" as an option? What is really? Basically the coil tap and the 3 way toggle?
Thanks.

Thanks Gigi!

I can't help with any level of experiential authority, but the 98 I have here has a distinctive change in the color tone indicating there is a different top material. It is quite heavy, but it would be difficult to tell, just by weight, the difference between all solid mahogany and mahogany with a maple top, wouldn't it? If you were asking between mahogany and a lighter wood sure, but the top is less than 1/3rd of the body material.

Back