NGD ME Brazilian NOS

Woollymonster

Good day!

My first post here but not my first rodeo, as they say. I am a 17 year guitar player and lifetime student of music since I was 8 years old. I own a few nice amps and a few very nice guitars. I know PRS guitars are outstanding instruments. No sane rational person could ever dispute that fact and not be laughed at. For some reason I have always been attracted to the more subdued instruments from a visual standpoint. I own a 1958 LP Plain Top R8, a 1951 Nocaster reissue, light relic, a “working man’s” Strat, etc. Fancy quilted tops, flamboyant paint jobs, and overly ornate inlays have never appealed to me.

But today, I will join the ranks of the “Cork Sniffers”. Yes, my first PRS is out on the big brown truck for delivery as I type. Needless to say, I am very excited! I did not get to play it but my buddy Lance at Wildwood pulled it out and took it too his techs. They set it up and put it through the paces. After getting a big thumbs up from Colorado, I bought it. I have done quite a lot of research on these NOS Brazilian models; their sound, history, etc. I love the 57-08 pickups. A wide fat neck is a must for me. All else is just a bonus. This one has a satin finish and not as glossy and fancy as most of the others. Still, it is a beauty and I am sure I will obsess over getting a scratch or a ding where as I don’t with my other guitars.

Here is the background on these ME NOS models as I understand it. You PRS experts please feel free to correct or fill in as needed. The US Government (whatever agency) confiscated these instruments from various makers sometime after 2004 because of their various Brazilian Rosewood content. The instruments were in various stages of completion from raw wood to finished guitars. PRS took necessary legal action to get the BRW that it he had legally acquired and owned prior to the seizure. In 2012, the goods were returned to PRS and the guitars and wood were refinished and completed to the Modern Eagle specs. Who knows where that wood was or how it was stored while the Government had it. According to all sources that I have spoken with the ME’s, like all PRS guitars, left the factory in perfect condition after being reworked. Hence the designation NOS.

Here are the specs on mine and a few pics. I will come back with some info on the tone, playability, etc. in a day or two. It usually takes a couple of weeks for a guitar to settle into the climate where I live. All comments and information greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Woolly

Model: Limited NOS Doubllecut Modern Eagle
Finish Color: Red Tiger
Finish Type: Nitrocellulose
Weight: 8.75 lbs
Top Wood: Carved Figured Maple
Body Wood: Mahogany
Neck Wood: Brazilian Rosewood
Neck Shape: Wide-Fat (.900 1st - .940 12th)
Fingerboard: Brazilian Rosewood
Inlays: Ripple Abalone Birds
Scale Length: 25"
Frets: 22
Headstock: Modern Eagle Inlay on Brazilian Rosewood Veneer
Pickups: 57/08
Controls: Volume and Push/Pull Tone Control, 3-Way Toggle Pickup Selector
Hardware : Nickel
Tailpiece: PRS Stoptail
Tuners: PRS Phase II Locking Tuners
Case: Deluxe Hardshell Case
prs_modern_eagle_7125499_lg4.jpg
prs_modern_eagle_7125499_lg5.jpg
prs_modern_eagle_7125499_lg3.jpg
prs_modern_eagle_7125499_lg1.jpg
prs_modern_eagle_7125499_lg2.jpg
prs_modern_eagle_7125499_lg6.jpg

Last edited:
Gibson players are cork sniffers ,,,,true story lol
Prs players tend to think outside the box.

That is one sexy beast ....you won't be disappointed

Awesome! My one and only PRS is a ME from 2005 that I found on a guitar wall here in the UK in late 2012. If I never buy another guitar I won't be bothered because it's that good..... It was also my dream guitar from when I saw the in 2004/ 2005 :wink: I also like the fact that it's satin nitro so it looks less flash even though I know it's all there underneath.

Congrats on yours it looks superb!

Wow, congrats on that beauty.

Cork sniffer? You bought an R8, so I don't know why you're one now and not before. I'm neither a doctor or a lawyer, how'd I get one of these guitars?

Wow, congrats on that beauty.

Cork sniffer? You bought an R8, so I don't know why you're one now and not before. I'm neither a doctor or a lawyer, how'd I get one of these guitars?

Thanks, I thought the R9 crowd were the Gibson Cork Sniffers? No? As far as cost, it cost me one precision tactical rifle and a Martin D28. Dang. But I’m happy. I do unabashedly enjoy the finer things in life.

Been playing her for about 45 minutes now. Speaking of the R8, this PRS in hum bucker mode sound a lot like the ’57’s in my R8. Except a lot more balanced. My R8 tends to be a bit bright on the treble side no matter how I adjust the pickup height. I can play this one on the bridge pos with the tone on 10 and it still sounds very balanced and very good.

The neck is not quite as fat as my R8 but still very comfortable to me. Much bigger than my Strat. The BRW neck feels like butter. Looks like the tuning keys are Ebony. PRS just does it right.

Of course the coil taps give you a bit clearer tone and seems to be working real good for rhythm work. Fit and finish PRS all the way. Stunning. Its a keeper and I am very pleased.

Woolly

Last edited:
Now that is all kinds of win!! :rock:

You scored the primo ME 1 wood, plus the much-improved later pickups and knobs! That's the silver lining in the whole CITES/Braz debacle. :D If I understand correctly, the government didn't confiscate wood or guitars, except in the case of a manufacturer whose name begins with a "G." PRS wisely took its Brazilian guitars off the line and the market, then brought them back when it was clear that it was OK for them to do so.

The 57/08s are fantastically balanced pickups, especially if you're playing a more vintage-style amp.

Now that is all kinds of win!! :rock:

You scored the primo ME 1 wood, plus the much-improved later pickups and knobs! That's the silver lining in the whole CITES/Braz debacle. :D If I understand correctly, the government didn't confiscate wood or guitars, except in the case of a manufacturer whose name begins with a "G." PRS wisely took its Brazilian guitars off the line and the market, then brought them back when it was clear that it was OK for them to do so.

The 57/08s are fantastically balanced pickups, especially if you're playing a more vintage-style amp.

Thanks for that info. I could not agree more on the guitar. Yesterday was one of those days when I played so much the flesh began to separate from my finger nails.

I play it through a Victoria 35115. Mark put a 1/2 power circuit in that one. My practice amp is a Fender 5 watt VibroChamp. I do have pedals but prefer clean and naturally overdriven tube sound. Lately I’ve been gassing for a Marshall Hand Wired. Maybe a 1974X.

Andy does a great demo here: Marshall 1974X

Last edited:
Cool! Did you get that from Dave's Guitars in LaCrosse, WI?

I got an Custom 22 Artist from them with the BRW fretboard. It is the nicest guitar I have ever played. Enjoy!

Back