NGD... It has landed!

Unfortunately, it has developed a bit of buzz. Using the rocker method, I've determined that the 2nd fret is high, so it really only buzzes when I fret at the first fret, and it vibrates against #2. Could the change in climate have caused this? Do you guys think it will settle back down after it adjusts more? I don't remember it buzzing until about 2 nights ago.

I would hate to have to take it in and spend money on it since I just got it, but I've never had a PRS guitar with fret problems before, so I'm wondering if it's just acclimating to a different climate (Ohio in winter to Atlanta).

If I have to take her to someone, can anyone recommend a good luthier in the Atlanta area?

Unfortunately, it has developed a bit of buzz. Using the rocker method, I've determined that the 2nd fret is high, so it really only buzzes when I fret at the first fret, and it vibrates against #2. Could the change in climate have caused this? Do you guys think it will settle back down after it adjusts more? I don't remember it buzzing until about 2 nights ago.

I would hate to have to take it in and spend money on it since I just got it, but I've never had a PRS guitar with fret problems before, so I'm wondering if it's just acclimating to a different climate (Ohio in winter to Atlanta).

If I have to take her to someone, can anyone recommend a good luthier in the Atlanta area?

It could be weather related. I bought a used guitar of another origin a while back. It came with a "How To" booklet. You know, how the electronics work, etc. Here were the 3 bullet points that I found the most helpful:
1) If experiencing fret buzz on the first few frets (1-4) the truss rod needs to be loosened.
2) If experiencing fret buzz in the middle of the neck (frets 6-10) the truss rod needs to be tightened.
3) If experiencing fret buzz across the entire neck, the bridge saddles need to be raised.

thanks. It's only at the 2nd fret, and I can tell that it's high by rocking a straight edge across 1, 2, and 3... 2 is like a fulcrum point. No buzz anywhere else, so I don't think its a truss rod problem. at first I thought the nut was cut too low, but I'm pretty sure it's the fret... I just wonder if it will settle back down any on its own...

It might settle down.

It might have been a different height all along, but with the environmental condition changes equivalent to a slightly different truss rod tweak, it simply didn't buzz. Maybe try a slight truss rod tweak and see what happens, just for giggles? (You can always reverse it, if you write down which way you turned and by how much!)

Does it do this for all strings on just the one fret, or only certain strings?

A very mild tap with a hammer using a block of wood (or a wooden mallet) might be all it needs to "conform", so any good luthier should be able to do that for you very quickly.

its all strings... I'll try the hammer tap thing myself, see what that does... I've done it before, just never to one of my PRSi!!!!

It might settle down.

It might have been a different height all along, but with the environmental condition changes equivalent to a slightly different truss rod tweak, it simply didn't buzz. Maybe try a slight truss rod tweak and see what happens, just for giggles? (You can always reverse it, if you write down which way you turned and by how much!)

Does it do this for all strings on just the one fret, or only certain strings?

A very mild tap with a hammer using a block of wood (or a wooden mallet) might be all it needs to "conform", so any good luthier should be able to do that for you very quickly.
Having experienced a luthier friend doing such an adjustment with a hammer (a gentle tap!). This is effective.

It will be a minute adjustment.

However (and this is a big “however”), if you are confident to do this, be careful! Maybe best carried out by someone you trust to work on your beloved guitar.

Best of luck.

I had the same problem with mine and was told it was the truss rod for about 6 months so we went back and forth adjusting, waiting, playing it, etc. I had a buzz and also the guitar would not stay in tune, even with no trem and the Phase III. After many months of research and work on guitar, we swapped graphite nut to a bone nut. Still not perfect but buzz a bit less and tuning a bit better. Neither perfect like I want but better. My suggestion is to keep an ear/feel on the nut if nothing else helps. May wanna switch out or have a luthier shave the nut a bit, may even wanna change string gauge. I feel your frustration and disappointment cuz you want it perfect. Keep working it and you'll get it dialed in but don't rule out nut vs truss rod. Stunning guitar. Congrats.

frets do just come out with time.

I had 2011 Tremonti which was mostly played mostly every single day, but I did put it away in for the winter 2015 in its case,
next time I took it out in March an almost exact same thing happened to me the third and fourth frets started buzzing,open D chord, just would not play, I could tell something was wrong, I took it to a luthier, all the straight edge testing confirms the frets worked their way loose,

I went ahead and ordered the PLEK, he super glued it back in with a fret press and a clamp, actually we did it to all the frets, then we ran the PLEK. the whole thing was expensive $375 but well worth it. the thing played fantastic even better than it was originally, he got the action so low I couldn't believe it no string buzz, ultralow, all you had to do was think about playing the note and it played itself. so I highly recommend Re-glue repress and PLEK.
you'll have another 10 years to let the wood breathe the frets in and out of their joints. so I do think a guitar that is played and exposed to the worldand seasons eventually will give up a fret or two and need some maintenance.
I did sell that guitar I could not brighten it up enough for my tastes, my Marshall amplifier always had the treble turned to 9,with that guitar but I played 100,000 licks on it. super fun instrument.

So I teased you guys with some info on her, and a few poor quality shots from the Guitar Center listing last week, but she came in Friday. I think I'm in love!

So here are some more poor quality pics! (I need a better camera than my Iphone... and with a polarizing filter)

26115887507_f906d80094_b.jpg

40944837052_b3d557f1c1_b.jpg

40277806264_ca47695f66_b.jpg

40945382672_681cd70cc6_b.jpg

40986643781_4aa33740c5_b.jpg

39177965220_efb4099b18_b.jpg

26115883007_f7445db709_b.jpg

26115880437_6ec2b94c08_b.jpg

26115885377_53b25f9e9b_b.jpg

26115880037_aaf0a439cf_b.jpg

27115749808_fe7e5cfc0b_b.jpg

40093498535_eb489770b4_b.jpg
My guitar looks almost identical however I did spring for the Private Stock, Custom 22. VERY VERY expensive, probably not wise but you only go around once. They chambered mine because I have a bad back and neck and it weighs just under 7 lbs which is great. I play it/gig with it for a couple hours with no pain. I have a 10 year old solid body mahogony CU 24 that feels like a totem pole so I went for chambering. My CU 24 sounds better than the Private Stock to be honest probably due to solid body but it's too heavy. My old one also has the HFS/Vintage pickups which are hotter. My P Stock has 85/15's. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great, just a bit of buyers remorse for paying so much.
Enough about mine. Yours is gorgeous and again it's a copy of my color, maple fretboard, inlays, etc. Are those 85/15's? Did you ask for the graphite nut? Mine came with bone, had some tuning issues so may switch to graphite. Congrats to you man. It's beautiful and piece of art.

Thanks!

BTW, I tapped that 2nd fret down a bit, and the humidity has made the neck swell back to almost 100% of its original size/shape, so now this guitar plays as amazing as it looks!

Thanks!

BTW, I tapped that 2nd fret down a bit, and the humidity has made the neck swell back to almost 100% of its original size/shape, so now this guitar plays as amazing as it looks!

That sure is good to hear! Happy endings rawk!

Back