NGD - CU24 Wood Library (Arrived!)

Ty89m

Hey all,

Finally decided on a new CU24 and ended up settling on a Wood Library in Aquableux Purple Burst with a roasted maple neck (which I had on my last CU24 and freakin' loved). I'm not usually one for the wild/loud finishes, but I couldn't help myself this time - plus the price difference was negligible vs. the regular CU24 10 top I was looking at, so I took the plunge.

The only point of contention was the fact that it comes with 58/15LT's which I've never had the opportunity to try - sadly, my local shop (as great as it is), seldom has higher end PRS models to demo. I think I get the gist though (lower output vintage/PAF inspired pickups) but would be curious to hear some feedback from those who have a CU24 with these pickups?

I'm a classic rock guy for the most part, though do try my hand at some higher gain/metal stuff on occasion, so am curious to see how it handles the various genres. I know it's best suited to classic rock/blues, but I'm hoping with a bit of boost etc it'll still be a decent jack of all trades.

In the end it's not a huge deal either way, I'm a "man cave/bedroom" player so I'll have fun regardless, and I can always swap them out for something else if necessary. I have noticed quite a few Wood Library builds that get spec'd out with 58/15's, and they keep selling, so that's a good sign :)

Either way, I'm pretty darn excited, and would love to hear from others that have either played and/or own a setup similar to this!

I'll update post with photos when she arrives.

Last edited:
I have the same finish on my 24-08. I love it. Mine has the mt’s. Sounds great. The lt’s are awesome too. Congratulations looking forward to the picks!

I have the same finish on my 24-08. I love it. Mine has the mt’s. Sounds great. The lt’s are awesome too. Congratulations looking forward to the picks!
Excellent, it's a wild color but I'm digging it. I attempted to add the listing photo into the OP - hopefully it worked.

Congrats, that’s a beauty!

I have the pre-TCI 58/15LT in a DC594 and sometimes I feel it’s lacking some oomph. A boost pedal (or effect on my Kemper) can address that pretty well. The pickups have nice clarity so gain staging works pretty well. I also have 53/10, 57/08 and 59/09s for comparison.

Congrats, that’s a beauty!

I have the pre-TCI 58/15LT in a DC594 and sometimes I feel it’s lacking some oomph. A boost pedal (or effect on my Kemper) can address that pretty well. The pickups have nice clarity so gain staging works pretty well. I also have 53/10, 57/08 and 59/09s for comparison.
Good info! My only experience is with the 85/15s so it'll be fun to compare. I just picked up a Pod Go wireless and a Headrush MX5 (have yet to toy with the Kempers) so it'll be fun to experiment with all this new gear.

I am 90% on board with them. Most of my PRS I switch out to Suhr Aldrich for the same music you described.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! If UPS does its part, it should be here Thursday afternoon!

Beautiful guitar. A loud finish now and then never hurt anyone.
On the 58/15 LTs, I may be in the minority here but for a alnico pickup, I find it great for high gain modern metal as it has amazing clarity. I prefer it to the 85/15 actually as it has a bit more girth. What it cannot do is give you a satisfying chunk a ceramic pickup gives you when you palm mute, but that is true for the 85/15 as well.
I have two 594s with 58/15s all around as well multiple Cu24s & 1 CE24 with 85/15s so this is fairly first hand opinion across multiple guitars.

Beautiful guitar. A loud finish now and then never hurt anyone.
On the 58/15 LTs, I may be in the minority here but for a alnico pickup, I find it great for high gain modern metal as it has amazing clarity. I prefer it to the 85/15 actually as it has a bit more girth. What it cannot do is give you a satisfying chunk a ceramic pickup gives you when you palm mute, but that is true for the 85/15 as well.
I have two 594s with 58/15s all around as well multiple Cu24s & 1 CE24 with 85/15s so this is fairly first hand opinion across multiple guitars.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm sold on the finish, everything else I have is fairly understated looking beyond an SG Modern in blueberry burst, so it's nice to add some variety.

Thanks for sharing your impressions on the pickups - all the other CU24's I've had were the standard 85/15 setup, so this will be a welcomed change.

I have the 58/15 LT in my 594 - to me they sound very clear and articulate via not over-accentuating the low mids the way some humbuckers do. But, in contrast to the 85/15’s, which to me sound almost too even, the 58/15 still has some interesting and characterizing frequency peaks to it.

The 58/15’s with their leaner low mid profile are very good pickups, certainly for versatility, and yes, classic rock. For hard rock and metal, I actually like the 57/08 and 59/09 more, they have more of that low mid that thumps harder on the low strings, but if I had to pick a set to go in a guitar, it would be the 58/15. Unless I could get bit-picky and do a 57/08 bridge pickup with a 58/15 neck pickup.

I have the 58/15 LT in my 594 - to me they sound very clear and articulate via not over-accentuating the low mids the way some humbuckers do. But, in contrast to the 85/15’s, which to me sound almost too even, the 58/15 still has some interesting and characterizing frequency peaks to it.

The 58/15’s with their leaner low mid profile are very good pickups, certainly for versatility, and yes, classic rock. For hard rock and metal, I actually like the 57/08 and 59/09 more, they have more of that low mid that thumps harder on the low strings, but if I had to pick a set to go in a guitar, it would be the 58/15. Unless I could get bit-picky and do a 57/08 bridge pickup with a 58/15 neck pickup.

I actually saw a few WL Customs with two differing pickups for neck/bridge last time I was shopping for a CU24 - looked a bit odd but I bet it made for a sweet setup! Unfortunately I've been too busy to properly test this new guitar out, hoping to fire 'er up tomorrow!!

Back