NGD - 2017 PRS Mark Holcomb SE is in da house!

Maertl513

Sherlock 513
dscn2087-jpg.516561

dscn2086-jpg.516560

dscn2084-jpg.516558

dscn2085-jpg.516559

dscn2081-jpg.516555

dscn2080-jpg.516554

dscn2077-jpg.516553

dscn2076-jpg.516552

I love the veneer! Absolutely amazing quilted maple. The modifications aren´t accomplished yet. I still wait for the delivery of Schaller M6 locking tuners in ruthenium shade w/ ebony tuner buttons.
And I will replace the pickup rings, the switch tip and the backplate by ebony parts procured at Crazyparts in future.

Oh man, GAS re-ignited again for one of these! I better not check any websites today...

Fantastic specimen as is my friend and it will be off the charts after the lovely mods
Congrats, Chug away Martin :D

Auditive impressions: PRS Mark Holcomb SE.

Routine: Both pups as SC, both pups HB, bass pup SC, bass pup HB, treble pup SC, treble pup HB. Guitar´s volume poti turned either low or open.

Signal chain: Guitar - Line 6 POD HD500X - Propellerhead Balance - Propellerhead Reason DAW.
HD500X setting: Noise gate (off) - Volume pedal (open) - WahWah (off) - two half stacks in parallel: one side Mesa Boogie Rectifier w/ 412 XXL cab, other side Bogner Uberschall w/ 412 XXL cab - room reverb (on) - stereo delay (off).

I recorded the pattern aswell w/ three other guitars for comparision [Parker Fly Deluxe, 24 frets, same scale likewise the Holcomb (25,5"), Drop C tuning, Dimarzio custom humbucker w/o splitabilty; Linus Thinline Custom, 24 frets, 25,25" scale, two Linus custom wound HB, switchable to real SC, Drop D tuning), and PRS 513 MT (you know the specs...), 22 frets, 25,25" scale, Drop D tuning). I started everytime at middle position (the 513 deals with the center SC), then turning to bass, in the end to treble position. If possible I selected first the SC mode, after that the HB mode.

Very nice!!!

Did it come stock with the black (graphite?) nut or did you already change it?
All pics of this model I've seen so far had white (plastic?) nuts to match the binding.

Schaller locking tuners are always a great mod for any SE!

Damn, that looks stunning...

Your guitar makes me realise that if I ever want to own a SC245, I need to abstain from this forum immediately ;)

Are the Schallers direct replacements? I picked up a 2016 Holcomb SE (NGD post to come later), and I'd like to put locking tuners on (because they're easier). I'd like to get them on my 7-string, too.

Are the Schallers direct replacements? I picked up a 2016 Holcomb SE (NGD post to come later), and I'd like to put locking tuners on (because they're easier). I'd like to get them on my 7-string, too.

Yes, at least those with the thumbscrew at the back fit without any mod whatsoever.

Love that newest one even more. The refinements are very nice and make me like that guitar more.

To fit the hardware color you have to choose the shade "Ruthenium" at Schaller hardware. I ordered them directly w/ ebony tuner buttons. But it takes several weeks to get them.

dscn2156-jpg.518975

Some things could be conducted very easily. To me personally it´s visiting the home base of Crazyparts. So I did it yesterday with a prearranged appointment. My course of action was to buy wooden parts: particular an ebony switch-tip, a set of ebony pickup-rings and an ebony backcover. Sad but true, SE covers are a few inch larger than those of Core (Custom). Okay, then only PU-rings and a switch-tip remained on the list. Barbara and Andy showed me what´s currently in stock to choose of it. I made my decision.
Back home I dismounted the plastic parts, installed the ebony parts. Under the ground plate of the bass pickup I found a fifth pickup-ring screw attached by the magnetic field. QA/QC...
I readjusted the pickup heights. To accomplish the modification either focus on function or aesthetics I´ll have to wait to receive the Schaller M6 locking tuners in ruthenium shade with ebony tuner buttons...

it has been recently announced that those custom ordered Schaller M6 are to be delivered next week.
I'm looking forward accomplishing the modification.
As a result: unfortunately an ebony backplate is not available at present.

Back