NGD - 2017 PRS Mark Holcomb SE is in da house!

There it is :)

8Yko1sq.jpg

NK126z2.jpg

pg0H9OT.jpg

This has been a helpful thread. My Holcomb SE is from July 2017. Overall it has been very nice. I had no idea who Mark Holcomb was, I just loved the look of the guitar and wanted to try a PRS. Most all there guitars have the white pick-up frames, which I do not care for. So, I liked the darker look, it has 24 frets and the birds. Although the white trim on the neck and white nut take away from the dark look (and it sucks that they are different shades of white!!). A new nut which is black looks tempting.

A couple small issues which I also noticed folks had in this thread.

1) the black screws on the pick-up frame wear off so they get shiny. PRS sent me some replacment screws and the black finish wore off the new ones just as quickly as the originals. It’d be nice if the screws would stay black.

2) How much were the Schaller tuning pegs? I looked for the Ruthenium ones with black thumb screws and they seemed to be about 160€, which is about double what I paid for some normal stainless steel Schaller’s from amazon for an Epiphone (or was it sweetwater?). Did you guys pay that much? Also, what model tuning mechanisms exactly did you get... was it the “M6 135 Locking 19.5, Ruthenium, with Large Ebony Button” (Article Nr. 10020623.06.52)?

3) The original nut had was sharp edged. For example, when my hand come into contact with it when playing a power chord on the first fret, it feels very uncomfortable. Did anyone else experience this or do any shaping of the corner of the nut? What grit does one use to do a bit of touch up grinding/polishing of the sharp edges?

Thanks

3) The original nut had was sharp edged. For example, when my hand come into contact with it when playing a power chord on the first fret, it feels very uncomfortable. Did anyone else experience this or do any shaping of the corner of the nut? What grit does one use to do a bit of touch up grinding/polishing of the sharp edges?

Thanks

With regards to sanding nut corners, I would advise using the finest grit you have on hand and going slowly. I sanded the corners on a TUSQ nut with 400 grit and was surprised at how quickly I “oversanded”. Doesn’t affect anything - the one side is just a little lop-sided.

My Schallers were at least around 190 EUR with ebony buttons. They're made on order, it's not stock production. Therefore they are such expensive pieces.

My MH has been delivered with the US nut, therefore I can't share any experiences concerning sharp edges.

Just picked up mine recently and made a lot of the same changes you made, thanks for the post, it helped me out a lot with mine!!

Thanks for the input. I’ll probably pass on the Schaller’s for now. Sure would be nice to have locking tuners, though. I’ll give a go a bit of light sanding on the nut at some point.

When I went to adjust the truss rod I noticed that the nut had a little piece of plastic sticking out which was blocking the truss rod cover, so the cover doesn’t sit flat. This, combined with the static in both volume and tone pots, has been a bit disappointing. There was also a very small chip in the body finish under one of the pick-up frames. All of these little things show a lack of attention to detail and are disappointing. Still a great to guitar to play.

Anyone else have the pickup frame screws wear from black to shiny? Seems like a design flaw in not using a wear (and sweat) resistant coating on the little screws. I’m going to have to investigate that further as to what would work. The replacements (US office) that PRS sent out turned shiny just as quick as the Korean ones.

Back