Newbie thread: My two PRS guitars and a Mira question

PVO_Dave

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the forums and PRS guitars in general, although I'm now a convert!

I recently decided to get rid of my Gibson Firebird that I bought purely because it looked cool, but I just couldn't get on with the tone, l didn't want to go down the route of swapping out pickups, so put it up for sale / trade. I'd seen a PRS Studio for sale on a guitar forum I use and was intrigued, lots of reviews, YouTube videos later I was hooked!

As luck would have it, I found a 10 top quilt studio less than 30 miles away on eBay, I contacted the guy and he was keen to part ex with my Firebird :). The guitar looked and played beautifully, so I gave him my guitar, some cash and drove off before he could change his mind :D

I was and still am, blown away by the guitar, the quality is outstanding, the playability is better than any of the other 'high end' guitars I own, or have even played. I then made he mistake of reading up on DGT's! I was in the process of selling off my pro camera gear and just found something to reinvest the cash in :)

i found a 10 top DGT for sale, brand new but on sale, I spoke to the shop, got them to send me some photos and put a deposit on it! I collected that Saturday, what a beauty, it sounds and plays like a Les Paul should do, but doesn't quite manage!

The guitars in question:
14311445112_5eb26a7cbf_b.jpg

14507459155_cb548a40e1_b.jpg

The only worry is, gigging these two, so I've started thinking about trading another guitar for a Mira, the question to you guys, how would a Mira fit tonally between these two?

Apologies for the long post :)

Dave.

Hi and welcome, got a couple of really nice ones there!

Why are you worried about gigging those 2?

IMO the Studio is unique in it's construction and pickup combination and the DGT has it's own pickups and electronics too, so a Mira is going to be quite removed from those 2.

Playability wise, all PRSes (assuming they are setup right), play great!

Hi and welcome, got a couple of really nice ones there!

Why are you worried about gigging those 2?

IMO the Studio is unique in it's construction and pickup combination and the DGT has it's own pickups and electronics too, so a Mira is going to be quite removed from those 2.

Playability wise, all PRSes (assuming they are setup right), play great!

Only concerned about theft, being so eye catching might have its draw backs.

On the Mira tone, I guess I kind of knew that, but would it be a good substitute, in the same way I'd be happy to use one of my Les Paul's instead if needed? All completely subjective I suppose.

I especially love the top on that Studio.

Anyway, if you are talking about a 'Core' Mira then one of the biggest differences will be that it's a 24 fret guitar. The neck pickup especially will sound brighter than the neck pickup on the DGT (it's harder to compare it to the Studio due the NF pups on the Studio being their own thing anyway).

Feel-wise it's different too. Some people find it a bit 'cramped' higher up the neck on a 24 fret guitar.

If you are talking about an S2 Mira though, that one's 22 frets like your DGT and your Studio.

What is the neck carve on your Studio? That comes into play too...

I especially love the top on that Studio.

Anyway, if you are talking about a 'Core' Mira then one of the biggest differences will be that it's a 24 fret guitar. The neck pickup especially will sound brighter than the neck pickup on the DGT (it's harder to compare it to the Studio due the NF pups on the Studio being their own thing anyway).

Feel-wise it's different too. Some people find it a bit 'cramped' higher up the neck on a 24 fret guitar.

If you are talking about an S2 Mira though, that one's 22 frets like your DGT and your Studio.

What is the neck carve on your Studio? That comes into play too...

Thanks for this, I think maybe an S2 might be better for me, I don't need 24 frets, better the devil you know and all that!

The neck on the studio is just classed as a 'pattern neck', doesn't feel too dissimilar to the DGT though. I find the bridge pickup in the DGT to be very bright compared to the 57/08 in the Studio, would the Mira be brighter still?

I only know of the S2 Mira what I've seen from the videos - it certainly seems to be voiced to be a bit brighter, more 'raw' sounding and perhaps less 'smooth' (intentionally, it's meant to be a 'rawk machine').

The neck will feel different - your Pattern and DGT necks are very similar IIRC, but the S2 stuff has Pattern Regular necks which are narrower. I quite like both those carves though.

I only know of the S2 Mira what I've seen from the videos - it certainly seems to be voiced to be a bit brighter, more 'raw' sounding and perhaps less 'smooth' (intentionally, it's meant to be a 'rawk machine').

The neck will feel different - your Pattern and DGT necks are very similar IIRC, but the S2 stuff has Pattern Regular necks which are narrower. I quite like both those carves though.

I can attest to this. The S2 Mira sounds like everything an SG wants to be. I'd say it's inbetween an SG and Les Paul tonally with that sweet PRS sound :rock:

Congrats! Beautiful guitars. I was a late comer to PRS too, being a Strat/Les Paul guy for years. PRS are the best made, sounding and feeling guitars on the planet in my opinion. Take and use those guitars on the gig. Such fine instruments were made to be played and heard.

Thanks for the info, not sure I want brighter, wonder how one would sound with a 57/08 in the bridge? Might make for a great workhorse

I say don't buy a Mira, get some insurance and gig with the ones you have already :)

this will probably happen, I've gigged without issue with my LP Custom, it's just that the PRS's really stand out :)

I can attest to this. The S2 Mira sounds like everything an SG wants to be. I'd say it's inbetween an SG and Les Paul tonally with that sweet PRS sound :rock:

Sounds good!

Congrats! Beautiful guitars. I was a late comer to PRS too, being a Strat/Les Paul guy for years. PRS are the best made, sounding and feeling guitars on the planet in my opinion. Take and use those guitars on the gig. Such fine instruments were made to be played and heard.

I'm definitely playing them, don't worry about that :D

The S2 Mira is a great guitar. I got one a couple of weeks ago with the intention of using it as a backup guitar. But it's the only guitar I've played at my last two gigs. And I plan to play it again at tonight's gig.

It's nice and light and plays like a typical PRS, which is to say great. I had planned to swap pickups but I've decided to hold off for the time being as they sound pretty good as is. The split coil tones are more than good enough for nice sparkly clean tones. Not strat-like, but good enough. As others have noted, it's way better than an SG. Unlike my SG, the Mira stays in tune great and it's definitely more versatile tone-wise. I have some nice core line PRSi also, but for some reason I'm am really liking the Mira a lot right now.

A funny thing happened at the last gig. After the show, a guy came up to me and asked me how old my guitar was. I replied that I got it a week ago. He said, "No, how old is it?." After some back and forth, I figured out that he thought it was some weird off brand piece from the 60's. I think it's really interesting and kind of cool that the Mira gives off that kind of vintage vibe.

Hey. Welcome, and congrats on those two stunners.

I've got a core Mira with 57/08s and it's a rock machine. My take is it's like cross between an SG and an LP Special, but it stays in tune and has perfect fit and finish. The 57/08s are a good match, not that the stock pups need to be replaced. With some drive, it's a raw rocker, with loads of midrange. It just cuts.

It's definitely a different animal that what you've got. If you are happy with the tones you've got, gig with those two beauties! If you want something different, check out the Mira. Also, don't let 24 frets scare you away. Yeah, it's different, but I find that I adjust quickly (it's my only 24 fretted, and I don't play it nearly as often as my Hollowbody).

Beautiful guitars.

I love the Mira but it's a different beast, and that's not a bad thing.

Only concerned about theft, being so eye catching might have its draw backs.

On the Mira tone, I guess I kind of knew that, but would it be a good substitute, in the same way I'd be happy to use one of my Les Paul's instead if needed? All completely subjective I suppose.

Theft is always a concern for sure. My rule is somebody is outside with trailer at all times when loading in and out, never leave anything sitting close to door or entrance that can be carried away easily. If I have to leave my precious guitars in my van for longer than normal I will stack guitars on bench seat and run cable lock around seat, cases and through case handles. Anything to complicate a theft.

Nice guitars too Mr.

Thanks for the info, not sure I want brighter, wonder how one would sound with a 57/08 in the bridge?
5708 is brighter than the original Mira pickup and likely quite a bit brighter than the S2 Mira. The solid mahogany body helps smooth it some compare to a maple top. But I do agree that it is more in the SG camp in terms of tone. They're great sounding guitars.

Great looking guitars! Gig them, that's why you bought em! Keep an eye on them and keep out of sight while you're not on stage.

Back