New tuning buttons

Two screws?

Screenshot-20240116-140828-Chrome.jpg

Looks like five screws, maybe six.

All I play and own is PRS at this point. Huge fan of what goes on at the company but this change + the nitro finish on everything isn't appealing to me as someone who spends a lot of time recording heavy music. Hoping we get some modern spec'd guitars in the Core line soon (Custom 24 hardtail please!).
There’s a bunch of Dusty hard tails in dealers right now. Those are killer specs for heavy music.

Don't like them. The DGT style is the best looking IMO. Yes, I agree they are trying to make things more vintage like a Gibson. They also did it with the SC594 knob layout which I hate. The old SC layout looked great and made more sense.

I like these new versions mainly because it's a unique shape.

Lately I'm drawn more and more to the models that feature unique attributes, such as the mini-humbuckers on the Paul's Guitar, NF53 pickups, etc. There's so much "sameness" in the world of guitars that it's refreshing to see things that are a bit different-- even if it's just a tuner button :)

Maybe I'll look for a set of the new ones to swap on my DGT, as that's the only thing on the DGT I really don't like :D

This doesn't feel like an improvement. The phase 3's are where it's at. No idea why they needed to go away. My 2021 SC594 doesn't stay in tune as well as my 2017 DC594. And why is that?....
Maybe I need to watch the video again, but as I understood it he's only talking about changing the buttons... The deletion of locking tuners on non-trem models has been a thing for a while now.

Maybe I need to watch the video again, but as I understood it he's only talking about changing the buttons... The deletion of locking tuners on non-trem models has been a thing for a while now.
Not according to this:
Screenshot-20240116-140828-Chrome.jpg

I mean, WTF is that?

EDIT: Have they always had two screws per tuner? I thought they only had one. Maybe I just never looked, like ever!

Last edited:
OMG I never noticed that the Phase III's had 2 screws... hopefully they would be a drop in replacement then.
OK I feel a little better about them now then.
They have beeen for the vintage tuners, but there may be an indentation left from the vitage housingb in the finish. Some people have used adapter plates in the shape of a vintage tuner. Maybe someone will chime I can't remember the source.

I actually like the new tuner buttons. I’m the opposite: not sure I ever really got along with the aluminum tuners.

I have a much bigger issue with the fact the Custom 24’s are all routed for that freaking goofy shaped / proprietary shaped Paul’s pickup. It’s a great sounding pickup, and I could see myself keeping it in there; however, if there ever came a time I wanted to change the sound of the pickups, I wouldn’t be able to. I find that unacceptable on a $5,000 guitar. I’m quite sure they could have made Paul’s pickups fit a standard-sized route. This is probably the only deal breaker regarding the new changes, and it’s the one thing that would prevent me from purchasing a new Custom 24.

Going back to the tuners, if you want to swap the new tuners for Phase IIIs — although, it seems the only difference between the new tuners and Phase IIIs is the button — it looks like it’ll be a direct swap.

Some reference pics below.

All my Private Stocks have Phase III’s with ebony wood buttons. Top view:

IMG-1719.jpg

Back view showing two screws per tuner:

IMG-1720.jpg

I have an SE Hollowbody II from a couple years ago. Those tuners are non-locking, I’m guessing because it’s a stoptail. Incidentally, it stays in tune perfectly. I’ve maybe had to retune this thing twice on this pair of strings. Nonetheless, these tuners only have one screw per tuner.

Front view:

IMG-1721.jpg

Back view showing one screw per tuner:

Full-Size-Render.jpg

Back