New S2 PRS 594 Owner somewhat dismayed-PICKUPS?

Frank Luke

Pathfinder69
So, as I have said many times I love the guitar. But the pickups are lifeless, imho. I do not mind investing in the guitar. I mean I already replaced the tuners with the Phase III lockers. That wasn't cheap. But I knew that going in.
Same for the pickups. After watching many videos I expected to make changes at some point. But it seems after only weeks I am ready.
My preference would be PRS pups of some kind.
I have adjusted them up and down and factory specs etc, etc.
was wondering abvout any thoughts you folks might have about the pickups.
Thanks
Frank

You won’t be able to buy aftermarket 58/15’s of any kind without finding them used, but if you want to get some great vintage spec PRS pickups, you can’t go wrong with a set of 57/08’s.
I was looking at those this afternoon at the sweetwater website. $210 each.
I haven't searched for them anywhere else but I will. I figured I would be spending around $500 when I started looking. Thanks

EDIT:
Sweetwater site is the same as everywhere else it seems.
Site info says they will work with the push=pull tone knobs also. That is important to me

I was looking at those this afternoon at the sweetwater website. $210 each.
I haven't searched for them anywhere else but I will. I figured I would be spending around $500 when I started looking. Thanks

EDIT:
Sweetwater site is the same as everywhere else it seems.
Site info says they will work with the push=pull tone knobs also. That is important to me

The PRS online store has been running 15% off sales pretty frequently over the last year or so, if you can hold out for a holiday you might save some money buying direct.

Have you tried new strings, maybe brighter strings ?

Also, have you tried resetting your amp?
If your are expecting it to sound the same as another guitar, you may need to change some amp settings.

Failing that, I would go BKP abraxas or Mules.

I believe the stock pickups are 58/15 “S” pickups. If so, I liked them in my SE HB enough to buy a used set on Reverb.

Maybe it’s worth trying an EQ pedal to see if you can get them working with your rig?

Have you tried new strings, maybe brighter strings ?

Also, have you tried resetting your amp?
If your are expecting it to sound the same as another guitar, you may need to change some amp settings.

Failing that, I would go BKP abraxas or Mules.

I have gotten other suggestions about the BKP abraxas......

I appreciate all the help in this thread. It's great. I do need to clarify. I am not looking or expecting a certain sound or trying to sound like someone else. I have been playing guitar for 35+ years. Played out for about 30 years. Bands, Trio's, Duo's and solo with midi tracks, etc, etc, etc.

I have adjusted the height of the pups to easily 10 different heights above and also below recommended specs. I imagine I could EQ and clean them up. I also know they are not bad. I have played friends Les Pauls, from Studios to Strandards, old and new, Shectors, a few Ibanez's and even Strats with 2 HB's.
I am enjoying the guitar and if my search ended today and things stayed as they re I STILL would be happy with the guitar. I am just looking for "better" options. If I do nothing, that's OK too. With the gear I have I can EQ these pups to death and I can get them to sound like anything I want. But I do not want to have to do that. I want a more "favorable" starting point. If that makes sense?

Perhaps this video will explain some of what I am looking for. The whole video is great, but if you want, the sound comparison starts around 11:20. Also, maybe this video tainted my iew somewhat. IF it did, to me, that's good thing.

Wolfetone Dr Vintage are some great sounding PAF types that should sound fantastic in a 594...

That model has not been out long enough to get a pool of people whom have swapped out pickups, but 57/08 set like andy said is best bet for PRS availability.
The best thing about buying second hand is you can flip them and keep trying if not prefect for you.

I too love bareknuckles but I'm in UK so they are more common on the 2nd hand market

I do love your guitar though, I have a S2 SC all hog, and it now has BK VH11 neck and emerald bridge, both chosen to brighten it up as it is so dark acoustically.

I don't know man ...

I keep trying to dislike the S's in my S2 594...

but it sounds just right enough to catch me being lazy enough to not go through the process of cutting up that fancy factory soldering lol

I don't know man ...

I keep trying to dislike the S's in my S2 594...

but it sounds just right enough to catch me being lazy enough to not go through the process of cutting up that fancy factory soldering lol

I am real close to getting the BKP Abraxas pups but this thread has made me realize I need to give it more time.
Especially since all my experience with Humbucker's is 2nd hand knowledge. Friends, forum members and videos. That Phillip McKnight video was the final thing that led me to buy the guitar. But also, I heard the difference in the pups. But I am going to wait a bit...........Thanks folks....

Last edited:
I really wanted to get it into regular rotation in practice and gigging first before I decided on the pickups..

However I think a change may happen, the guitar is so resonant and open sounding it would be tough not to imagine where the tone can go with a little higher end set of microphones (I think any of the high end USA makers would be an upgrade).

Talk to me in 2 months lol

You probably don't want to read this, but...

I had a McCarty once that was just dead. Couldn't get excited about anything I heard from the guitar no matter what I did with the amp or the guitar controls. The wood in that guitar was just dead. I traded it and found another that blew my doors off. So, I hope you are right, I hope you just need different pickups. But If I were you I would take a trip to GC and test drive another S2 594 and see if it was any better. If that one blows your doors off, then you know it isn't the pickups. It's worth the test.

Those were my first choice actually. Especially because Sweetwater has them and I have the no interest card :)

You probably don't want to read this, but...

I had a McCarty once that was just dead. Couldn't get excited about anything I heard from the guitar no matter what I did with the amp or the guitar controls. The wood in that guitar was just dead. I traded it and found another that blew my doors off. So, I hope you are right, I hope you just need different pickups. But If I were you I would take a trip to GC and test drive another S2 594 and see if it was any better. If that one blows your doors off, then you know it isn't the pickups. It's worth the test.

That is a good idea. No one near me has them yet. But very good idea.....................Info with the guitar says it was assembled 6/6/2020, I bought it 4 weeks later. Store, in New Jersey said they ordered them at NAMM 2020 and they just came in-2 only-one SC and one DC. SC is what I wanted and so was the color-finish.

Try the DC and see if it's more alive. It won't mean you get that one, just take the test drive (if it's still there).

Back