New S2 PRS 594 Owner somewhat dismayed-PICKUPS?

People have described the S2 as more PAF-like vs. the Gretsch-like tone of the Core ones.
Hmmm... the LAST thing I’d call the Starla bridge pickup in my S2 Studio is “PAF-like”. So I guess I’m not one of those “people”.

Edit: @sergiodeblanc , thanks for your post. It motivated to pick my S2 Studio. It’s been out of my rotation lately. It’s great to re-discover your own guitars.

So to summarize my take of recent “S” pickups:
85/15 “S” - Ripping (It reminds you there’s a tone knob) & versatile
58/15 “S” - Warm & rich. PAF-ish
Starla “S” - Gretsch-ISH (very Fendery when split)
#7 “S” - A little bland clean, but great harmonics with gain

So yeah, I’m an “S” fanboi. I haven’t felt a need to replace any of them. Hmm...I guess I practice “The Tao of “S” pickups”.

Last edited:
Hmmm... the LAST thing I’d call the Starla bridge pickup in my S2 Studio is “PAF-like”. So I guess I’m not one of those “people”.

Edit: @sergiodeblanc , thanks for your post. It motivated to pick my S2 Studio. It’s been out of my rotation lately. It’s great to re-discover your own guitars.

So to summarize my take of recent “S” pickups:
85/15 “S” - Ripping (It reminds you there’s a tone knob) & versatile
58/15 “S” - Warm & rich. PAF-ish
Starla “S” - Gretsch-ISH (very Fendery when split)
#7 “S” - A little bland clean, but great harmonics with gain

So yeah, I’m an “S” fanboi. I haven’t felt a need to replace any of them. Hmm...I guess I practice “The Tao of “S” pickups”.

I am by no means an expert on Starla’s or their pickups, I’m just repeating what I’ve heard some people try and describe the differences between how the pickups sound.

I could be completely wrong... it happens at least once or twice a day with me.:oops: Thanks for your first hand account.

I am by no means an expert on Starla’s or their pickups, I’m just repeating what I’ve heard some people try and describe the differences between how the pickups sound.

I could be completely wrong... it happens at least once or twice a day with me.:oops: Thanks for your first hand account.
To be fair, I haven’t played Core Starla pickups. Maybe/probably they are more Gretsch-like than their “S” counterparts. It’s just that I wouldn’t call the “S” versions PAF-like. :D

I love Lollar Low Wind Imperials. Maybe a regular wind in the bridge.

Back