New PRS Purchases

thomasp024

Hi There,
I am in the market for a new PRS. I recently went to a guitar center to try out a few models before buying one. I'm looking for a specif feel. Unlike many other times I have visited a GC, there were no longer any floor models available to play. I got to talking to a salesman and he mentioned PRS will no longer be stocking stores with hand made models as PRS is trying to be more "exclusive". They can only order the guitars upon request.
I mentioned to the manager they should order at least 1 different model of the hand made guitars just as floor models so ppl can try them out.

So, I'm just curious - How does PRS expect anyone to spend thousands of dollars on a guitar they can't try or feel? It would be like buying a car without a test drive.

It just seems like an odd business strategy and I had to ask.

Thanks for your input!

The biggest difference(s) among the various models of PRS guitars, lie in the dimensions of the neck carve and body shapes. This is not counting the electronics, which simply vary from model to model. That said, you can try any SE or core model (which do cost 'thousands of dollars') to feel the different neck carves and body shapes to see which feels best to you. Then if you are shooting for a 'hand made', or private stock, you can specify what you want in the way of tone woods, electronics, finishes, and any other appointments. If you look through the PSF thread you can see how many different projects that are going on and why it would not be practical for an outfit like Guitar Center to try and stock $8000-10,000 guitars for people to 'try out'. No offense intended, but just pointing out simple economics of scale here. But there are stores like Brian's that do have those high end models. Don't know if that is practical for you to drive there.

+ what CoreyT said.

Last edited:
That is not true what the guitar center person stated. they do have models at the stores with a platinum room. But you may see S2 models at all the guitar ctr stores. You should always see SE models. Go to another store in your area, but first call ahead before wasting the gas.

There are at least 5 guitar centers in the Phoenix metro area, but only one of them stocks USA made PRS guitars. Even then, last time I was there they only had a couple Core Custom 24s and a few S2 Custom 24s. So, not only are there fewer GC stores carrying them, they have less inventory at the stores that do.

That is not true what the guitar center person stated. they do have models at the stores with a platinum room. But you may see S2 models at all the guitar ctr stores. You should always see SE models. Go to another store in your area, but first call ahead before wasting the gas.

I believe you are mistaken. The Platinum store in the Twin Cities along with 2 of the 3 other stores told me the exact same thing. In fact, the platinum store manager said that there won't even be any new s2's coming in. In Minnesota there is literally 1 new prs core instrument and it's not at guitar center and that's the entire state. The s2's are not being replaced and the se selection is mighty thin.

I believe you are mistaken. The Platinum store in the Twin Cities along with 2 of the 3 other stores told me the exact same thing. In fact, the platinum store manager said that there won't even be any new s2's coming in. In Minnesota there is literally 1 new prs core instrument and it's not at guitar center and that's the entire state. The s2's are not being replaced and the se selection is mighty thin.

The Platinum store near me has PRS core models. Seems like there's a different story at every GC.

There are lots of unsubstantiated rumors flying around about GC's ability to maintain its inventory. and finances; like many, I don't know who to believe.

Mesa pulled out of GC a while back. GC cut back its stock of core PRS to its Platinum stores.

However, the GC near me seems to have no trouble with inventory. So go figure.

All good replies guys. Thanks for the feedback.

I actually found a couple other stores in my area that sell PRS's and all told me the same thing. When they sold of their current stock, PRS informed them they would not replenish their inventory. They could order guitars per request only. One store did say they still had a few models I am looking for but it was over an hour away and by appointment only.

I have played the SE and S2 models and I have no complaints but I am looking for a custom 24 or 22 with a pattern thin neck. Finally have the funds to get one but as I mentioned, its just odd that its so difficult to find one in person now.

It just seems like an odd move by PRS. They obviously have the capabilities to keep stores stocked but are choosing not to. I was just curious what you guys thought.

Thanks again

When they sold of their current stock, PRS informed them they would not replenish their inventory. They could order guitars per request only.
It just seems like an odd move by PRS. They obviously have the capabilities to keep stores stocked but are choosing not to. I was just curious what you guys thought.
There are lots of rumors as Les mentioned. They (GC) supposedly have a lot of debt that they're having trouble paying, and their cash flow is in bad shape. When PRS send GC guitars, it's not like a retail transaction where payment is made first and then the guitars are sent. PRS sends the guitars out and then sends an invoice. If GC has no free cash, then they won't pay the invoice, and then if GC declares bankruptcy (some have said they were poised to run out of free cash this month), PRS may never see the money for the guitars they already delivered. So, it makes sense to me they would only be delivering special orders.

Also PRS himself has been quoted as saying at least 50% of guitars are sold online nowadays. They have a network of well regarded dealers who specialize in online sales.

... have a lot of debt that they're having trouble paying, and their cash flow is in bad shape. When PRS send GC guitars, it's not like a retail transaction where payment is made first and then the guitars are sent. PRS sends the guitars out and then sends an invoice. If GC has no free cash, then they won't pay the invoice, and then if GC declares bankruptcy (some have said they were poised to run out of free cash this month), PRS may never see the money for the guitars they already delivered.

BINGO!

GC is operating under new ownership and they still have some serious money problems.

The good news is that there are lots of new little new Ma&Pa PRS dealers popping up all the time. Action Music in Falls Church just became a stocking dealer (for example). Classic Axe is also a stocking dealer as they have been for a long time.

The financial aspects of keep PRS guitars in stock certainly makes sense. I guess I just got spoiled waking into a store and being able to grab any model PRS I could think of. The good old days...

Thomas,

I'll echo the sentiments above. There are a LOT of cool GCs out there, but unfortunately it seems a whole lot more mediocre ones. I can vouch for Martin Music and Music Store Live, as I've purchased new PRS from them in the past. I also ordered a Private Stock from The Guitar Shop in Canada back when Mr. Brent Moss was there. I know there are quite a few other really cool PRS dealers who'll help you.

But here's another thought. I've met quite a few PRA enthusiasts who I'm sure would be more than happy to let you try their guitars. Why don't you post your location, and ask if there any any PRS owners nearby, and see if any of them have a model you'd like to try?

The financial aspects of keep PRS guitars in stock certainly makes sense. I guess I just got spoiled waking into a store and being able to grab any model PRS I could think of. The good old days...

At least now you won't have to buy a brand new guitar that is scratched all to hell. The last brand new PRS guitar I bought at GC, there was a 1mm chip in the top which went all the way down to the wood.

But here's another thought. I've met quite a few PRA enthusiasts who I'm sure would be more than happy to let you try their guitars. Why don't you post your location, and ask if there any any PRS owners nearby, and see if any of them have a model you'd like to try?

I like that idea too.

If you live in Southern California - pay a visit to Wild West guitars in Riverside. The have a large selection of PRS's (including artist series guitars) and will let you play them. I have not seen anything but S2 and SE series guitars in my local GC for the past year or so.

Last edited:
There are at least 5 guitar centers in the Phoenix metro area, but only one of them stocks USA made PRS guitars. Even then, last time I was there they only had a couple Core Custom 24s and a few S2 Custom 24s. So, not only are there fewer GC stores carrying them, they have less inventory at the stores that do.

Do you know of any stores (other than GC) in the Phoenix area that stock PRS? Bizarre Guitar has a few used ones, but that's about all I've seen outside of GC, and there it's almost all SEs. I think I've been to every one in the metro area recently too.

I've had similar experiences with the GC in my city (Texas panhandle area). Several years ago I was told by several of the sales staff there, as well as the manager himself, that their location would only stock certain SE models but that the full line was available to order if I was willing to pay upfront. (This was before S2's came into being.) I balked on that because they said store credit would be my only refund option if I didn't accept the guitar or decided to return it. I'm sure some of the problem was that this isn't a major market, but I was never a fan of this particular store itself anyway. For the longest time they had one 'new' SAS on the wall that was so scratched and beaten up that I couldn't see anyone ever buying it. Plus, their customer service was hit or miss at best.

This isn't a 'bash GC' post; just the facts. I think the thing to remember is that there are a number of fantastic PRS dealers in the world, including several GC locations. And if there doesn't happen to be one close to you, any dealer worth his weight should be willing to help you find the guitar that's right for you thru a few phone and/or e-mails, even if that may include having to return one to try another. Some out of pocket shipping costs would be a small price to pay for finding The One...

The top of this page has a link to a list of authorized dealers, so if all else fails that should be a good place to start the search. Good Luck. A new PRS is worth it!

Goldtop Lloyd

Do you know of any stores (other than GC) in the Phoenix area that stock PRS? Bizarre Guitar has a few used ones, but that's about all I've seen outside of GC, and there it's almost all SEs. I think I've been to every one in the metro area recently too.
I bought my main PRS at Bizarre in 2006, but as you probably saw they primarily do Gibson. I have ranted many times on this forum about the lack of PRS available here in Phoenix. There's no silver lining or bright spot. In 2006 when I went out shopping for a guitar with humbuckers, I had no idea I would end up with a PRS, but that's the guitar that fit me the best. If I went on that same pilgrimage today I wouldn't end up with a PRS, because there are hardly any to try.

The lack of PRS at GC is a GC issue, not a PRS issue. GC is at or near the point of bankruptcy, depending on which article you read. Mesa their stock from all GC stores. GC now only stocks core PRS line at platinum stores.

Yeah we have 3 GC in the area and all moved the prs line to one store location. I did see a used one at one of the other locations. Yeah kinda sucks bcs I'd always ask to play one at any location that I visited. They did get the new EB JP and they took fabulous! No i idea about bankruptcy, hope not! That would suck...

If you have transportation, you should drive an hour if what you're looking for is available to try. It's not that much time/$ to get your hands on the actual instrument you want to purchase.

Back