New PRS owner (kind of) longtime lurker

DRBDJSM

Although I have been lurking for a while and only rarely posting--I am now (for the next week) a PRS owner. My 19 year old is a huge John Mayer fan but most of his guitars are Gibson's with the requisite strat and a (kind of) Tele (it is a Fender Tele-Gib--google it)--and it is a gift for him. Although he (we) have a Strat--it has Lace Sensors and he cannot get the tones he wants. I had the opportunity to trade for a PRS Silver Sky (Midnight Rose, maple) in LN condition. I got it at Gruhns and 2 of the salesmen there told me that they had been "messing around with it" because they could find no defecits in tones or playablity. They both seperately told me it is the best Strat style guitar they had ever played (keeping in mind they have played dozens of 50s and 60s pre CBS Strats).

They had 2--matte Sand and Metallic Midnight Gold. I went there to get the Sand but after holdign both and having both Gruhns employes tell me that the Rose one was a much better guitar, I was sold. I got it yesterday and spent all night and all morning today putting it though my paces. I would agree that it is a tremendous guitar! Previously I considered it a bit silly to pay $3k for a guitar that is essentially a nicer$1200 (or less) guitar--but now I get it. The question is not "is it better". Clearly the PRS is better than the current production Fenders and the tiny improvements in Neck and body contours really, really add up.

I get to call it mine for the next week--unitl it becomes "his". We have about 25 guitars. 3 or 4 of them are "his", a few of them are "mine" and the rest are "ours". I suspect this one will become one of "his".

Here is the photo at Gruhns. I am having trouble uploading my own photos. It is not as "pink" in person as it is in the photo. I frequent Gruhns and the guys there know me (and my son) well. I told them I was torn (based on photos) which one I wanted. Seperately, both guys told me "are you CRAZY? This one is one of the better guitars we have ever seen! (consider the sources there and how many great guitars those guys see). Thats all I (personally) needed to hear!" I will agree that it is a remarkable guitar. Now 4:20 pm in Nashville and I have been playing it for around 24 straight hours (minus sleep and the 3 "s" moments of the day). I must agree. Again not a strat guy but this one could change a man!

My son does not know he is getting one (nor has he actually asked). I called him today and told him we are visiting him Friday (he is in college at the Univeristy of Tennessee.) I told him we would be getting there a little later but I suspect that he for sure wants to meet us Friday night (not wait till Saturday). Being 19, with girls to chase and buddies to hang out with--he said, "well I am not sure, Dad." I said, "not gonna tell you what to do but I think you will regret not meeting up with us earlier rather than later." Hes going to $#!+. I am more excited for him than he even knows!
Currently he has one of his Les pauls (studio) and a Martin D-28 (and his Gibson Mandolin). He for sure has a "hole" in his insturment selection so this will cure that--he just does not know it yet!

Last edited:
I have a slightly different idea of purchasing guitars than some guys. My thought is that if you buy quality guitars (Martin, Gibson, now PRS), you are not really losing the $$. Just like I traded my Gretsch for far more than I paid for it--the money is not really "spent" or gone. Quality instruments are appreciating assets and the money is available to get back at nearly any time. As I told my wife yesterday--what are we doing better financially on--the stock market? Cash in a bank account? Or this Gretsch I am trading? George Gruhn has taught me that good guitars are built to last 200+ years. If you buy quality you can get your money back with interest. He has made quite a fortune buying old guitars and selling them! I am not suggesting anyone cash their 401k and buy guitars...not by a long shot...but if you use your head and buy quality, you are not really wasting $$, you are investing in an appreciating asset. I frequently ask people--which is REALLY cheaper? A $600 guitar that will be worth $200 in 10 years? Or a $2300 guitar that will be worth $3k+ in 10 years?

Sweet guitar!

Surprised Gruhn's had that. Most times I've been in there is really thin on PRS.
They had 7 PRS guitars. (notice mine (his) says "Sold")

https://guitars.com/inventory?search=prs

Funny thing about Gruhn's--apples to apples they are a very inexpensive place to shop. People see that they sell $400k guitars and think they are all $400k. Check individual prices against Reverb or other stores. They nearly always beat every price. They are a very affordable place to shop and never "screw" anyone. (this does not imply that a few do not have crazy unrealistic expectations for values--we all know people who do--but they always offer fair trade values and are surprisingly good when they buy things straight up (they do have to make a profit so they typically pay 10-20% less than they plan to sell for)). I have never left there feeling like I did not get a great value. Plus their guitars come set up perfectly and in the case of used you ALWAYS know exactly what you are getting from them. Almost never any surprises with hidden cracks or electronics that do not work. On the very, very rare instance where they miss something they stand behind it 100% and will make it right. If you throw in the thorough set ups, the reassurances they have combed over the guitar, and them standing behind the guitar--that is worth at least a few hundred $$ when buying.

This guitar is functionally BRAND NEW.

Sweet guitar!

Surprised Gruhn's had that. Most times I've been in there is really thin on PRS.
Also I will add that since they are not a PRS dealer--they kind of "get what they get". Most of their used guitars are guitars that people have sold or traded or that were part of collections that they have acquired when people sell or die. They are under very little control of their inventory of used guitars other than what shows up. They are new dealers for Fender, Martin, Taylor, and a few others and boutique makers. But for PRS (and Gibson) and a few others, they get what walks in.

Also I will add that since they are not a PRS dealer--they kind of "get what they get". Most of their used guitars are guitars that people have sold or traded or that were part of collections that they have acquired when people sell or die. They are under very little control of their inventory of used guitars other than what shows up. They are new dealers for Fender, Martin, Taylor, and a few others and boutique makers. But for PRS (and Gibson) and a few others, they get what walks in.

That's precisely why I thought it was slightly odd they had that. Even more odd they had more than one.

I'm very familiar with Gruhn's. In fact, my first guitar came from them back when they were actually downtown. Granted it's a 3/4 squier acoustic.

I used to go in there and Carter probably once a month just browsing when I had a lot more spare time. It also worked out that was about the halfway point between were I lived and where my wife (girlfriend at the time) lived.

Back