New P245 Semi-Hollow

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by drdoom8793, Jun 2, 2015.

1. drdoom8793

drdoom8793 THAT guy at Chick-fil-A

2. intothevoid

intothevoid New Member

Wow! That's definitely what I'm buying next!

3. vchizzle

vchizzle Birdman.

Very cool.

4. aduayer

aduayer New Member

I used to love the SCHB, but the toggle switch was always an issue for me. I prefer the 25" scale length of the SCHB, but I think this P245 Semi hollow just got me. Waiting to see if a Vela Samp Ash/Maple neck will come up so I can place 2 orders.

5. treillw

treillw New Member

So the main differences between this and the SCHBII are the pickups, scale length, and one F hole instead of two. Anything else monumental? I'm curious to see how they are different.

One thing that's a little confusing - it's named a semi hollow, but in the PRS demo video he says it's fully hollow with only one F hole.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZLLKTKj14U‚Äč

I wish that they would make a C24 Semi Hollow with a trem piezo. Something like that is private stock only, correct?

6. kbprs

kbprs New Member

While he said it was basically fully hollow, my guess is that it's just mostly chambered if you take a semi-hollow body and add the larger control cavity route for the piezo electronics.

A semi-hollow is essentially a heavily chambered solid body, with solid wood through the center from tailpiece to neck, fully surrounding the control cavity, and between the controls and lower bout. The hollow-bodies are a mahogany body outline with a carved/arched maple top and back, with a solid mahogany "post" at the bridge/tailpiece. I've seen pictures of this, but Google image search doesn't like me today.

IME, the semi-hollows stay warm and "snappy" but have some extra woodiness and air. The hollow-bodies are sort of the reverse; acoustic and woody with added solidity from the center post. The semi-hollows are definitely a middle-ground between the solid- and hollow-bodies, due to the significantly different back construction between all three.

Then there's all the way to Gretch where there's no center block, floating bridge, etc... but meh. ;)

EDIT: Found one of the images I remember, of a hollowbody..
    [​IMG]

#6 kbprs, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  7. kbprs

kbprs New Member

I think so, but if the S2 semi-hollows are doing well and the P245-SH does well, maybe they'll do P22-SH and P24-SH models?