New P245 Semi-Hollow

I used to love the SCHB, but the toggle switch was always an issue for me. I prefer the 25" scale length of the SCHB, but I think this P245 Semi hollow just got me. Waiting to see if a Vela Samp Ash/Maple neck will come up so I can place 2 orders.

So the main differences between this and the SCHBII are the pickups, scale length, and one F hole instead of two. Anything else monumental? I'm curious to see how they are different.

One thing that's a little confusing - it's named a semi hollow, but in the PRS demo video he says it's fully hollow with only one F hole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZLLKTKj14U

I wish that they would make a C24 Semi Hollow with a trem piezo. Something like that is private stock only, correct?

While he said it was basically fully hollow, my guess is that it's just mostly chambered if you take a semi-hollow body and add the larger control cavity route for the piezo electronics.

A semi-hollow is essentially a heavily chambered solid body, with solid wood through the center from tailpiece to neck, fully surrounding the control cavity, and between the controls and lower bout. The hollow-bodies are a mahogany body outline with a carved/arched maple top and back, with a solid mahogany "post" at the bridge/tailpiece. I've seen pictures of this, but Google image search doesn't like me today.

IME, the semi-hollows stay warm and "snappy" but have some extra woodiness and air. The hollow-bodies are sort of the reverse; acoustic and woody with added solidity from the center post. The semi-hollows are definitely a middle-ground between the solid- and hollow-bodies, due to the significantly different back construction between all three.

Then there's all the way to Gretch where there's no center block, floating bridge, etc... but meh. ;)

EDIT: Found one of the images I remember, of a hollowbody..
IMG_1635_zpsca42a218.jpg

Last edited:
Back