new one again

RobBernal

Hi everyone,my name is Rob. DIY enthusiast, plumber. Running my own local company in St.Louis dedicated to bathtub refinishing and repair. I`ve been playing an acoustic guitar for almost 10 years 9have only experience with the Yamaha ones), so now I`m starting a new music journey with my new PRS SE 245 guitar. Starting from zero actually, no experience with electric guitars what so ever
So hoping this forum will help me in some cases
Thanks in advance, pals! Glad to be here

Hi everyone,my name is Rob. DIY enthusiast, plumber. Running my own local company in St.Louis dedicated to bathtub refinishing and repair. I`ve been playing an acoustic guitar for almost 10 years 9have only experience with the Yamaha ones), so now I`m starting a new music journey with my new PRS SE 245 guitar. Starting from zero actually, no experience with electric guitars what so ever
So hoping this forum will help me in some cases
Thanks in advance, pals! Glad to be here

Welcome to the forum.

I have two pieces of advice for people who are just starting out on electric. Both are important. Here they are.

1- Play really fast!

2- Play really loud!

Both are important if you want the chicks to dig it. :D

Welcome Rob!!! I believe that playing electric will be fabulous for you!! It will be easier to play, and it can get louder a lot quicker!!! As noted, pix are a huge attraction for us droolers here, so be sure to post some. If you are having trouble figuring out the best way to do so, here is a link that has a video, a pdf and links to other posts about the circus of posting pix here at this forum ( https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/sharing-pictures-on-prs-forum.47818/ )!

The Studio & Stage forum here ( https://forums.prsguitars.com/forums/studio-stage.68/ ) is the place to post links to your greatest hits as well if you are inclined to share what you create with these gems!!!

Happy pickin'!
MW

Welcome to the forum.

I have two pieces of advice for people who are just starting out on electric. Both are important. Here they are.

1- Play really fast!

2- Play really loud!

Both are important if you want the chicks to dig it. :D
Certainly fun advice, but there are a couple boring ones as well.
1. Get used to a lower action. It feels weird to try to do bends with the lower action but you'll get used to it.
2. Build your rhythm chops first as you will already have experience with the chord progressions from the acoustic. Then your move to solos will be a new experience for you.
3. Your choice of amp is at least as important as guitar. There are some fine SS amps out there now, unlike when I started on electric, and modelers are amazing these days, but for me, there's nothing like warming up the tubes. Play a bunch of them and see what has the sound you want. I found that I didn't like the EL84 tube sound, but the 6L6's and the EL34's are ear magic for me.
4. Find people to play with. You will have more fun and learn faster than if you do it sitting home.

Certainly fun advice, but there are a couple boring ones as well.
1. Get used to a lower action. It feels weird to try to do bends with the lower action but you'll get used to it.
2. Build your rhythm chops first as you will already have experience with the chord progressions from the acoustic. Then your move to solos will be a new experience for you.
3. Your choice of amp is at least as important as guitar. There are some fine SS amps out there now, unlike when I started on electric, and modelers are amazing these days, but for me, there's nothing like warming up the tubes. Play a bunch of them and see what has the sound you want. I found that I didn't like the EL84 tube sound, but the 6L6's and the EL34's are ear magic for me.
4. Find people to play with. You will have more fun and learn faster than if you do it sitting home.

Excellent points, all. And after you do this, here's two more:

1- Play EVEN FASTER!

2- Play EVEN LOUDER

3- Be EVEN COOLER! :D

The last doesn't count in the 2, since it is not directly part of playing, it's just the result.

Welcome. Ahh St. Louis. Loved the city and nightlife but hated the traffic. Miss my Blues and Cardinals.

Congratulations on your new guitar and welcome to the party!

I just came back from STL! Was that you I heard wailing ?

Welcome, and we will need some pics of that 245, cos we love looking at guitars!

Back