New member with SE questio

Bobz1b

Hi new member here, I'm looking to buy a custom. 24 se flat top 2009, can anyone give me there thoughts on these, or any spec details as in pups and wood etc. I know they don't have the coil tap like the later ones but are they any good, any advice appreciated
Regards
Bob

Mahogany body with a maple top and flame maple veneer on top. I believe they have a maple neck also. The older ones had mahogany necks and don't know when they were switched over.

Should have wide/thin neck.

As for pickups it should be ythe se version of the HFS/VB (Hot, Fat, and it Screams/Vintage Bass) with in all actuality it great pickups. Some people swap them out but I like mine quite a lot. The 09 might have a push pull on the tone pot. Should be a real nice guitar.

I have the exact same year model of the SE custom 24. I would describe it as a SE that has a control configuration that resembles the McCarty Trem. You have the 3-way toggle instead of the blade switch, which is what I prefer. The body's made from 3 pieces of mahogany, 32mm in thickness, topped with a 5mm maple with flame maple veneer, rosewood fretboard on a 3 piece maple neck. The stock pickups are great, unless you have very picky ears like mine. I dig the stock ones a lot, they gave me about 80% of the tone I desire, but I wanted a tighter low-end and brighter high-end to play more metal, so I dropped in some Dimarzio D Activators. I personally don't find the coil splits on the newer models to be that satisfying. I got myself a Strat instead for single-coil tones. The trem system is just godsend. You don't normally get a stock trem that's that good. The only problem is in the nut, which is used through out the whole SE range. It's a bit pinchy on the strings, and may cause minor tuning problems, which is not very hard to cure. A little but of nut sauce will get it done most of the time. If the problem persists, take it to a qualified tech to widen the nut a tad.

All in all, these SEs are professional quality guitars sold at student-friendly prices. Paul really made the SEs live up to their names. They are designed to be quite (not exactly but quite) faithful to the originals, built with good but lower grade wood, Korean-made parts and electronics, assembled in Korea and sent back to USA for final setups, quality inspection etc. They're really big on quality. Lots of competitors out there, there's Epiphone, LTD, Schecter, all these companies making guitars at the same price point, but I would say PRS has the best quality control and there's no stereotypical "beginners guitar" and "high-end guitar" in the whole range, every single SE is a pro instrument. Ask Zach Myers and the guys from Opeth, they play their signature SEs stock, alongside their Maryland-made PRS live, because they believed the SEs hold up well against them, and that they are playing the same instruments that their fans can afford.

Lastly, welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask questions, there are lots of friendly and resourceful folks hanging around here. Have fun! Cheers, Bob. :beer:

For me it would depend on how much the 2009 costs. It would have to be a great deal for me to buy it. Otherwise I would buy a 2012 or 2013. The beveled top looks a whole lot nicer and easier on the forearm when playing. also the coil split gives you more versatility with the tones. Both worth it to me. Again, unless the 2009 is a GREAT deal then hold out for a 2012 or 2013.

Igk. I know exactly what you mean I was sooo close to buying a 2013 just slightly out of my budget at the moment. The 2009 is quite a stunner and all respect to the seller he will do a coil tap upgrade for the price of the parts £20 should I buy it ....decisions decisions eh

Igk. I know exactly what you mean I was sooo close to buying a 2013 just slightly out of my budget at the moment. The 2009 is quite a stunner and all respect to the seller he will do a coil tap upgrade for the price of the parts £20 should I buy it ....decisions decisions eh

Personally I would stay away from the coil split upgrade. I almost never use the coil split on the guitars I have that have them. They just don't sound like a strat or tele.

I would say if you want a single coil sound get a Squier Classic Vibe strat or butterscotch blonde Classic vibe tele. These are very affordable and are excellent single coil guitars.

Also, I was lucky and bought two mint PRS SE's; one for 200US and the other for 250US. One is a Vintage Sunburst flame Singlecut Tremolo that is an awesome guitar, and the other one is a PRS SE Standard, that I had never heard of before and it is solid mahogany with a stop tail, and a Seymour Duncan JB at the bridge. But I also got the original bridge pickup that I want to put back in it because I like the PRS SE pickups. I can use the JB elsewhere.

I know what you mean about the coil splitter I`m not sure I need one and I do have a strat, its just that I`ve heard so much about the new PRS custom 24 but I cant find much as far as reviews on the 2009 flat top, are they the same as the later models apart from the coil tap and bevelled shape ? I could live without that if the 2009 is regarded as a quality guitar, as i said earlier the guy who is selling it is willing to up grade it to split coil for the cost of the parts but if its good in its own right I would just take it how it is if the price is right. I guess a coil spliiter may make it a jack of all trades but master of none eh? I play mainly classic rock and blues
Thanks for all the input guys keep it coming

Bob

There you go, Bob! It's a pretty good review for a flat top SE Custom, maybe not exactly from 2009 but you get the idea of it.

My take on coil splits are that, if you are one who doesn't like lugging more than one guitar around, they'll do the single-coil job for you. They might not sound the same, but I honestly don't think the majority of the audience will go on like, "Hey, this guy's using a coil split instead of true single coils!", unless they are guitarists and in fact one of the very few tone purists (or more like, extremist) out there. One does not simply poop the party just because the guitarist was using a coil split. :rofl:

However, if you are serious about making it a guitar that will cover single-coil and humbucker territories, just put in a coil split. If you prefer to bring your Strat for the stratty stuff, then the coil split won't be necessary at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got both... Well kinda, my flat-top is an Orianthi.

I like the flat-tops, in fact my "O" is my favorite of four SE's I own. Coil splits are pretty easy to add if you're slightly handy so I wouldn't let that hold you back, and the bevel on the new CU's is pretty subtle so I personally wouldn't let that feature dictate your purchase.

The cool thing is (IMO) there's no such thing as a "bad" SE (or PRS for that matter)!

If you can talk the dude down to a reasonable price, I'd advise jumping on it.

Sometimes, "He who hesitates is lost". You have to know when this imperative is in play. If it is you need to move quickly or you will lose out on the deal. Maybe offer the dude to buy it like "now". It seems when they know it is a done deal that they are willing to take the money being offered "now". The "bird in hand" thinking kicks in.

You are going to be getting a super great guitar in all probability. It is just a matter of "getting" it.

The cool thing is (IMO) there's no such thing as a "bad" SE (or PRS for that matter)!

You are going to be getting a super great guitar in all probability. It is just a matter of "getting" it.

Me too. I love my flat-top SE. It's just aesthetically different, not exactly inferior in any way. And I've never picked up any bad SEs. Maybe some guys out there may pick up one or two bad ones that escaped the QC's watch, but I've never come across one myself.

Sorry the hijack the thread, but am I wrong or the Orianthi SE is withdrawn from the catalogue?? Does that mean they don't make korina SEs anymore? :eek:

Thanks guy`s great advice and Im enjoying the forum, I have tried to 'buy it now' but the seller wants to leave it on auction, I will certainly be bidding and it ends tomorrow night so wish me luck. I will let you know how I got on and hopefully post some pix

All the best

Bob

Sorry the hijack the thread, but am I wrong or the Orianthi SE is withdrawn from the catalogue?? Does that mean they don't make korina SEs anymore? :eek:

As far as I can tell the only korina guitar still being make is the Brent mason.

As for the flat top guitars I love mine. Great playing guitar.

Hi. I got the guitar for £379 it's awesome I can see why people like these so much, I didn't opt for the coil upgrade it's got some powerful tones. Will post some pix soon when I can figure out how to do it. I'm a PRS owner yay

Hi. I got the guitar for £379 it's awesome I can see why people like these so much, I didn't opt for the coil upgrade it's got some powerful tones. Will post some pix soon when I can figure out how to do it. I'm a PRS owner yay

Congrats!

"And so it begins...."
(quoteth Kosh, in 1st episode of Babylon 5 TV series - because 1) as a new PRS owner, and 2) member of this forum - you WILL buy more. We guarantee it!) :wink:

Bob,

Congratulations. I'm really glad for you. You "got" that guitar. Alright!

What color did you get? I think you will be probably keeping that guitar for a very long time, especially if it is the first really nice guitar you have ever gotten.

That should be a very nice guitar. I have been playing my "older" PRS SE Standard for the last few days. It is a really nice guitar and plays and sounds great. I have it plugged in now. It is a solid mahogany body with mahogany neck.

I wouldn't be surprised if you are bonding with that guitar already, assuming that you have it home. What amp are you playing it thru. The amp is the other half of the equation. A really decent amp will have to be next unless, of course, you have one already.

Good luck and have a lot of fun with the new PRS SE.

Back