New guy looking to go on a buying spree

Coach T.

Hey y’all! Greetings from the Deep South! New guy to the site and the world of PRS and am looking for a little knowledge. I picked up a 2015 S2 Satin Standard in a trade a few weeks ago and have been kicking myself for not getting on board years ago. I’ve been playing for 30+ years and have had everything under the sun...except a PRS. I’ve played a few over the years for a minute or two here and there but never really “got it”. I do now and am looking to stock my guitar cave with a few more. I’ve ordered the S2 McCarty already but saw a new Vela hanging on the wall at GC yesterday for $899 brand new. I plugged it in and intended to walk out of there with it but didn’t mesh with it in the same way I had with the S2. I did some research when I got home and saw that the neck profile on both were pattern regular. I freaking LOVE the neck carve on the Satin but the Vela certainly didn’t feel like the same shape, feeling a bit smaller and more narrow at the nut. Do you think it is different because of the 5 year gap in age or is it just me? The Vela neck felt more like one of my EBMM carves than the Satin? Anyone have any thoughts?

Welcome to the PRS rabbit hole,o there's a lot of bad influences around here. I have a '18 S2 Singlecut Satin and a '19 Vela Semi-Hollow, and like you I feel the Vela neck is narrower. I don't mind it as the guitar sounds great, but it does feel different.

As an enabler-in-training here, I welcome you to the best place I know of for information on all things PRS. Most of us also have a bunch of other guitars, but share the love of PRS here.

You’ll get lots of “this is the best ever PRS” opinions here, so I’ll throw mine in too. The best guitars PRS has ever made in my opinion both begin with the number 5. That would be the 513 and the 594. If you prefer a more pattern neck, the 513 (my all time fave), but you should also give a pattern vintage neck a go, the 594, my all time #2.

In truth, it’s hard to mess up with PRS. I’ve never played a bad one.

Congratulations CoachT, the slope is slippery!;)

Welcome to the PRS rabbit hole,o there's a lot of bad influences around here. I have a '18 S2 Singlecut Satin and a '19 Vela Semi-Hollow, and like you I feel the Vela neck is narrower. I don't mind it as the guitar sounds great, but it does feel different.

Bad Influence TM !! $50 please;):p

As an enabler-in-training here, I welcome you to the best place I know of for information on all things PRS. Most of us also have a bunch of other guitars, but share the love of PRS here.

You’ll get lots of “this is the best ever PRS” opinions here, so I’ll throw mine in too. The best guitars PRS has ever made in my opinion both begin with the number 5. That would be the 513 and the 594. If you prefer a more pattern neck, the 513 (my all time fave), but you should also give a pattern vintage neck a go, the 594, my all time #2.

In truth, it’s hard to mess up with PRS. I’ve never played a bad one.
Super like. 513 (3 of them ) and 594 (2 , with 1 more in the oven) addict here.
But you really cant go wrong with any. They are great across of the range

You passed on a New Vela for $899??!!

giphy.gif

Ohhh my...
georgetakei.jpg

Congrats on your S2 Satin Standard...Great guitars, especially the fact that all mahogany really sounds really full, to my ear, anyway......(Not to be the bearer of bad news, but...) I think you might one day regret passing on the $899 Vela (NEW??!) in years to come...And here's why: A lot of people here (especially me) initially entered the PRS fandom/addiction thing listening to their (PRS's) humbucker sounds (mostly), with the option of some single coil goodness. So we go through life listening/saving/buying/etc...And then, right when we get really close to that sound we want to hear, Paul comes out with something totally, tonally different (more aimed at SC, rather than HB) . Enter the Vela. And with this coming out at a really reasonable price point, AND some totally different sounds, we (well, a lot of us...) jump on a Vela. Just for a different addition to the stall. I am a big fan of the older Wide-Fat necks, but the Vela neck feels fine to me. They're just an awesome guitar for the money...Much like your new Standard!!! Enjoy your new axe, but...you've been warned!!!! ;):D

Hope that didn't ramble too much...still on my first cup o' joe.

Congrats on your S2 Satin Standard...Great guitars, especially the fact that all mahogany really sounds really full, to my ear, anyway......(Not to be the bearer of bad news, but...) I think you might one day regret passing on the $899 Vela (NEW??!) in years to come...And here's why: A lot of people here (especially me) initially entered the PRS fandom/addiction thing listening to their (PRS's) humbucker sounds (mostly), with the option of some single coil goodness. So we go through life listening/saving/buying/etc...And then, right when we get really close to that sound we want to hear, Paul comes out with something totally, tonally different (more aimed at SC, rather than HB) . Enter the Vela. And with this coming out at a really reasonable price point, AND some totally different sounds, we (well, a lot of us...) jump on a Vela. Just for a different addition to the stall. I am a big fan of the older Wide-Fat necks, but the Vela neck feels fine to me. They're just an awesome guitar for the money...Much like your new Standard!!! Enjoy your new axe, but...you've been warned!!!! ;):D

Hope that didn't ramble too much...still on my first cup o' joe.
As a matter of fact, I checked the store’s inventory yesterday and the Vela is still there. $899 is a crazy good price and my son, an employee at a different location, says these kind of deals should be popping up all over the place with the new S2 models set to ship in March. However, the lower prices won’t be posted online and you’ll have to step inside the store to check the “sale” tags.

Hey, Coach! What types of music do you like to play? That’ll help narrow down the tones / guitars we might recommend.
I’m a rock guy first and foremost. Grew up in the 80s, had the Charvels and big hair, and played in cover bands that mirrored the times. I’m a guy who doesn’t gig a lot anymore, a guest spot or two a year probably, and get my kicks out of recording at home mostly. I’m an Eddie guy, love Elliot Easton and Neil Geraldo, Trower and Travers, Sykes, Angus, and Warren. And Coletrane and Miles and Fagen/Becker and......you get it!

Back