New cables

Holy mackerel. And I thought my cable management was unruly. Ah, well, nothing that might need tidying up, there's Les' example we can appreciate...

Speaking of cables, this thread reminded me to have Sinasoid make some custom length Van Damme cables for me, so I ordered some.

Looks great! Super-nice rig, and I dig the decor, too!

Thank you! Keepin' it surreal. :)

Hmm. The Gundam back in the corner seems to have dropped his green metal flake B.C. Rich. Careless!

Thank you! Keepin' it surreal. :)

Hmm. The Gundam back in the corner seems to have dropped his green metal flake B.C. Rich. Careless!

Since you were kind enough to share your super-cool synth and studio setup, here’s mine as of the current recording session for a car ad project I’m working on.

I record instruments in the part of the room where the amps are (there’s a Mesa Fillmore that’s on a shelf that doesn’t show in the picture as well). In the workstation area most of my work has been “in the box” for quite a few years. The only hardware synth I currently have is a Prophet 12, but that will change soon, as I’m gunning to add a Prophet 6 just because. The larger keyboard is just a Yamaha 88 note MIDI controller.

Workstation area as seen from recording area:

XAIgCc1.jpg

Amp area set up for current project. The Fillmore head is in a bookshelf off to the left that doesn’t show in this pic.

TPe0rW0.jpg

Since you were kind enough to share your super-cool synth and studio setup, here’s mine as of the current recording session for a car ad project I’m working on.

Before I go on - I can hardly believe this, but I have precisely the same Russian submarine clock you do. I completely missed it until I almost finished what I wrote below!

Your studio - Once again, very elegant! In truth, I sigh in envy at the clean, professional, Minimalism of it as opposed to my pile, though I'd weep to give up all the knobs, which is where the fun chiefly lies. And I do love that black-and-wood Moog motif. :) Fun is all I'm in it for at this point though, so indulging drifting oscillators and getting regular surprises is all part of the plan. God knows, if I actually needed to Get Something Done I'd opt for your setup hands down. I covet that little Mesa, btw!

There are a few amps around this place, which date back through the Elder Days when I used to gig, primarily on bass. When I want to turn the synthesizers up a bit there's a venerable Ampeg B25B that I run them through, which can withstand any inadvertent low end blurps that might happen. Apart from that, the guitar signal chain ultimately goes in stereo to two small tube amps, an old Fender and a newer Bugera placed on either side of the TV, inboard of the hi-fi speakers, which is in the direction from which you're looking at the chair. Utter self indulgence! My fave, though it doesn't get used as often as it should, is a Gibson GA-30 Super Goldtone, partially visible behind the PRS on the stand. There are also a couple of keyboard synths around, most notably a Nord Lead 3, which has possibly the best interface ever devised. Unfortunately, my keyboard skills clearly mark me as one of those for whom sequencers were invented!

Back on the job! In truth his timing is a little ragged, but he makes up for it in sheer aggressiveness.

Before I go on - I can hardly believe this, but I have precisely the same Russian submarine clock you do. I completely missed it until I almost finished what I wrote below!

Awesome! I got mine when Restoration Hardware was kind of new in my area. It’s claimed to be from the original Russian sub clock maker, if memory serves, and it sure is heavy-duty enough that I’d believe it (did yours come with the little instruction manual in English and Russian?).

My only problem with it in the studio is that it ticks and tocks relatively loudly, so I can’t let it run when I’m working on a project. :(

Last edited:
It’s claimed to be from the original Russian sub clock maker, if memory serves, and it sure is heavy-duty enough that I’d believe it (did yours come with the little instruction manual in English and Russian?).

Mine was a gift from my sister & brother in law probably 30 years ago - I've been nuts for submarines since I was a kid, so it wasn't randomly chosen. Yep, got original cardboard box (definitely has that Russian look), the manual and 2 keys. The maker is POBEDA, or close enough - it means "victory" in Russian. I also have a wristwatch, with a different sub motif from the same mfr. An actual mechanical watch! Keeps good time, too!

I'm going to guess Mustang Mach-e! (Based on nothing) That would be pretty cool to see a car commercial and know who composed the music in it.

I'm going to guess the Borman 6, just to see who remembers it. :)

Back