New cables

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I've ditched the rack mount gear in favor of cleaner tones and less effects..........well that's where I WAS going to go but I just tripped into a different kind of rabbit hole.

First, barber tone press comp amp.

Second, Les raved about the Pettyjohn V pedal AND posted a video. So I'll just add that.

Third, well crap I REALLY need a delay too so TC Electronics Nova pedal. Done

Fourth. Well crap. I've got these nice intex guitar cables so I better get a couple intex stomobox cables...............well CRAP! I've got that wampler pinnicale deluxe pedal........better get that in the mix.

Fifth, Hello??? .......Yes, please send me 4 stompbox cables.

Guess what????? I need a dang pedal board.

N E V E R E N D S

Even after you’ve embraced the Kemper life, you’ll never eliminate your pedalboard (or your real amp, actually). And as soon as you try to ditch it, you’ll turn around and spend even more $$$ on the replacement because now, you know what you want and are more impatient to get it. I’ve listed most of my pedals before only to take them down before anything horrible happened. I still have a few that need to go, though. :oops:

N E V E R E N D S

That’s the best part! It’s always party time. :)

Speaking of pedalboards, I’ve had plain ones, home built ones, custom made ones, but now I have one of these, and it’s one of the slickest pieces of gear I’ve ever had in my studio:

I didn’t get the lid, since I don’t tour or need it, I got the soft case instead, which is fine for studio-land. They make lots of models and configurations. And yeah, they did a blueprint layout, including all of my pedals to scale.

Here ‘tis:

nKopwNj.jpg

Last edited:
I have more like a pedal table, with more pedals on the floor to adjust the controls on the pedals on the table. Moogerfoogers are in a class by themselves but they sure take up a lot of real estate.

I haven't used a pedal in 40 years :cool:
lol - I've gone the other way. I didn't use a pedal for like 30 years and just used overdrive and reverb in amp. (I did have a delay pedal but it sucked and I rarely used it.) But now I've got this giant pedal board w 11 pedals (if you include the looper and ABY switch) and a loops switcher thingy.) There are now all on a pedal train board with dedicated power supply. ...I wonder when I get to a point where I try to simplify???

I have more like a pedal table, with more pedals on the floor to adjust the controls on the pedals on the table. Moogerfoogers are in a class by themselves but they sure take up a lot of real estate.

I have my amp switch boxes on a wheeled Anthro medical cart, and sometimes put my whole pedalboard on a table so I can work with the controls.

Moogerfoogers are fantastic devices. Great with synths, too!

I have more like a pedal table, with more pedals on the floor to adjust the controls on the pedals on the table.

****I made a rolling pedal table, so my pedals are at a level where I can adjust without bending over...yup...old, AND lazy!!!

Last edited:
That’s the best part! It’s always party time. :)

Speaking of pedalboards, I’ve had plain ones, home built ones, custom made ones, but now I have one of these, and it’s one of the slickest pieces of gear I’ve ever had in my studio:

I didn’t get the lid, since I don’t tour or need it, I got the soft case instead, which is fine for studio-land. They make lots of models and configurations. And yeah, they did a blueprint layout, including all of my pedals to scale.

Here ‘tis:

nKopwNj.jpg
Nice looking setup

Perhaps a silly question given the audience, but will getting two ten foot Signature instrument cables and two three foot Signature speaker cables drastically enhance the quality of my sound versus basic Planet Waves cables?

Perhaps a silly question given the audience, but will getting two ten foot Signature instrument cables and two three foot Signature speaker cables drastically enhance the quality of my sound versus basic Planet Waves cables?

There are too many variables to be able to answer this question. You have to try a cable in your own rig to know if it’ll make enough of a difference for you, with your guitar, pedals, amp, playing style, and ears.

In addition to high frequency loss due to capacitance, are such issues as noise rejection, handling noise, cable flexibility, and many other concerns that cable manufacturers try to balance out.

All cables will eventually lose high end to capacitance roll off, the question is how much cable length you can have before it becomes noticeable. If you’re running a ten foot cable to the pedalboard, and aren’t using a buffer on the board, then with the ten foot cable from pedalboard to amp, you’re running a fair amount of cable, and you might see improvements in frequency response, noise rejection, etc., with the PRS/Van Damme (Signature) cable.

I switched to the PRS/Van Damme cable when it first came out 5 or 6 years ago, because it worked well for me; I’m getting better high frequency response with it, and found that I can have longer cable runs without high frequency signal loss becoming noticeable. I also like the very high flexibility. The cable lays flat, doesn’t curl or tangle on the floor, so it doesn’t get in the way.

I was using high quality cable before; if I found a better sounding cable for my rig, I’d switch to it, but I haven’t.

It’s interesting to know that Abbey Road studios are wired with miles of Van Damme cables; it’s definitely the good stuff!

I have my amp switch boxes on a wheeled Anthro medical cart, and sometimes put my whole pedalboard on a table so I can work with the controls.

Moogerfoogers are fantastic devices. Great with synths, too!

They are! They're basically standalone synth modues (mostly dual, actually, since they have the ""effect" itself plus either an LFO or an envelope follower). I have a Doepfer Dark Energy semimodular that also works on the 1 volt /octave standard and they play together very nicely. The Doepfer has a MIDI to CV converter, and I also have a Sonuus GM2, which is a pitch-to-MIDI plus gate converter, so I can plug a guitar (no mods or hex pickups!) into that and use it to trigger the synth's envelope generator,

Just as a for instance, using just the Moog low pass filter and ring modulator, I set up the ring mod to act as a tremolo, then patched the envelope follower from the LP filter to modulate the carrier in the ring mod. The result - tremolo that incresases in speed with the volume of your playing. Play with an E-bow and when the volume goes up it sounds like a very nervous violinist. Push it bast a certain point and it evolves into ring mod madness.

I really like your pedal board, BTW. Very elegant. Is that little guy in the upper right with the thundercloud the main power?

They are! They're basically standalone synth modues (mostly dual, actually, since they have the ""effect" itself plus either an LFO or an envelope follower). I have a Doepfer Dark Energy semimodular that also works on the 1 volt /octave standard and they play together very nicely. The Doepfer has a MIDI to CV converter, and I also have a Sonuus GM2, which is a pitch-to-MIDI plus gate converter, so I can plug a guitar (no mods or hex pickups!) into that and use it to trigger the synth's envelope generator,

Just as a for instance, using just the Moog low pass filter and ring modulator, I set up the ring mod to act as a tremolo, then patched the envelope follower from the LP filter to modulate the carrier in the ring mod. The result - tremolo that incresases in speed with the volume of your playing. Play with an E-bow and when the volume goes up it sounds like a very nervous violinist. Push it bast a certain point and it evolves into ring mod madness.

I really like your pedal board, BTW. Very elegant. Is that little guy in the upper right with the thundercloud the main power?

Thanks! The little pedal with the thundercloud switches the channels on my Mesas. It’s a plain ol’ latching switch, just a very small one.

The greatest innovation (to me) on the pedalboard is that the top tier stays open by itself via spring loaded hinges when you want to work underneath the surface of the board, and latches closed.

You don’t have to tip the board upside-down to work on the wiring or power supply, or whatever pedals you have underneath the shelf, or have a second person around to hold the shelf open while you fuss with the wiring. The bottom shelf also snaps out for working on the board, and the supports for the top tier are movable, so it can accommodate cable jacks, etc.

The pedalboard and amps are all powered by a Furman PF1800 PFR that has isolated outlets, and a 45 Amp power reservoir, so when an amp needs juice, it gets it faster than many wall sockets can deliver it. I use the power switch on the Furman to power up the board. So it doesn’t need a power switch.

I switch between the amps with a couple of Lehle switchers that I keep on top of a small rack that holds the power supply; the amps all stay wired up. So when I need to move the pedalboard I don’t have to disconnect four amp cables, just one cable from the board to the switcher.

I’d love to see your synth rig - if you have any pics, please post them!

Unfortunately, the work I’ve been doing for many years requires synths that can do recallable presets, because when doing music for picture, there are lots of changes through various last-minute iterations of picture, so modulars don’t work for me, sadly.

Over the years I’ve had a lot of analog and digital synths (often “in the box” for the last ten years or so). I wish I’d kept more of the hardware synths I had, some were truly great sounding. Oh well! Right now my only hardware synth is a DSI Prophet 12, but I’m seriously thinking about adding a Prophet 6, just because they sound so great.

I’d love to see your synth rig - if you have any pics, please post them!

Unfortunately, the work I’ve been doing for many years requires synths that can do recallable presets, because when doing music for picture, there are lots of changes through various last-minute iterations of picture, so modulars don’t work for me, sadly.

Over the years I’ve had a lot of analog and digital synths (often “in the box” for the last ten years or so). I wish I’d kept more of the hardware synths I had, some were truly great sounding. Oh well! Right now my only hardware synth is a DSI Prophet 12, but I’m seriously thinking about adding a Prophet 6, just because they sound so great.
I will take a few, after I get out the mini-vac and make it fit for company. ;)
HonestIy, I have more room than sense, and I've accumulated a shameful (given the extent of my actual abilities) amount of stuff over the years, much to the chagrin of my wife. But I just promise her that she can look forward to having a really great estate sale!

I feel you pain. I put on bunch of pedals on my Birthday list, and now im also in desperate need of a pedal board.

Back