New Amp Day

smalls

I was looking at amps today (my current amp was having technical difficulties) and I found this guy at one of my local shops. A "Bugs Henderson" Dallas 1x12 combo. I just played around with it a little bit tonight and it's pretty sweet. The cleans are beautiful for sure.

So in the last week I've picked up a really nice, unique PRS guitar, and a pretty rare (1 of 12) PRS amp. PRS fanboy starter kit complete, I guess. Do I just go ahead and book my ticket for the Experience now, or what?

That's a stunner! If it sounds as good as it looks, you're golden. Congrats!

Congrats!

I had to do it. I added a signature to your profile. You can delete it or change it if you hate it...

But when I read the phrase "fanboy starter kit", it just had to be done.

for someone who has never liked paisley, I'm really surprised at how much I love the PRS amps that come dressed in it.

Well, I spent a lot of quality time with the Dallas today. Towards the end of my practice session last night it started squealing. After a little troubleshooting one of the power tubes seemed to be the problem. Called the store I bought it from and they hooked me up with a matched pair of 6L6's. I installed them and re-biased the amp (which was WAY easier than I thought it would be). While I was digging around I pulled the chassis and took a peek under the hood. First class construction all the way! Really nice wiring and layout. While I was checking out the cabinet's construction I found a panel on the cabinet that was wiggling a little more than I liked. It was the board that holds the chassis. The one the handle attaches to. One of the screws holding it to the top of the cabinet had apparently stripped/vibrated loose. I replaced the stripped screw with something a little beefier, then put it all back together. Other than the stripped screw the cabinet was super solid. If I hadn't pulled the chassis I'd never found it. One nice touch I found in the cab were two little square blocks supporting the chassis. Even if all the screws and bolts holding the chassis AND the board it's attached to failed, these little blocks would support the chassis's weight. Nice touch. Maybe I've had other amps with similar designs, but this is the first one I've noticed. All in all, a couple hours of elbow grease and it was back in shape (hopefully).

Normally, if I ran into these kind of issues with a "new to me" used amp, I'd probably take it back and move on, but this amp is so cool I don't mind. This is one of the first amps I've owned where i didn't want to run pedals through it. It just sounds so good on it's own! I will anyway, since I kind of need them for the songs I'm playing, but it will be under protest!

Here's a gut shot for the curious:

And the pedalboard:

Last edited:
Winner and winner -- glad your store is taking care of you, and glad you're digging it so much.

Back