Need Help Selecting a PRS

Tom J

First post. Lifelong guitarist looking to select my first PRS. Fell in love with the look and sound due to Mike Oldfield, Carlos Santana. I play all styles but have 50's Strat and Tele to cover the single coil rock and blues sounds, and Gibson L-4 and Heritage Kenny Burrell for Jazz. Just sold a 57 VOS Les Paul BB since it just isn't comfortable when sitting. So looking for a great humbucker guitar that can sweetly crunch, clearly ring, and sustain a long time. Looking at the Core line as I'm willing to spend. Could someone help me form a shortlist to consider? Thanks

Custom 24 or 22
DGT
Santana
Pauls Guitar
Custom 22 Special Semi Hollow

It really does not matter once you get one more will just start showing up on your doorstep because PRS are like chips you can't have just one.
Great luck in your search

Welcome to the forum Tom.

I’d start by trying a Santana, a DGT and a double cut 594. I think that would give you a good sense of where in the line you most want to be.

I’d agree, or substitute the CU24 for the Santana, simply because they’re so essential to the PRS line, and they’re easier to find than Santanas in the shops, if someone wants to play before buying (which I’d recommend!).

You know, I've bought and sold four Les Paul's over the years so looking forward to finding a keeper solid humbucker. What about the SC245? Too much an LP relative?

First post. Lifelong guitarist looking to select my first PRS. Fell in love with the look and sound due to Mike Oldfield, Carlos Santana. I play all styles but have 50's Strat and Tele to cover the single coil rock and blues sounds, and Gibson L-4 and Heritage Kenny Burrell for Jazz. Just sold a 57 VOS Les Paul BB since it just isn't comfortable when sitting. So looking for a great humbucker guitar that can sweetly crunch, clearly ring, and sustain a long time. Looking at the Core line as I'm willing to spend. Could someone help me form a shortlist to consider? Thanks

Cant go wrong with a santana. I have this model and it is inexpensive, but man does it sing. Needs better tuning gears but that is an easy fix

https://reverb.com/item/28133588-paul-reed-smith-se-santana-standard-2018

You know, I've bought and sold four Les Paul's over the years so looking forward to finding a keeper solid humbucker. What about the SC245? Too much an LP relative?
It’s a good candidate if you like the character of a Les Paul, but not the feel. I find by SC245 far more comfortable to play than the Les Paul - I pretty much stopped playing the LP after I got the SC245.

My SC245 is noticeably mellower sound wise. I forget if I have 57/08 or 59/09 in it. It has one of them and my SC250 has the other. Neither has as much low end bias as a Les Paul.

594. The 58/15LT can crunch, butter up and split like no other humbucker I've ever played. And the 594 in all other respects is the best guitar ever made. I have three. So far.

The DGT is also a true tone machine, the only thing I dislike about it personally is the narrower nut and neck carve. I had one made through Private Stock with a standard McCarty nut and Wide Fat neck and that guitar is sensational. The DGT pickups are very unique. They have quite a high output bite to them but with less full-on compression, and they also split and clean up incredibly well.

Enjoy your search.

And Santanas rule.

I have both an R9 (Kossoff aged) LP and a SC250 (avatar). Completely different animals. The sc245 has the same scale as LP but is certainly also very different.

Thanks gents. I have it down to a 2011 McCarty 58 or a 2004 Custom 22. Thoughts? I would buy it on approval via a brick and mortar dealer.

It’s a good candidate if you like the character of a Les Paul, but not the feel. I find by SC245 far more comfortable to play than the Les Paul - I pretty much stopped playing the LP after I got the SC245.
That’s just how I’d put it as well. I had a Les Paul Traditional and Studio. They both sounded great, but once I played an SC-58, I knew any future singlecut guitars would be from PRS and not Gibson. It was just more enjoyable to physically play. Sold and traded away both LPs shortly after. Only traded away my Stripped ‘58 for a 594 (on another level), but I’ll own another PRS singlecut of some sort again, I’m sure.

I’d vote the McCarty 58 with the 53/10s since those pickups are terrific and no longer available. Plus McCarty’s are thicker bodied guitars than Custom 22s so they’ll have a thicker sound in the low/mid range, though not like an LP. The 53/10s are the lowest output of all the 5x/xx series. Ironically I have them in a....Custom 22! :)

I’m assuming this is the DC McCarty 58 and not the SC 58 you are referring to? SC is thicker than the DC and closer to LP territory but still it’s own thing. Compared to the newer 58/15LT pickups I find the 53/10s to be somewhat ‘warmer’ sounding to my ear, especially the neck position. To others that may be considered less clarity though. I like them both :)

Back