Need Help Selecting a PRS

You know, I've bought and sold four Les Paul's over the years so looking forward to finding a keeper solid humbucker. What about the SC245? Too much an LP relative?

Consider the neck profiles and fretboard radii of the Santana and DGT, please, if you're including these in your search. Santana has a flatter neck radius; DGT has a thicker neck carve.

594 has a 50's style neck with a variable taper up the neck. Doublecut might be easier weight-wise. Singlecuts in 2020 will mimic the old-style '59 LPs.

Can't go wrong with a 408. Might tick all the boxes, check one out.

McCarty has a thicker neck carve, rounder fretboard radius than a Santana. Voiced rounder, deeper, slightly more lower-mid friendly.

SC245 might be too much like the LP in weight and profile, but very close in tone.

Cu22 and Cu24's are voiced differently, weigh less, and tend to be more upper-mid friendly.

Hope this will be a starting point. View some YT videos for more comparisons, with a variety of choices.

Amp wise, I just dumped my modelers, save a Boss Katana 50 grab & go, for a Matchless Independence (3 channels) and a Fender Deluxe Vintage Modified. I’m all good.

not trying to get into a shoe throwing argument, but I ended up only using a few profiles. The rest just seemed like a rabbit hole to get lost in. Had a Kemper, the Atomic Amplifire. The Katana is great for the versatility, price, & weight. Otherwise I prefer the Deluxe (with the VM gain) and the versatility of the Independence. YMMV.

First post. Lifelong guitarist looking to select my first PRS. Fell in love with the look and sound due to Mike Oldfield, Carlos Santana. I play all styles but have 50's Strat and Tele to cover the single coil rock and blues sounds, and Gibson L-4 and Heritage Kenny Burrell for Jazz. Just sold a 57 VOS Les Paul BB since it just isn't comfortable when sitting. So looking for a great humbucker guitar that can sweetly crunch, clearly ring, and sustain a long time. Looking at the Core line as I'm willing to spend. Could someone help me form a shortlist to consider? Thanks

I've had a couple of SE's and about 6 months ago purchased a 509. Love it, so many tone possibilities.

Only have a 408 and a McCarty so that's all I could recommend both sweet guitars.

First post. Lifelong guitarist looking to select my first PRS. Fell in love with the look and sound due to Mike Oldfield, Carlos Santana. I play all styles but have 50's Strat and Tele to cover the single coil rock and blues sounds, and Gibson L-4 and Heritage Kenny Burrell for Jazz. Just sold a 57 VOS Les Paul BB since it just isn't comfortable when sitting. So looking for a great humbucker guitar that can sweetly crunch, clearly ring, and sustain a long time. Looking at the Core line as I'm willing to spend. Could someone help me form a shortlist to consider? Thanks
YOU MUST WATCH THIS: TELE MEETS DGT.

Notice that Grissom is playing through a Fender. Good sound, but the rig sounds way different/more-sizzle-less-cream than his usual DG30/50. But listen to the touch sense on that man's guitar. As Greg Koch would say: "What?!!"

Last edited:
Back