Need Help Selecting a PRS

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Tom J, Oct 7, 2019.

1. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Open-Ears / Zippered Lips

Consider the neck profiles and fretboard radii of the Santana and DGT, please, if you're including these in your search. Santana has a flatter neck radius; DGT has a thicker neck carve.

594 has a 50's style neck with a variable taper up the neck. Doublecut might be easier weight-wise. Singlecuts in 2020 will mimic the old-style '59 LPs.

Can't go wrong with a 408. Might tick all the boxes, check one out.

McCarty has a thicker neck carve, rounder fretboard radius than a Santana. Voiced rounder, deeper, slightly more lower-mid friendly.

SC245 might be too much like the LP in weight and profile, but very close in tone.

Cu22 and Cu24's are voiced differently, weigh less, and tend to be more upper-mid friendly.

Hope this will be a starting point. View some YT videos for more comparisons, with a variety of choices.

2. RedGuitars

RedGuitars Thread killer

Amp wise, I just dumped my modelers, save a Boss Katana 50 grab & go, for a Matchless Independence (3 channels) and a Fender Deluxe Vintage Modified. I’m all good.

not trying to get into a shoe throwing argument, but I ended up only using a few profiles. The rest just seemed like a rabbit hole to get lost in. Had a Kemper, the Atomic Amplifire. The Katana is great for the versatility, price, & weight. Otherwise I prefer the Deluxe (with the VM gain) and the versatility of the Independence. YMMV.

3. Bill-in-Tampa

Bill-in-Tampa New Member

I've had a couple of SE's and about 6 months ago purchased a 509. Love it, so many tone possibilities.

Glide-bpm and bodia like this.
  4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Congrats! 509s are b!tchin’ guitars.

Glide-bpm likes this.
  5. Mark Bois

Mark Bois New Member

Only have a 408 and a McCarty so that's all I could recommend both sweet guitars.

6. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Plugged In.

YOU MUST WATCH THIS: TELE MEETS DGT.

Notice that Grissom is playing through a Fender. Good sound, but the rig sounds way different/more-sizzle-less-cream than his usual DG30/50. But listen to the touch sense on that man's guitar. As Greg Koch would say: "What?!!"

#46 ViperDoc, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Alnus Rubra and Davey like this.