Neck size

Ken Rose

Generally which PRS models have the thinnest necks and what is the term used to identify them? I see things like "pattern neck" etc.

Pattern thin is the current designation for the thin PRS necks - it used to be called wide thin. The Tremonti and Custom 24 Floyd are two models where that neck is standard. There may be more.

Generally which PRS models have the thinnest necks and what is the term used to identify them? I see things like "pattern neck" etc.

Pattern in this context is perhaps best to think of it as a 'template' and that the necks are carved to this 'template' over and over again to keep them more consistent. A repeating 'pattern' to ensure that all the necks are incredibly similar over and over and over again. If you like the 'pattern-thin' neck for example, all guitars that use that 'pattern' will be incredibly similar. They may differ by tiny fractions of a mm because each still needs to be hand sanded to ensure that no tool marks remain and its perfectly smooth but all the Pattern means is that they are made to the same 'pattern' - whether that's just Pattern, Pattern Regular, Patten Thin or most recently Pattern Vintage.

As you are asking about the thinnest, that would be the Pattern Thin. I assume you mean depth rather than width as all but the Pattern regular (which is slightly narrower according to specs) are the same width at he nut

I think the wide/thin in the SE line is narrower frets to back than pattern thin. My tiny hands tell me so.

Back