Neck Question: S2 Pattern Regular vs Core Pattern

tolm

Okay, pretty quick question ... possibly not a quick post!

My favourite neck profile - of any manufacturer - is the PRS Pattern / Wide Fat. Not sure exactly what changed between the two, I think I maybe prefer the Pattern over the Wide/Fat, but they both feel pretty much perfect to me: I love the size, the feel and the slight "V" to the shape.

So, I'm currently in the process of saving up for a second PRS to go alongside my Paul's guitar. A single-cut would be great but I don't like the 24.5 necks: shape doesn't feel the same to me and not keen on the lower string tension doesn't float my boat.

I also know I love 57/08 and other derived (408, NF) pickups so I reckon I need a McCarty 58. I also reckon they're too expensive for me just now.

So, this brings me on to my question: I've always liked the look of the Mira but the 24 fret version had a neck that was too skinny and the 245 Soapbar would have been perfect if only it had been a 250 Soapbar. Now the S2 series rocks up ... 25" scale length and 22 frets ... GREAT ... wait, Pattern Regular necks ... *doh*

So, I had a bad experience at a local dealer (another story ...) the other day but I did get to try out an S2 Custom 24. That's also a Pattern Regular neck but it felt much chunkier than the old 24 fret Regular/Standard necks I've played before and - if I'm not mistaken - did I detect a hint of V? Now, they didn't have a Mira or Starla so I couldn't check a 22 fretter for comparison ... although I did check a Core Custom 22 with Pattern neck which immediately felt like "home" ... and I've kinda fallen out with the guys running the store so can anyone with experience of the S2 Mira Pattern Regular and the Core Line Pattern neck profiles comment on similarities/differences? Maybe the Pattern Regular is just closer to the Pattern than the old Standard/Regular was to the Wide/Fat?

Any thoughts and insights, would be most welcome!

I haven't played a S2 neck, or any other pattern regular. I have an '05 with a wide/Fat and an 07 with a regular neck (Mira). I do notice a difference if I have been playing one for a while and then switch to the other. However, it takes me all of maybe 1-2 minutes and then I have forgotten. They both feel great to me. I do not like Wide-Thins because they are just too thin. However, the Regular neck and Wide-fat are the same thickness front to back, just the nut width of the Regular is 1/32nd of an inch smaller.

All the S2s have the same neck carve. If you liked the S2-CU24, you'll probably like the Mira as well.

Cheers! Yeh, I read the specs on the PRS website, just interested to hear from folks who have both. In the past, I've been okay with Regular/ Standard necks that are 22 frets but the 24 fretters felt too thin. Wondered if the move to Pattern Regular / Pattern had changed the differences vs the Wide/Fat and Regular necks.

Back