Neck profile question

yamyam76

Hi all,
I am in the market for a USA Custom 24 - looking for one in good condition on Reverb and it appears there are plenty to consider. Most of these used guitars are sporting zero return policy unless the guitar shows up jacked up, which makes perfect sense. However, I'd obviously like to lay my hands on the guitar to see how much I like the neck etc before dropping a few grand with no return possible. The problem is that I can't find one at any of the even remotely local shops by me except for a 2008 model. Just wondering if anyone knows how different the neck \ body shape are (or aren't) from 08 to say a 2019 or 2020? I know, I could get one from GC or Sweetwater, try it out and then return it, but that just seems....dirty (trying it out without really having any intention of keeping it and buying it used instead).

So, to re-state my question after all the BS background above: If I go try out the 2008 Custom 24 and like it, would it be reasonable to expect I'd like a 2019+ model or are the necks\bodies different enough where I need to find some way to play one of those?

Thanks!

The construction of a 2008 custom is going to be similar to something more recent. The difference will be the tuners (phase ii vs phase iii), the pickups, pickup bobbins (square vs round), pickup rings (I think), pickup selector, and depending on what year, the finish (v12 vs nitro).

PRS has offered several different neck shapes over the years though, and they can vary on two otherwise identical guitars. I generally played Ibanez and other shredy guitars before seeing the light and getting a PRS, so I blindly went for the thin profile and was very happy with it.

Not sure if that helps… but that’s what I got. Maybe go try that 2008, and see what you think? Hopefully the seller knows what neck it has, or has the hang tag.

Last edited:
The newer Custom 24's (ballpark 2015-ish) have one of two neck carves, both of which are pretty thin whereas the Custom 22's generally have a thick neck carve. These newer neck carves are called "Pattern Thin" and "Pattern Regular" on the CU24's and the CU22's the neck carve is called just plain "Pattern". These represent the time when PRS achieved a new level of perfect consistency thanks to some very precise computer assisted drafting and some really expensive CnC machines. Figuring out which one you like best (by trying them in person somehow) would then give you the opportunity to then buy one sight unseen and have the confidence of knowing that you are going to like the neck carve after you open the shipping box.

Prior to the various "Pattern... X" neck carves, PRS used different methods of carving necks and you are not guaranteed to find the same exact consistency that you will find on the more modern neck carves.

Hope that helps.

The 2008 had two neck shapes so you will need to know what is on the one you try. They were the "regular" and the "wide thin". the wide thin sill be similar to the "pattern thin" on the new ones. The regular will be a bit thicker.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I am in the market for a USA Custom 24 - looking for one in good condition on Reverb and it appears there are plenty to consider. Most of these used guitars are sporting zero return policy unless the guitar shows up jacked up, which makes perfect sense. However, I'd obviously like to lay my hands on the guitar to see how much I like the neck etc before dropping a few grand with no return possible. The problem is that I can't find one at any of the even remotely local shops by me except for a 2008 model. Just wondering if anyone knows how different the neck \ body shape are (or aren't) from 08 to say a 2019 or 2020? I know, I could get one from GC or Sweetwater, try it out and then return it, but that just seems....dirty (trying it out without really having any intention of keeping it and buying it used instead).

So, to re-state my question after all the BS background above: If I go try out the 2008 Custom 24 and like it, would it be reasonable to expect I'd like a 2019+ model or are the necks\bodies different enough where I need to find some way to play one of those?

Thanks!

Necks are perhaps more consistent these days - although there is still some variation due to the hand sanding process to remove CNC tooling. There are numerous other 'changes' that have happened throughout the years - inc the Finish on body/necks. 2011 (or thereabouts) saw the introduction of the V12 finish and now use Nitro over CAB (from 2020), You also get different Pups, as the 85/15's were introduced in 2015, different Switches - they stopped the Rotary and switched to a 5-way.

In theory, they should 'feel' similar - depending on whether you have a Regular or Wide/Thin - Pattern Regular or Pattern Thin, even the Finish can make it feel different so I'd recommend trying each and deciding if it 'works' for you - but there have been numerous 'tweaks' throughout the years so you may prefer to find a 'newer' model or maybe an older one is perfect for you...

I found this link which specifies the different patterns, I have a custom 24, thin pattern, and I love it, no difficulty in playing the notes quickly and it feels good in hand, it remains very personal.

The difference shouldn't be huge between a 2008 and today. In any case you will surely be satisfied and we will see her soon!!??

There's also this nifty little graphic which shows each neck overlaid for some perspective on how big the differences are.
unknown.png

There's also this nifty little graphic which shows each neck overlaid for some perspective on how big the differences are.
unknown.png
It's interesting how similar the neck shapes are, yet these tiny differences still offer a different feeling when in the hand. It's similar to audio gear, for example, microphones. Most have tiny differences in their measurements, yet sound quite different.

Our senses are wonderfully discerning.

Back