Neck Pick Up Replacment suggestions for S2 McCarty 594

Chase

Loving my S2 McCarty 594 (so much that I'm thinking about trying to get a Core next year if possible) but the Neck pick up is a bit too dark for me. I have seen a few people suggest the 57/08 as a replacement but wanted to see what other solutions people had for this. Thanks in advance!

The 58/15LT’s in my core are tops, for sure, it’s the first time I’ve not found a neck humbucker dark and muddy. I’d hold out for one of (or a set of) those.

The 58/15LT’s in my core are tops, for sure, it’s the first time I’ve not found a neck humbucker dark and muddy. I’d hold out for one of (or a set of) those.
Yea your not wrong haha. These just go for around 600 for the set last I looked and people dont want to split them up. Bit out of my price range, if I shelled out 600 for those pick ups i might as well sell my current S2 and wait a bit to get a Core :)

After owning PRS core guitars, I'm actually happier with the S2 line. As a working musician, I never found the dished top to be comfortable while playing 4 to 8 hours a day. Plus, the 85/15s pickups sound better to me than the old Dragon II and McCarty pickups. I've installed a set of Porter, Gatekeeper pickups in my S2 Custom 22. Low wind, low output (6.8k), alnico II for the neck and low output (7.8k), alnico V for the bridge. They sound very good. I still have another CU22 for comparison. They sound a little more full range, than my 85/15s pickups.

My goal was to get a good, useful middle position sound, that isn't muddy. They are kind of like a Starla or Filtertron in the neck, with a PAF in the bridge. I got the set on sale: for $99. I couldn't be happier.

I’m not familiar with those particular pickups in there, but I don’t like dark neck pickups either. I LOVE the 5708 neck pickup. My favorite of all neck pickups for sure.

I’m not familiar with those particular pickups in there, but I don’t like dark neck pickups either. I LOVE the 5708 neck pickup. My favorite of all neck pickups for sure.

Porter is a custom guitar and pickup builder. Their pickups are also used by other custom builders (like Shur). I was surprised to find good spec built pickups, at such a low price.

Did you toss this in a S2 after market? or did it come stock?

Did you toss this in a S2 after market? or did it come stock?
I don’t have an S2. I got a 2012 stripped 58 that came with them. I had put 5909’s in that, then the 5708’s in my McCarty, which they still reside. I also had PRS put an uncovered 5708 in my PS. I play that guitar most. 5708 is my favorite neck pickup in pretty much any guitar.

Go bare knuckle! I did. I have a mule neck on my s2 594 singlecut. Such a sweet pickup.

I too have thought about upgrading to core…but after installing a bone nut (to match Paul’s vision for the core), upgrading the pickups, and upgrading the toggle switch…I can’t justify it. I love this guitar. It’s been my favorite PRS since the day I took it home. And for a single cut to weigh in at less 7.4 lbs blows my mind.

Go bare knuckle! I did. I have a mule neck on my s2 594 singlecut. Such a sweet pickup.

I too have thought about upgrading to core…but after installing a bone nut (to match Paul’s vision for the core), upgrading the pickups, and upgrading the toggle switch…I can’t justify it. I love this guitar. It’s been my favorite PRS since the day I took it home. And for a single cut to weigh in at less 7.4 lbs blows my mind.

What did you upgrade the Toggle Switch to?

Standard PRS McCarty toggle. Which is a modified switchraft brand I believe. The original that came with it was way too stiff for my liking.

I've got four S2's, that came with 85/15s pickups. I've replaced one with Porter Gatekeepers (as mentioned above) and another with Seymour Duncan, Saturday Night Specials. Both are good American made pickups. But, I can't match the middle position sound of the 85/15S's. Once I set the neck pickup really low, I got a really great sound.

Loving my S2 McCarty 594 (so much that I'm thinking about trying to get a Core next year if possible) but the Neck pick up is a bit too dark for me. I have seen a few people suggest the 57/08 as a replacement but wanted to see what other solutions people had for this. Thanks in advance!
Hi Chase

I'm new to the prs forum website so I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate. I want to install a pair of 57/08 into my S2 McCarty 594 thinline and do you know where I can get a wiring diagram to work from so I don't muck the job up ?

Mike Porter/mikeprs

This thread made me pick up my disliked S2 594 DC and play it thorough a Looper more seriously. Wound up with Allman-y type harmonies and chord progressions, and I am more into the guitar now...and don't want to get rid of it!

It needs the Gibson wiring done. I think my dislike was rolling the volume off and the tone loss, next mod project...and I'm putting on a brass nut.

Thanks for this post OP! It saved this guitar.

Back