Nashville, anyone?

Egads

One, Two, THIRTEEN!
Hey gang! I just got to Nashville for a conference and am looking for your favorite haunts for food, coffee, music, and of course guitar stores!

I've been told to hit Prince's for chicken. I've been here once before and went to the previous location of Gruhn and will check out the new location. Other than the honky tonks on Broadway, where else?

Thanks.

Eric

I lived in Nashville in the late '70's. I don't know if any of the places I hung out at are still there, so I may not be much help. If it's still in business, Ireland's has (had) great steak and biscuits. And Corner Music was one of the best music stores in the area. Linebaugh's Café on Broadway was good for Southern meat-and-two-veg lunch plates, and you never knew who you'd run into there--they were next to Ernest Tubb's Record Shop across from the Ryman, but with the touristification (is that a word?) of Lower Broadway, they may not be there any more either.

Man, I don't know how much time you might have, but if I were in Nashville I'd have to go to the Country Music Hall of Fame. The instruments alone are enough to get me in there!

Whatever you do, have a great time.

Goldtop

Arnold's Country Kitchen...google is your friend on this one.

Their hours are limited and the lines can be long. But it's a great "Meat and 3" that never disappoints!

Thanks, guys.

Limbaugh and Ireland's appear tip both be gone.

Corner Music is great. Among other really cool things, they had a satin SC Standard with P-90s that rocked. Gruhn had a couple cool PRSi, including a couple used PS and an SC Trem prototype.

Dang it! I went to Carter Vintage, which is right next to Arnold's. Had I checked this thread this morning, I would have hit Arnold's for I lunch. I may make it back over there. BTW, Carter had a sweet ME II.

Highly recommend the Country Music Hall of Fame. You can get a package that includes a tour of RCA Studio B. I thought that was gone but it's still listed on their website. You can also visit the Ryman Auditorium. If you're still there Friday or Saturday, catch a show at The Grand Ole Opry. The Broadway bars and restaurants have live music, sometimes as early as 11am until after midnight. Lots of nice guitar stores, even the Guitar Center has a Platinum Room that's great. The food in Nashville wasn't exactly a highlight of my trip, I think I had one decent meal in four days, I'll let someone else give recommendations.

P.S. I might get banned for this but I thought I'd point out that there's a Gibson Café at the Nashville Airport ;)

Hattie B's was good. I lucked out and got there about five minutes before the line built up. By the time I left, there were about 45-50 people in line (the place holds about 30 people!)

I've hit most of the guitar stores that sell electrics. My wife will be pleased that I haven't bought a guitar...yet. :)

Rock Block Guitars near Vanderbilt has a great selection of pedals. Corner Guitars is good. The Nashville GC is even not too bad. But my favorite is World Music Nashville, which is about 10 miles southwest of Nashville proper.

Thanks. I hit World Music yesterday. Nice guys and some different gear. No PRS gear, but some cool guitars and amps. I played a local studio musician's Mesa Mark IIIC+, which was very cool (and loud as hell!), A Two Rock Jet, which is one of my favorite amps, and a Tone King Falcon, which is an awesome living room amp.

In case anyone is waiting for a coffee report, Barista Parlor is great, as is 8th and Roast.

Last edited:
I love Nashville. I'm usually in town once or twice a year hanging with friends, playing, and buying cool gear.

Guitar Stores:

Rock Block - The best around for pedals... They have a few guitars, quite a few amps. I easily drop 1k every time I'm in there on pedals. I'm a pedal guy and they have 'em all.

Carter Vintage - A place that is super cool. A good selection of everything old and new - guitars, amps, and pedals. I bought an old guitar from them and was very pleased. Definitely better than Gruhn's IMHO. Gruhn's is not as welcoming IMO.

Gruhn's - Again, not my fav but you have to go at least once. He's got primo stuff in there.

World Music - Great shop with cool gear.

2nd Gear - Used music shop owned by the biggest session guy in town, Tom Bukovac. Haven't been in there yet but will be next time. Last time I was in town they were closed. Tom's a great guy though.

Corner Music - I haven't had much experience with them but the one time I went in it was a cool place.

Guitar Center - the platinum room is the second biggest, the biggest being LA. Great selection of vintage and new high end gear. Bought an old Fender Tweed Deluxe in there a few years ago on my first trip to Nashville.

Entertainment:

Robert's Western World - Probably my favorite place on Broadway. Honky-tonk with good food and traditional country music. I'm a shy introvert with fear of crowds (unless I'm onstage, then it goes away - confidence thing I guess) and Robert's is a calmer crowd than Tootsies and some of the other places. Love their grilled cheese and burgers and hot dogs. Great food and drinks, and my favorite bar band in the world - The Don Kelley Band featuring Daniel Donato - a smokin' player I'm proud to have met and befriended.

Tootsie's - Definitely one of the hottest clubs on Broadway. Slightly more modern music than RWW, which I dig too in addition to the music at Robert's.

The Stage - another honky tonk that has good music.

3rd and Lindsley - Great place to catch big name artists and session players playing live like Brent Mason and the Players, Tom Bukovac, Vince Gill and the Time Jumpers, etc.

The Family Wash - Great place with good music more set up in a restaurant setting than a bar/club setting. Be sure to catch Sons of Zevon with Audley Freed. He often brings in other Nashville cats to play classic rock covers.

Food:

Tough for me to help in this category as I don't like sitting in restaurants, especially noisy ones unless it's music. I also do not do formal dining, so keep that in mind. I normally eat in my hotel.

Wildhorse Saloon - Normally I avoid these types of places but was recommended to go and did once. Great food and great entertainment. Although it was a bit crowded and "high energy" for this tame guy. But great place nonetheless.

Elliston Place Soda Shop - An awesome little retro diner with good food and killer ice cream and milkshakes! Typical diner type food - sandwiches, burgers, fries, etc. But killer ice cream and jukeboxes on every table. Also, it's right next to Rock Block!

Last edited:
Back