NAD!

I have been debating going with 1 2x12, 2 2x12, or 1 4x12... I will be playing at low/house volume a lot but am looking at a 100w head for the reasons stated above. Thoughts?

I have been debating going with 1 2x12, 2 2x12, or 1 4x12... I will be playing at low/house volume a lot but am looking at a 100w head for the reasons stated above. Thoughts?
Personally, I'd do one 2x12. I have tried a 4x12 and a 2x12 and it's just overkill for the room I have stuff in. So, a 1x12 is my default cabinet. I really loved the 2x12 that I had, but went away from head/cab for awhile and got a combo. When I went back to head/cab I decided to let practicality rule and "settled" for the 1x12. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great. But, if I had just a little more room, I would do the 2x12. I'll add that I don't take any of that out of the house.

I'd recommend the 4x12 for clean tone. I only got two 2x12s because vanity (the violet fascias). I just like a 4x12 or 4x10 arrangement better -- it's slightly more immune to reflection effects, and the drivers don't travel as much so stay in their linear more (given the same volume). For easier speaker breakup, I'd go for a wide 1x12.

I am kinda thinking the vertical mesa 2x12 if I go the 2x12 route though I do have an amp stand that I could put a horizontal on. I don't play a whole lot clean but would like the extra dynamics of the multiple speakers. I have some slight concerns that the 4x12 is gonna be overkill but I don't want to give up great sound even if I don't fully utilize it most of the time. I am looking at either an Archon or a Rectifier or something along those lines so speaker breakup is probably low on my list of concerns with the amount of gain that will be on tap.

I don't play a whole lot clean but would like the extra dynamics of the multiple speakers.
Then yes, I think a 2x12 sounds perfect, although I couldn't say whether horizontal or vertical.

Last edited:
I would avoid using a stand. Moving a speaker cabinet even 3" off the ground has a huge effect on the lows. For me a vertical 2x12 is perfect, as you get the lows from the cab on the ground plus you get to hear it directly from the top speaker.

I would avoid using a stand. Moving a speaker cabinet even 3" off the ground has a huge effect on the lows. For me a vertical 2x12 is perfect, as you get the lows from the cab on the ground plus you get to hear it directly from the top speaker.

That's exactly why I would go with the Mesa 2x12 since no one else is making one like it with quality components.

I guess option 3 would be 2- 1x12 cabs... would that make any sense at all?

I'm seated on one of those guitar chairs like Robert Fripp uses, so yeah, my ear level is on level with the amp if it were on top. Maybe if I put it on a stand, I wouldn't need it, but I like the idea enough to try it anyway.

And: thank you! Yes, yes it is.

Back