NAD - Custom 50

I'm starting to feel the pull for one of these, for no earthly reason.

I'm guessing that the aliens who kidnapped me and implanted that mind-control device in my brain simply must dig amps and guitars. :eek:

It takes at least four amps to build a proper Fort.

No wonder I'm neurotic. I'm incomplete!

"Hello, Dr. Freud. I have this odd feeling, I have three great amps, but feel the need for more, even though rationally speaking, I am getting all the tones I want."

"Ach so! Vell, Mr. Les, vat you haff is vot I call der Fort-Syndrome. You zee, der man vidout der Fort is...shall we say...feeling unprotected. He feelss all alone, und misses his mutter und vater. Der solution is...go shopping."

"Dr., thanks so much, I feel much, much better now! What kind of amp should I look for this time?"

"Mr. Les, der kool guyss play PRS. Ja?"

Last edited:
Nice! When you try the Scumback in it can you tell me what tubes are installed?

Congrats!

I decided to leave the original speaker in there for awhile. I'm digging everything about this amp so far. Just love the diversity. As for what tubes are in it:
6L6
3 - 12ax7
2 - 12at7
1 - 12dw7

Or were you wanting to know brands?

12dw7 is a VERY odd tube. Where is it used? If I designed the amp, I would more likely use a 12AX7 and then a divide by 5 after one side just for general compatibility.

It must be an interior gain stage. It couldn't be a useful PI because it is seriously unbalanced. One side is gain = 100, the other is gain = 20. I don't know why anyone would even make such a tube. All it does is save two resistors.

It must be an interior gain stage. It couldn't be a useful PI because it is seriously unbalanced. One side is gain = 100, the other is gain = 20. I don't know why anyone would even make such a tube. All it does is save two resistors.

Found a good answer. 12AU7 is a good cathode follower. So a 12dw7 is ideal as a single gain stage with a cathode follower output.

I decided to leave the original speaker in there for awhile. I'm digging everything about this amp so far. Just love the diversity. As for what tubes are in it:
6L6
3 - 12ax7
2 - 12at7
1 - 12dw7

Or were you wanting to know brands?

Thanks for the info! So the layout is the same as the H. As far as the DW7 goes, the slot where yours is had an AT in mine. But the more I dig and read the more it sounds like the DW7 (AT in mine) is actually the effects send/return buffer. This actually makes sense as to why the output section on mine sounds so much bigger with the AX in place versus the AT.

Now I'm curious as to where the PI actually is!! On the far said of the reverb tranny perhaps?

Found a good answer. 12AU7 is a good cathode follower. So a 12dw7 is ideal as a single gain stage with a cathode follower output.

Indeed, the AU is a good cathode follower when used as a buffer....certainly in an effects loop. So now my question returns....where is the PI???

Back