N(U)GD: 2017 S2 Standard 22 Satin in Lavender Metallic Cures my S2 Aversion

LTigh

So yet another big regret of having wasted three years of my life in Colorado was that thanks to various life circumstances and through no fault of PRS itself, I had gotten soured on S2s to the point where I wasn't thinking of owning one ever again, since there were so many negative associations with said S2, what I acquired in order to compensate for life failure in the High Plains.

Because another Reverb deal I'd done had fallen through, I decided on a lark to look for a replacement to sink all the ducats I'd inadvertently saved due to a quick refund on the seller's part. During my Reverb search (yeah, Reverb bux) quite a number of S2s started popping up on the "HEY YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS TOOO" part at the bottom of the listings. Decided to pay attention, despite my misgivings about the S2 line thanks to the Curse of the Mountain State.

A good deal, save the exorbitant shipping cost, popped up on the feed. Turns out seller was about 10 minutes away from the day-job, so messaged them regarding a local pickup. Seller returned with an offer minus the shipping, plus a little bit of a "need to unload for my own Christmas Miracle" discount. Shekels were dropped, and went to pick up the new acquisition this morning following an unnecessary half-day at the day-job.

Pics, followed by ramblings. No unboxing, since local pickup, but came with comfy stock gig-bag and bag-candy.

Lavender sparklies.
tjEHqCj.jpg

85/15S in covered flavor.
tXr9xgw.jpg

Headstock with PRSh sig. Serial number starting with "17" on the back.
FOsqTbq.jpg

So yeah, helluva good deal on a 2017 S2 Standard 22 Satin, a nice bit less than the asking price of a new Custom SE. Some dings and buckle-rash on the back, but to be expected. Hog body was pretty light, too, which was a little surprising for an S2 (my previous S2 Cu24 was heavier, if memory serves me correctly). Also, compared to my previous S2 CU24, I'm beginning to favor 22 frets over 24 in my old age (and I like the neck pup tones better on 22-fret guitars vs 24). Old fart disease strikes again.

Didn't expect to enjoy the 85/15S, having tried the S2 Satins in the local GC with the uncovered pups and finding them meh-tier or worse, but the covers seem to un-muddy and refine them-- of course, thanks to the light-hog body, it were a bit less dark and boomy than what you may have expected. Also, when split, the single-coil tones were extremely serviceable, almost tele-like with a bit of quack. Unexpected.

Seller did a great job with set-up, plays like butter.

Still, though, the mad tinkerer in me is looking at a MannMade bridge swap (most likely the two-piece, since that would keep it around average price of a used S2 Standard Satin, but may decide to drop $50 more for the NOS depending on how bad the tinker is), jury is still out on the covered 85/15S, since I don't hate them as much as I thought I would.

tl;dr: Found an S2 Standard 22 Satin what cured my Colorado-induced distates for the entire S2 line. Or maybe the S2 found me. On Christmas Eve no less. It's a Christmas Miracle, Charlie Brown! GOD BLESS US EVERYONE!

Congrats beautiful guitar, I literally just finished jamming on my S2 Satin 22 in McCarty sunburst my favorite guitar, not sure why you were ever sour on the S2 line? I have 3 I love them but the internet seems to crap on them and I got all three for under a grand new...there is no better guitar for the money I keep saying it!

not sure why you were ever sour on the S2 line?

No fault of PRS or S2, it was a case of "Got S2 Cu24 to distract myself from everything in life at the time going pear-shaped (job transfer turned into nightmare scenario, a couple of bad medical scares, quite a number of good friends and relatives passed away during that time period, domesticide, hipsters, etc., etc., etc.), but stuff on the S2 were going pear-shaped as well (high altitudes and dryness were wreaking havoc on the poor S2, plus incompetent techs I took it to just kept making the problem worse), so it were a negative feedback loop, since I started associating everything going bad about Colorado to that S2, to the point where it was hated and when I finally unloaded it to get funds to escape that hell-hole of suck and fail I was just relieved to be rid of it."

Yeah, life in the Mountain State wound up being three years of stress and trauma, and rather than spread it throughout the rest of my life like the tumors what got cut out of me, I compartmentalized that mass of fear and loathing and tethered to that S2, because I'm weird like that. Also, thanks to Colorado, I can't drink wine anymore without suffering massive headaches (it were probably initially because of the low-grade altitude sickness what never went away, but imma guess it's psychosomatic now). Because weirdo.

So yeah, that time period weren't good to me, and eventually prejudiced me against S2s until now, when Lavender Sparkly* saved me from further bits of ridiculous human psychology.

As I said, Christmas Miracle, Charlie Brown.

*EDIT: And yes, her name is Lavender Sparkly now. Deal with it.

Last edited:
Lavender Sparkly is a fine looking guitar! Tough to find anything not to like about those Satin 22 S2’s. Merry Christmas to you, and may 2019 hold brighter and warmer days for you!

Glad you have started to self-heal, and maybe, one day, you can make a toast to Lavender-Sparkly (I love the name!) with a glass of red wine.

In the meantime, rock-on!

Back