My love/hate relationship with my S2 Standard 24

MarshallMike

I bought it new in 2017 because I love the tone....the tone and resonance. The neck is comfy as well.
I hate and I mean despise the location of the pickup selector switch. I never use the neck pup because I don't like fiddle farting around that trem bar to find the switch.
I actually ended up buying an S2 singlecut because of this. I do like really the singlecut but it is a different animal.
Am I abnormal concerning the switch or are there others guys like me?

I also think the location of the blade switch clashes with the trem. I deal with it, but I would prefer the toggle, had an older SECU22 with the toggle where the tone knob now is and that was perfect. The blade makes sense for a 5-way, but for a 3, give me the toggle.

It’s like having the gear shift under the gas pedal.

I suppose I’m grateful that the one trem equipped guitar I own with the blade there is an SE, so it wasn’t that expensive of a discovery for me to find out I don’t like it either but.... it has still relegated that guitar to the bottom of the rotation.

At least with the S2 Standards you can get a custom pick guard made, but it’s the main reason I don’t have a S2 Custom Semi hollow, and is an immediate dealbreaker for any of the new Custom 24/22’s.

It’s like having the gear shift under the gas pedal.

I suppose I’m grateful that the one trem equipped guitar I own with the blade there is an SE, so it wasn’t that expensive of a discovery for me to find out I don’t like it either but.... it has still relegated that guitar to the bottom of the rotation.

At least with the S2 Standards you can get a custom pick guard made, but it’s the main reason I don’t have a S2 Custom Semi hollow, and is an immediate dealbreaker for any of the new Custom 24/22’s.
Exactly!
Ok, so, it's not just me!
When I bought it, it didn't have the bar on so I never noticed. It was one of those....spontaneous purchases. The guitar felt and sounded so good I didn't think about the trem and switch. Afterwards I thought maybe I would just get use to it.
I am kind of dumbfounded that PRS thought that position was ok. I know some of the CU22s have it where the tone knob is but I have never played one. I don't know if I would like that any better.

No matter where they put it, someone’s not gonna like it. Just one of those things, really.

Lots of players like a blade (I do), lots prefer a toggle, lots prefer a rotary. And there are various locations on different guitars that lots of people say, “Well, if the switch was in a different place...”

A manufacturer can’t please everyone with this stuff. It’s a wonder they can please anyone in every detail, really.

There was a brouhaha over the upper horn switch location on the 594 when it came out, because people didn’t like the look of the location, never mind the ergonomics! And yet, it became a best-seller and was universally reviewed well in the trades.

I’m guessing PRS knows all this, and takes it all with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Totally. I’m sure if I fiddled with the tone knob constantly the old placement would irk me.

Right?

We all have different hands, different ideas about what works ergonomically, etc. So one player’s idea of perfect is another player’s idea of torture.

Thing is, you could order a custom PS or some other guitar that has all your details right, but you’re still not going to know what it will sound like when it’s done. And therein lies the rub.

Perfection is a hard thing to attain.

The guitar felt and sounded so good I didn't think about the trem and switch. Afterwards I thought maybe I would just get use to it.

I feel you, but as @garrett pointed out you can totally fix your problem with a custom pick guard. That and the fact that I honestly think all mahogany guitars sound better are part of the reasons why I think the S2 Standard 22 and 24s are kind of the “sure shot” of the S2 line.

If the guitar sounds and feels great, why not modify it to suit your preferences?

I have found that I don't use the trem bar on my PRS' with blades. If I do, then the arm points out behind the bridge. Kind of a pain to use, but I have a technique that works for diving. But, truthfully, if I really want a trem it's gonna be for heavy use and I grab one of my old Floyded shredders.

I have 2 S2 Standard 22s and I never noticed the blade switch in a bad spot, I use the trem sparingly on recordings though but theyre my favorite guitars...the volume nob on a strat, well that's for a thread on a different forum...lol

I have no problem with the switch blade on my Standard 22 or its location, but...

Where can I have a custom pick guard made?

Back