My Life In A Boy Band

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
Went to see Steve Byrne Friday at the Improv here. It's technically the second time I've seen him live - he did a surprise appearance a few weeks ago when I went to see Doug Stanhope. Very funny show.

At the end, he said he'd always wanted to be in a boy band, and he was going to put together a boy band on the spot. He picked a couple people out of the audience - not asking, demanding - and pulled up two of the openers. We were laughing, and then he looked at our table and said, "Oh, I gotta have that." And I knew my son was going on stage.

Anyway, Steve said, "Oh, I gotta have that - my man in the black t-shirt and glasses."

Wait a second, my son doesn't wear glasses.

I do.

Yep - I got pulled up to be in Steve Byrne's boy band, Sausage Party. He told us what to do, that we were to follow his moves until he did a certain thing, then we were to just chill while he did his solo spot. Then we were to all get our own solo spots - dancing for a girl he brought up from the audience (a very cute blonde).

I should mention at this point that my wife was howling and my son was frantically getting his iPhone ready.

Then he assigned each of us our band nicknames (the two comedians got to pick theirs). Mine? The Sexecutioner.

Everybody was doing a pretty basic lap dance, and given my dancing inabilities, I wasn't sure what the hell I was going to do. It got down to the guy before me, and the light bulb went off over my head. My wife said the crowd seemed to be favoring me - until I got up and leaned over and it looked like I was just giving the girl a hug.

Nope. I asked her to stand up and bend over the chair. To be honest, I didn't really hear much of the crowd, but my wife said they lost it.

Afterwards, we stuck around to get pictures w/Steve (I asked the other two comedians to be in the picture for a 4/7ths band reunion). Steve thanked me for being a good sport, and I said, "Are you kidding? That was a blast!" He said it was one of his favorites, so I felt like it came off better than I thought.

I asked my son if he took pictures, and he said, "Oh, hell no - that was video material!"

Then, walking back to our car, a car passed on the road behind us, and we heard a voice shout "Sexecutioner!!!!"

Yeah, ain't a chance in hell I'm letting my wife forget about this.

Second from the right...

B4tJUJpCAAEYiuo.jpg

Very cool Alan! I went to Steve's show here at the Improv a few months back. He did the boy band bit here as well and it was great fun. Glad you got the "full" experience!

Back