My Gibson is just sucking!

From my experience, SG's can be finicky s.o.b.'s. I hate the ones with the Vibrola system, and never seem to get them to intonate right. @Lola, does yours have a trem system?
I will always recommend locking tuners, no matter what. Takes so much guesswork out of the tuning keys.

No it doesn’t have a trem on it.

My Parker has locking tuners. I love that guitar so much. You are always guaranteed of picking up a perfectly tuned guitar. For me that’s perfect.
They should have made an adjustment in McCarty models and put locking tuners. Why not?

No it doesn’t have a trem on it.

My Parker has locking tuners. I love that guitar so much. You are always guaranteed of picking up a perfectly tuned guitar. For me that’s perfect.
They should have made an adjustment in McCarty models and put locking tuners. Why not?
I think locking tuners are standard in all cores, all the phase 3 tuners (made by Gotoh I might add). All SE and S2 as far as I'm aware don't come with them as stock features. It would make them more expensive, sure, and we all have preferences on lockers. I like the big thumb wheel design from Gotoh, but you also have a post cap design and the John Mann version with a threaded post and a big screw on the top. They really should be standard though at least on S2 models... post winding is so tedious.

I think locking tuners are standard in all cores, all the phase 3 tuners (made by Gotoh I might add). All SE and S2 as far as I'm aware don't come with them as stock features. It would make them more expensive, sure, and we all have preferences on lockers. I like the big thumb wheel design from Gotoh, but you also have a post cap design and the John Mann version with a threaded post and a big screw on the top. They really should be standard though at least on S2 models... post winding is so tedious.
I’am sure that any of us that own an S2 would put out the cash for locking tuners. I would pay extra $ for sure. Don’t get me wrong I do love my S2 but my Parker will always be #1. It has never ever let me down.

Last edited:
I’am sure that any of us that own an S2 would put out the cash for locking tuners. I would pay extra $ for sure. Don’t get me wrong I do love my S2 but my Parker will always be #1. It has never ever let me down.
I agree, I think most people would be fine shelling out an extra $60 for having stock locking tuners. I rather wish it was like that for SE's. Always wanted to try a Parker, they look pretty rad.

The Answer!
Simple and cheap:
Lubricate the nut slots.
Locking tuners for tuning issues is a myth, unless you are horrible at wrapping strings on the tuning pegs. They are great for faster string changes but do nothing for tuning issues, IMHO.

First, replace strings then stretch strings very well. Tune to pitch then pull each string out of nut slot and then add a touch of lubricant (Nut Sauce). Then tune each string up and down a few times before returning to pitch. This gets the lubricant in that slot best.

I own a really nice sounding Gibson LP Traditional that has to have this done every so often.....does the trick each time. My PRS guitars can hold tune a tiny bit better but I do the same to them as well not to mention every guitar I own that does not have a locking nut.

I find the "need to tune every 5 minutes" thing is usually from new, or old, strings (or temp changes, but you covered that.) Before taking it into a tech I think it would be worth it to replace the strings, get them broken in, and see if the problem persists.
'
Oftentimes the problem (and the solution) is far more simple than we think (needs a tech, new tuners, etc.). You said the guitar was "fine before". I suspect the strings are past their prime. Don't make work for yourself- try the easy stuff first.

All solid advice... best ways to remedy the issue, if you must have a Gibson:

1. A luthiers knot, which pinches the string to the tunning post.
2. If you have some cash, ditch the plastic Green Key tunders & get a great set of Gotoh; locking if you don't like the luthiers knot process. Higher gear ratio is better, but an 18:1 will do.
3. Sometimes the nut grabbing can do this; have the local luthier file the string slots in any strings catching or not fitting properly.
4. Sometimes an upgrade to a solid machined aluminum tailpiece & locking posts is the best investment you can make.
5. Have a luthier check the truss rod to make sure the relief matches the tension of strings you're using.
6. Really old strings are not only dirty but will naturally have a harder time holding a tuning. That's the cheapest investment on the list.

If you do the whole list, I bet it plays like new...

All solid advice... best ways to remedy the issue, if you must have a Gibson:

I don’t have to have a Gibson standard SG but it was a present from my dear sweet husband and it ain’t going no where. The way you worded things is very odd.

This is not my first rodeo. Thank you for all the tips but the only thing I didn’t do on my strings was a luthiers knot and it doesn’t have a tail piece. It’s just a 1995 stock standard. A plain Jane.

I have so many gift cards for my local music store. I am currently not buying anything from them so I want to use my gift cards. I will get the tech to do a complete setup. Ya I decided to leave these matters to my luthier. I am not touching it!

Last edited:
I don’t have to have a Gibson standard SG but it was a present from my dear sweet husband and it ain’t going no where. The way you worded things is very odd.

This is not my first rodeo. Thank you for all the tips but the only thing I didn’t do on my strings was a luthiers knot and it doesn’t have a tail piece. It’s just a 1995 stock standard. A plain Jane.

I have so many gift cards for my local music store. I am currently not buying anything from them so I want to use my gift cards. I will get the tech to do a complete setup. Ya I decided to leave these matters to my luthier. I am not touching it!
Your call of course.

But the only way to keep your guitar in great shape all the time is to acquire just a few simple tools and skills, and then do that maintainence yourself.

Last edited:
Your call of course.

But the only way to keep your guitar in great shape all the time is to acquire just a few simple tools and skills learn to do that maintainence yourself.

I will do basic maintenance(clean it, change strings) but when it comes to situations where I am ignorant for lack of knowledge this is one that I will gladly let slip.

SGs are cool guitars, with many many hits behind them to prove it. The issues caused by the angle after the nut are well known and easily remedied. I played an SG as my main guitar for a long time. It was a rock n roll machine.

I obviously prefer my PRSi, but the SG can be a solid performing instrument. Once you get those strings off and nut lubricated, you’ll be happy with it again.

SGs can certainly be troublesome instruments, but I certainly prefer them to LPs. I have a couple - a '61 and a Custom Shop - and they give me the somewhat thinner sounds I like working with, getting much closer to my favourite S-types than LPs can generally manage.

SGs can balance poorly, but I have a grippy strap and wear mine pretty low, which seems to deal with the worst of it. They both hold their tune and intonate well: the oldie because the nut was properly cut at the factory back then, and the much later Custom Shop because .....well, we tore the neck to bits, then rebuilt it as it should have been in the first place.

My main complaint about them is their relative fragility, as they're a bit of a structural design disaster. One drop while playing, and either of them would probably be toast: most especially the oldie, with its thin neck/body joint, barely remaining top over the control cavity routing, and skinny neck/headstock transition.
I would really like to try the S2 McCarty Thinline. Seems like it would be a great alternative to an SG.

Fresh strings and a good setup goes a long way on an SG. I have a 2016 Standard that is a rock solid guitar. It has some of the best rock tones in it. Mine stays in tune very well. Many times it is a nut issue if you are having tuning issues with a Gibson.

I bought the one I have because is was a factory mistake and wasn't supposed to get out of the factory. It got shipped to a store somewhat near me that I go to occasionally. One of the guys that worked there showed it to me one day in the shop. He called Gibson about it and they told him to ship it back. He hung it on the rack for sale. He thought it was some sort of special model because the appointments on it didn't match the current guitar line and it wasn't a special edition. After I bought it I spent a little time playing it and couldn't believe how good it played and sounded. I am not sure if any others made it out the the factory like mine but if there were any others, there are very few. This may be the only one. I tried to get them to admit it through email so I would have it in writing and all they would say is "it sure is a mystery."

If nothing else worked, try install a Tusq nut and use strings one gauge heavier?

When my 2019 LP had tunning issues I found out the tuner holes were oversized and "chewed", I have to bring to my local luthier to plug and redrill it.

Back