Disappointed with my first PRS

mmtt

Hello,

I bought a 2022 custom 24 se couple days ago. Guitar is new and I have to say I’m a bit disappointed with it.

The paint quality is kind of ****. Neck is getting a lot of swirls and it’s fuzzy looking after just couple of days. I do not wear any jewelry btw. I have a Chinese made epiphone lp that’s like 12y old that I bought new that looks better than my se, wtf?

Tuning is not really stable any bend will get it out of tune :(

I’m starting to wonder is cor-tec qc so **** and it is worth taking this guitar for a setup or it is just a total lemon?

Welcome! Don't let it discourage you, PRS is an excellent brand that's very addictive.

That said, sucks and sorry to hear about your experiences so far. I'm with you, se QC consistency isn't what it once was. Some great se out there but more and more unnecessary issues from the factory. Either way not real cool to be the guy that got a "lemon" from a brand known for quality like PRS.

Good news is with a little TLC, full setup, and maybe even some mods they become killer guitars! If it's worth it to go down that road is up to you. Personally, I'd score a used s2 standard and be happy about that for years to come. It's where I wish I began my PRS journey. But there really is no wrong answer when it comes to PRS.

Last edited:
Are you saying the finish is getting scratched up just from playing the guitar? And this is happening on the neck?

The other things sound like it needs a good setup.
IMG-6079.jpg

Yes. Got the guitar on Friday and here’s the back of the neck. Again, I don’t wear jewelry and I do work in IT so my hands are not rough like a builders hands.

IMG-6079.jpg

Yes. Got the guitar on Friday and here’s the back of the neck. Again, I don’t wear jewelry and I do work in IT so my hands are not rough like a builders hands.
Interesting. I don't think that is typical. I always do a full setup and put a coat of polish on my guitars when I first get them. That helps keep the fine scratches away like you are getting and makes it play like I want it to play. I know some folks don't know how to do that type of work in their guitars. It is worth every penny if you have someone good you can take it to. It can be a night and day difference in a guitar.

You may be able to polish those scratches out. Black backs show EVERYTHING.

since you only had it a few days I would contact the people you bought it from
The normal quality on a PRS is much higher even on the SE
a Custom 24 is a great guitar
I have a SE Custom 24-08 and love it
if you cant send it back Contact PRS
That is not typical wear on any SE

Haven’t actually checked the neck on mine since playing it so much but will have a look SE CU24-08. I bought used also but didn’t notice anything striking when setting it up. My SE Tremonti is all black so I’ll give that a look to as that’s been kicking around since 2008

since you only had it a few days I would contact the people you bought it from
The normal quality on a PRS is much higher even on the SE
a Custom 24 is a great guitar
I have a SE Custom 24-08 and love it
if you cant send it back Contact PRS
That is not typical wear on any SE
I have 11 days left to return it so checking here first and also want to take it to my local technician I used for other guitars and I was happy with results. I mean, it’s not an expensive guitar but I did expect more tbh.

If you want to get a setup first and see how it plays it comes down to how much the other stuff bothers you, Always an option to return and look for another sourced elsewhere, as has been said, It's not typical, and an SE isn't a "Cheap" guitar so there are certain expectations when buying one, I bought my two used, but love them both.

If you want to get a setup first and see how it plays it comes down to how much the other stuff bothers you, Always an option to return and look for another sourced elsewhere, as has been said, It's not typical, and an SE isn't a "Cheap" guitar so there are certain expectations when buying one, I bought my two used, but love them both.
I'm not really bothered by the swirls a lot but it's a bit odd that the finish is so soft? Anyway, I'm gonna take it a guy that did setup my other guitars to have a look and see if it's a keeper or not.

For what its worth the scratches wouldn't bother me in the long run on a keeper guitar. I typically satinize those necks anyhow. Fresh on purchase new it would irk me a bit.

Those scratches are not normal wear. Do you wipe down the guitar with a cloth after playing or are you using a cleaner that could possibly be causing the fine scratches? Tuning could improve with a set up or just try changing the strings and stretch them really well after. The tuners on the se are not great, but they should hold tune good. I just bought an SE HB2 piezo and replaced the stock tuners with the PRS lockers. It might stay in tune slightly better than stock, but they feel much smoother.
Try the easiest thing first. Stretch the strings that are on there. If that doesn’t help tuning, put new strings and stretch them in good. Keep stretching and retuning until they hold pitch. Fine scratches are going to happen. I have my guitar for two weeks and don’t even use a pick most of the time and I have fine scratches on the upper bought on the treble side.

Last edited:
Those scratches are not normal wear. Do you wipe down the guitar with a cloth after playing or are you using a cleaner that could possibly be causing the fine scratches?
Not every time but even so, the marks are where my hand mostly travels. Top and bottom of the neck are OK.

It is definitely possible for there to be an issue with the finish. I bought a fender troublemaker telecaster when they first came out. It was an awesome guitar, but the finish started chipping off all around the binding within the first month of getting it. Fender was not able to fix it so unfortunately I had to return it. From what I gather from other peoples experiences with PRS customer support, they stand behind their products and will do the right thing if warranted.

Last edited:
yeah that definitely appears that something abrasive is touching that neck. But nothing a little virtuoso polish wouldn't buff right out. But it's new, so if it is bothering you and you are in your return window, just return it, and keep returning it until you find the one you want.

What does the rest of the guitar look like? Can we see the front?

Back