My Fort Is A Moving Target Because Lesteban Is Crazy.

Dear Abby:

I'm Les, and I have a problem. My alter-ego, Lesteban, is nuts.

I get my amps all set up the way I like them, and Lesteban thinks they should be set up a different way. So we do that. Then I think they were best the way I had them set up in the first place, and switch them back.

I will play only PRS amps, and Lesteban seems to like Mesas, even though the PRS amps clearly sound better. To top everything else off, we have different tastes in microphones, and I am NOT happy with his session work, because he overplays.

I like Lesteban! I'm all for thinking outside the box.

Man Les, checked out the instagram photo. That's just too cool!!

Right?

Here's how great Laurie was: I had a couple of the ad agency guys with me on these sessions, and after Laurie played, they got out lighters and did the concert thing!

Laurie is one of the most talented and amazing guitar players I've ever worked with, and not only that, is a super-nice guy. We worked together twice in Europe, and had a great time.

The drummer on those sessions was Chuck Sabo, who's played with Elton John, Brian Eno, XTC, Brian Adams (the list goes on and on).

I played bass and keys. So for two weeks I was the worst musician in a band that was so good, that engineers and musicians recording in other rooms in the studio would come into our sessions just to get a listen.

I kept apologizing to them for not being up to their level, but they were good natured about it. ;)

I am glad that "fort" has stuck. I am slowly building mine back up after having moved from house with a basement to a condo that would have fit inside of my previous fort.

I am glad that "fort" has stuck. I am slowly building mine back up after having moved from house with a basement to a condo that would have fit inside of my previous fort.

You bet it stuck! Great descriptor!

I did the same thing, by the way, my condo is tiny compared to my house. But once the kids grew up and left home, there wasn't a need for it. So...

I do miss the space, though.

You bet it stuck! Great descriptor!

I did the same thing, by the way, my condo is tiny compared to my house. But once the kids grew up and left home, there wasn't a need for it. So...

I do miss the space, though.

I miss it sometimes as well. At least my commute has been shortened. It's about 350 feet now.

I miss it sometimes as well. At least my commute has been shortened. It's about 350 feet now.
Ha! That's a good thing!

I haven't commuted since I had a law practice, in 1991; my studio's been in my house for the last 25 years.

Though I will say that working at home makes me a little crazy in the winter, when I basically never have to leave the house. What's that you say? Go...outdoors?

I can't go outdoors. I'm afraid of outdoors...

Ha! That's a good thing!

I haven't commuted since I had a law practice, in 1991; my studio's been in my house for the last 25 years.

Though I will say that working at home makes me a little crazy in the winter, when I basically never have to leave the house. What's that you say? Go...outdoors?

I can relate. My commute for the past 7 years has been down two flights of steps from the bedroom to the basement. Sometimes I miss the human interaction. Most times I don't. Although, the dogs have been looking at me weird for the past couple of years.

Ha! That's a good thing!

I hear you on house crazy. I walk most everywhere now. Work, doctor, food, groceries, it's all so close. I have to get in my car and go somewhere once a week else I go a bit loopy.

I can relate. My commute for the past 7 years has been down two flights of steps from the bedroom to the basement. Sometimes I miss the human interaction. Most times I don't. Although, the dogs have been looking at me weird for the past couple of years.
I hear you on house crazy. I walk most everywhere now. Work, doctor, food, groceries, it's all so close. I have to get in my car and go somewhere once a week else I go a bit loopy.

One has to get out every day, and I, uh, don't always do that.

That's why I'm as crazy as I appear to be based on my posts.

I not not obsess about guitars, amps, pedals, cables, software, synthesizers, monitors, acoustical treatment, decor, microphones, processors, direct boxes, or anything else music-gear-related today.

I must not be feeling well or something...:rolleyes:

Bored? Select one important component of your pedalboard and remove it. See how you get by.

Bored? Select one important component of your pedalboard and remove it. See how you get by.

I do that all the time!

In fact, last week I took my tuner off the board, to see if I could live with the one built into the H9. I can, and it's staying off. Now I have more room for another noise-making pedal! :)

I do that all the time!

In fact, last week I took my tuner off the board, to see if I could live with the one built into the H9. I can, and it's staying off. Now I have more room for another noise-making pedal! :)
Yeah! New toy!

Gee, maybe instead of complaining about moving amps because you are getting old, you could buy a Kemper, profile all of your existing amps and then store them in a cool dry place in your abode, and run the Kemper direct.

If you prefer the live mic approach, the Kemper can do that also. I am waiting on a Marshall Code for live work, but those may also be used direct. While the purist in one of you may feel that going direct is a "no-no", my back thanks me for removing 85 pound amps from the list of things I need to move ever again without help.

FYI: My Kemper can hold 1495 amps in the "All Rigs" section. I have 4 other sections as well.
You can profile as many varieties of only one amp as you deem necessary to cover all of your favorite sounds from that one amp, still tweak each profile as needed, and still have stupid amounts of room left for other amps. The abilities of the Kemper are only limited by you and your alter-ego's ability to come up with tones you want to use. :)

By the way, I never let my alter-ego use my gear. Let that idiot buy his own gear to use.

Gee, maybe instead of complaining about moving amps because you are getting old, you could buy a Kemper, profile all of your existing amps and then store them in a cool dry place in your abode, and run the Kemper direct.

I have tried one, and...it was awesome cool but also just not my thing. I think it's partly feel, and partly what tubes do when you've got them going, but I just couldn't make the Kemper work out for me.

I do respect the hell out of their technology, though!

Also, my son was in over the weekend for my daughter's wedding, and while on tour, a few of his pedals stopped functioning properly at their last show for some reason, so I insisted that he take my Eventide H9.

Now I have to get another one and/or put some other stuff back on my pedalboard...this gear thing never ends, does it?

Back