Music Nomad F-one oil thoughts.

I use Fret Doctor, which is a rosewood oil used in the bore of rosewood wind instruments. I have been using it for years. One little bottle lasts for years because you don't need much of it. What better to put on a rosewood board than rosewood oil. This was what a bunch of us used back in the early BAM days. That is how I heard about it. This was long before PRS put out any sort of fretboard product. Of course I only use this on rosewood fretboards, which is the bulk of my collection.

I use Fret Doctor, which is a rosewood oil used in the bore of rosewood wind instruments. I have been using it for years. One little bottle lasts for years because you don't need much of it. What better to put on a rosewood board than rosewood oil. This was what a bunch of us used back in the early BAM days. That is how I heard about it. This was long before PRS put out any sort of fretboard product. Of course I only use this on rosewood fretboards, which is the bulk of my collection.
Great product. I know they changed ownership a few years ago, and new ones come in a new bottle. Like I said a few posts up, I still have a quarter of a bottle, but once I run out, I hope it's the same stuff with no recipe changes.

One little twist I started doing recently is - once I treat the board with a Fret Doctor, I apply a coat of Monty's wax. I have tested this on my Standard, and I was happy with the results. I was given two tins of this stuff - standard wax (instrument food) and a relic wax which I don't think I will use much.

Something else to say, a Nomad defense - all pro wood oils I ever tried smelled bad. Back in my EBMM days, I treated the neck of my JP7 with Starwax oil. Fantastic stuff - but the scent reminds me of old socks

I've been using food grade lemon oil for many year for fretboard conditioning and have the same bottle from 2007. A little dab will do ya, as the late McMurphy said.

I'm prob starting a discussion with that lemon oil bottle...and it smells so good!
Food grade lemon oil is a superb source of bacteria that can go rancid and will undoubtedly add to your enjoyment of dust and grime on the fretboard.

It's completely different stuff from standard guitar lemon oils, that are made of naphtha, and are intended to be wiped on and wiped off in order to get goo off the fretboard.

But don't take my word for it...

This is why I don't buy used guitars:

In the interest of enthusiastic guitar care, or just to show 'em off, guitar players will do things to the instrument that will only make the instrument worse. Putting all kinds of WTF stuff on fretboards, hanging them out to dry, destabilize, warp, collect gooey dust, over-polishing which is worse than not polishing, etc., and then they want to sell it as mint?

Yeah, that's a swell guitar but hey, look a the time! Gotta go!.

I've got lots of problems with you people...

Last edited:

In the interest of enthusiastic guitar care, or just to show 'em off, guitar players will do things to the instrument that will only make the instrument worse. Putting all kinds of WTF stuff on fretboards, hanging them out to dry, destabilize, warp, collect gooey dust, over-polishing which is worse than not polishing, etc., and then they want to sell it as mint?

I would like this post twice if I could. I saw people recommending and using all sorts **** on their guitars as it's six fucking quid. Therefore too expensive, so I use baby oil. Six Pound Sterling every ten years!

I have been there with used guitars, I can post some pictures but I wont - some of you may be eating

Have we started the Airing of Grievances?

Airing of Grievances started on day 1 of the internet, that's not an exclusively Festivus thing.

If I understand this thread I'm supposed to rub a potato on my fretboard then buff it with a dirty sock until the proper odor is attained? Silly me... I've been (sparingly) cleaning with naphtha then (sparingly) apply StewMac fingerboard oil then buff w/ a clean cloth.

Marley was dead, to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Schrooge signed it. And Schrooge’s name was good upon ‘Change for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a doornail.

Airing of Grievances started on day 1 of the internet, that's not an exclusively Festivus thing.

If I understand this thread I'm supposed to rub a potato on my fretboard then buff it with a dirty sock until the proper odor is attained? Silly me... I've been (sparingly) cleaning with naphtha then (sparingly) apply StewMac fingerboard oil then buff w/ a clean cloth.

Now you will know better

Great product. I know they changed ownership a few years ago, and new ones come in a new bottle. Like I said a few posts up, I still have a quarter of a bottle, but once I run out, I hope it's the same stuff with no recipe changes.

One little twist I started doing recently is - once I treat the board with a Fret Doctor, I apply a coat of Monty's wax. I have tested this on my Standard, and I was happy with the results. I was given two tins of this stuff - standard wax (instrument food) and a relic wax which I don't think I will use much.

Something else to say, a Nomad defense - all pro wood oils I ever tried smelled bad. Back in my EBMM days, I treated the neck of my JP7 with Starwax oil. Fantastic stuff - but the scent reminds me of old socks
I don't think I would put anything that has the word 'wax" in it on my wooden fretboard that has no finish on it.

I think it happens more with budget guitars. People are much more afraid to harm a guitar that they paid thousands for. But, I get what you are saying. I have bought most of my guitars new. I have a few that I bought used that were basically new. The people bought them and then were afraid to play them for the fear of damaging them.

I don't think I would put anything that has the word 'wax" in it on my wooden fretboard that has no finish on it.

I think it happens more with budget guitars. People are much more afraid to harm a guitar that they paid thousands for. But, I get what you are saying. I have bought most of my guitars new. I have a few that I bought used that were basically new. The people bought them and then were afraid to play them for the fear of damaging them.
I was indeed more or less kidding on the straight...

I've bought a couple of used-but-as-new PRSes over the years that I thought felt and sounded the way I hoped they would.

Doesn't mean the people who played them always washed their hands after pooping, just means I didn't find out!! Hey, perception is everything!

However, if I EVER sell one of my guitars you can rest assured that: (a) I washed my hands after pooping, because I'm that person; and, (b), the guitar was maintained by the book; and (c), you will never find a guitar as meticulously cared for.

This is why my wife always says, "The person who buys one of your guitars gets a MUCH better deal than you did, suckahhhh!!!"

In 2021 I traded in a three year old Grand Cherokee Ltd. with 7500 miles, and not a mark on it. The saleswoman told me she was going to buy it from her own dealership, and did.

My wife also says this makes me a complete loser. She's right!!

-- insert laughing until I cry emoji --

Last edited:
I was indeed more or less kidding on the straight...

I've bought a couple of used-but-as-new PRSes over the years that I thought felt and sounded the way I hoped they would.

Doesn't mean the people who played them always washed their hands after pooping, just means I didn't find out!!

-- insert laughing until I cry emoji --

You could always call your next composition -

“Pink Eye”

Back